What age do you think you should be allowed to drive a 350z?

Jake.Lowther

It should be similar to motorcycles, in My opinion, no disrespect to anyone, in the States the Z is number one or close to that for being crashed. Over here not so bad.

The motorcycle test route is now harder than ever but it's for a reason.

What younger people don't get is the hazards of driving, we can All drive but you cannot get experience without the time at the wheel. 

:thumbs: 

in the States the Z is number one or close to that for being crashed.

Yeah I've seen lots of that online, saying its one of America's or THE most dangerous car in america for dying in.  What are folk doing over there?! haha It's got to be young/inexperienced, it seems to be easier for young people ot have over their, either that or well paid jobs or mummy and daddy helped.  Z's not exactly a little hatchback with moderate power lol

Having done my bike test in the new format I can't say I completely agree with it.

I can understand restricting new people on power to try and ensure they get a bit of experience under their belt before jumping onto/into something quick and potentially more dangerous but I don't understand why they've changed the rules so that the restriction no longer comes off automatically after a certain amount of time. 

It cost me £1200 to get my full license and even now with a clean license and 4 years no claims insurers want £1000+ to insure me on an R6 whereas you can get someone in their 40s who's never ridden a bike before have a midlife crisis and jump straight onto an R1. 

I'm not sure how/if it could be done, but surely it'd be much safer and fairer to restrict based on experience rather than age. 

19 hours ago, AMT said:

Yeah I've seen lots of that online, saying its one of America's or THE most dangerous car in america for dying in.  What are folk doing over there?! haha It's got to be young/inexperienced, it seems to be easier for young people ot have over their, either that or well paid jobs or mummy and daddy helped.  Z's not exactly a little hatchback with moderate power lol

The thing I've seen loads of "guides"/YouTube videos or talk on American forums about how the 350 is a good starter car as they seem to think that it is low on power. I don't know where this comes from but it seems to be the standard thing for 16 year olds over there to think that it's a great starter car because of this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin747 said:

The thing I've seen loads of "guides"/YouTube videos or talk on American forums about how the 350 is a good starter car as they seem to think that it is low on power. I don't know where this comes from but it seems to be the standard thing for 16 year olds over there to think that it's a great starter car because of this.

That is mental!!!! My first car was an 850cc classic mini which (if I remember correctly) had about 30bhp.

16 hours ago, Jack94 said:

It cost me £1200 to get my full license and even now with a clean license and 4 years no claims insurers want £1000+ to insure me on an R6 whereas you can get someone in their 40s who's never ridden a bike before have a midlife crisis and jump straight onto an R1. 

I'm not sure how/if it could be done, but surely it'd be much safer and fairer to restrict based on experience rather than age. 

Very true. It seems that insurance companies do take age over experience. My mate passed his bike test the other year, aged 32 I think, and his first bike was a ZX6R. Think it only cost him something like £400 to insure it. Mad really as back when I passed my test, the normal route was a 250cc bike, then maybe a 400, then maybe a 600cc.  I think a lot of it might be bikes are cheap now. You can pick up an old R1 like mine for a couple of grand. A lot of the born again bikers dont seem to think that 35 years back a 1000cc bike probably kicked out 80bhp. Now its over double that.  To make you feel better, I just renewed my bike insurance and its costing me £80 to insure both my R1 and Ducati 996 on a multibike policy. :)

3 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

In 2015 32% of all casualties were aged 17-24 and the casualty rate really hasnt altered drastically year on year but serious injury has, so not sure the bike limit has any bearing personally.

Can't argue with the fact that young people are involved in way more accidents, I think that's a lot to do with their lack of experience rather than their age though.  Anyway the point I was trying to make is that the bike test and the way insurance prices are calculated is flawed. 

At the moment it's incredibly difficult and expensive for someone my age to get on a  big bike whereas it's very cheap and easy for someone older, it doesn't consider experience whatsoever. 

I started off riding trials bikes when I was 14, had a 50cc bike on the road when I was 16, bought my ZXR400 when I was 19, had it restricted for 2 years and now have been riding it de-restricted for another 2 years. 

You're telling me that just because I'm young(ish) that I'd be  way more dangerous on a 600 than someone who's middle-aged but never ridden a bike before?

1 hour ago, rabbitstew said:

To make you feel better, I just renewed my bike insurance and its costing me £80 to insure both my R1 and Ducati 996 on a multibike policy. :)

I'm glad you agree but I am incredibly jealous of that :lol:  This year I paid just over £200 so I think I'm just gonna keep the ZXR until I'm 25 then hopefully prices will drop to somewhere near reasonable, I can't warrant paying 5x the amount for something a little more powerful. 

24 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

I'm glad you agree but I am incredibly jealous of that :lol:  This year I paid just over £200 so I think I'm just gonna keep the ZXR until I'm 25 then hopefully prices will drop to somewhere near reasonable, I can't warrant paying 5x the amount for something a little more powerful. 

The ZXR400 is a cracking bike. Ive a ZXR750L2 in my garage ive had since 1996/97. Was my first "big bike". Crashed it loads in the early days, when I was young & foolish....  oh...  wait!  :lol:

EDIT: Not implying you are foolish, more that young people are more likely to crash as I proved when I was that age. :)

The younger you are, generally you will have less experience. The younger you are, possibly you'd be more inclined to want to show of a new car and an inexperienced driver showing off in a 350z is only going end one way. 

I personally think 17 would be fine to own a sports car.

• 2 weeks later...

Age means nothing really, depends on the ape behind the wheel :D I went from a 120hp mk7 fiesta to a 600hp supra when I was 20. Scared the life outta me when I first felt real power. im now 27, still have the supra and have just brought a 350. Going in reverse! 

Edited by Tkddave

47 minutes ago, Tkddave said:

Age means nothing really, depends on the ape behind the wheel :D I went from a 120hp mk7 fiesta to a 600hp supra when I was 20. Scared the life outta me when I first felt real power. im now 27, still have the supra and have just brought a 350. Going in reverse! 

What made you go from a supra to a 350z?

1 hour ago, Jake.Lowther said:

What made you go from a supra to a 350z?

Still have the supra mate, it just hardly ever gets used and spends its life locked in the garage. Always had a thing for the 350z and the idea was to have it as a fun car that I'll use more and won't worry about getting it wet if you get me. But to be fair it'll probably end up the same as the supra :D

13 hours ago, Tkddave said:

Still have the supra mate, it just hardly ever gets used and spends its life locked in the garage. Always had a thing for the 350z and the idea was to have it as a fun car that I'll use more and won't worry about getting it wet if you get me. But to be fair it'll probably end up the same as the supra :D

Fair enough I thought you was going to say something inspiring I could use in arguments against my mate, who believes the 2JZ is the best thing in the world and that I should put one in my 350z :lol:

11 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

2Jz is a great motor, but if you were going to all that expense i would just do what Wasso has done and put in a LS V8, i personally think some people get a bit starry eyed about the whole jdm thing.

I don't get why it's so hyped, like even the VQ35DE can be built to take 700+whp the 2J isn't that special :lol:

The supra still looks cool and sleek, I just think it's engine is overrated. My mate also has the Slow JZ version so its the 2JZ NA block :lol:

Its very strong in stock form and will take decent hp reliably without the need for forging, thats where it gets its kudos from.

Supra is a great looking car, but imho and not surprisingly being 10 years newer, the 350z is an infinitely better drive.

24 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Its very strong in stock form and will take decent hp reliably without the need for forging, thats where it gets its kudos from.

Supra is a great looking car, but imho and not surprisingly being 10 years newer, the 350z is an infinitely better drive.

Are you talkin about the twin turbo variation of the 2JZ becuase I thought the NA one wasn't that strong stock and could only take like 400hp

I've never ever heard a nice sounding 2JZ. Then again, I've never heard a nice sounding RB26DETT either: Maybe it's a Jap I6 thing?

They may be tuneable, but by god do they sound like a foghorn when you strap a decent exhaust to them.

29 minutes ago, Ekona said:

I've never ever heard a nice sounding 2JZ. Then again, I've never heard a nice sounding RB26DETT either: Maybe it's a Jap I6 thing?

They may be tuneable, but by god do they sound like a foghorn when you strap a decent exhaust to them.

V6 on the other hand has a nice raspy noise (I like it anyways haters)