Ring pile up

AMT

Wow.. it really is scary seeing this kind of thing and yet I can't wait to go back..

I was there in August and 2 days after I left there were a 10 car pile up at the bottom of the foxhole on a Sunday tourist day so wildly busy, I think 4 people were airlifted away. 

A part of me would like it to be safer with more marshals and things but that would also make it more expensive and take away some of the exhilaration, and possibly the name of the world's most dangerous race track.. glad nobody was killed in such a bad situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-07HK7nCV50

I think I will reduce the odds by sticking to well organised trackdays with most posts manned and the lights active.

marshal post.MOV

This was a clip from that point on my last visit to the Nordshleiife. i was quite slow at this point, even so my (lethargic) GPS just flicks to 90mph probably 98mph on the clock.

Ultimately the issue was massively compounded by the drivers themselves. The early crashers simply weren't looking where they were going as the big cloud of smoke should've brought them down to walking pace (the camera guy managed to see it and stop in time, why didn't the others?), along with parking in daft places. If you park before the accident, you're more likely to become the next accident: You really should always try and drive past it to park up. That said, in this case that would've meant the guy would have had to walk even further back before he could start flagging cars down, so a lose/lose scenario really.

The ones that panic and just mash the brake also contribute here. If they'd stayed calm and in control, they could easily have slowed down and driven around the obstruction. It's poor driving all round.

And despite all that, it just shows what a seriously dangerous place the Ring is. Also, it's why I'll never do a TF day there unless the car is 100% sacrificial or as insured as I can reasonably make it.

• 4 months later...