Potential New Car - Cash Purchase - Advice Please

Paddy78

I may be going to pick up a new car in a couple of days (Providing no show stopper issues are found during the inspection I have booked). The guys selling, who seems like a genuinely nice person, has said they want cash only. I've never had to carry around several thousand pounds in cash before so just after some advice from people that have done it before? I assume that cash purchases for cars are fairly common place. I assume I have no come back with a cash only private sale, but that's why I'm spending a few hundred on an inspection before I hand over anything. 

Anything else I should be aware of to stop myself from doing something stupid?

Edited by Paddy78

The guy runs a used car dealership, so I'm guessing he doesn't want the payment associated to his business. It's his private car. I have suggested a BACS, but he said no.

Edit: And yes, not getting mugged seems like a good plan! :)

Edited by Paddy78

Why not arrange payment and collection immediately after the inspection so the person doing the inspection is present. As part of the inspection they should check all VIN numbers etc. Ensure the seller brings proof of ID (passport) and proof of address etc.

I'm with BBK, done loads of cash deals I nearly always take a mate :lol:

Just be sure the car and seller are genuine as above photo proof of seller and the V5 along with an HPI check for the car and you are good to go :thumbs:

As above. It wasnt until my cars got above about 6 grand in value that I stopped dealing in cash, but anything below that and its pretty normal. Very often when going to view a car for the first time I would take the full asking price in cash in my car just in case I liked the car and could make the seller do an on-the-spot deal.

Keep the cash in your car, maybe with a mate until you need it. Whilst its always sold as seen, id still get a receipt with the sellers signature on it to say he has sold you the car on this date for this amount because its the sellers responsibility to send off the logbook and whilst most sellers are keen to get it in the post asap some may be slow.

Caveat emptor of course applies, but that can’t provide a defence for misrepresentation. So if the guy lies to you about the car, like saying he’s just had the clutch changed for example when he hasn’t, then you have legal recourse. 

Desperately wanting cash only is perhaps a tad odd but it’s the only way to be sure really, aside from forged notes... But as above, you MUST get a signed, dated and timed receipt, preferably a copy each. If he won’t do that, then I wouldn’t buy the car tbh.

The guy that bought my Zed brought the cash in a brown bag, it was a fair amount of money. He turned up with a mate and we literally walked to the bank together and I got him to pay the cash into an account of my choosing. The bank then checked all the notes and the money was safely tucked away when I handed over the keys. Clearly if the guy is dodging tax maybe he wants cash that doesn't touch any banking channel. As Dan said get receipts, clear written agreement on any work done that is part of the sale, that the car when sold has no major faults/noises etc. Just cover yourself as much as possible which you should do for any purchase really.

I would also download sample cash sale agreement of the internet (2 copies) for both parties to sign along with photographs of ID (driving license). You've already done all the ground work (HPI checks). Definitely bring a mate or few mates if possible. Keep the cash away and do it a public place as everyone have suggested, check the log book making sure he's listed on the it (same as his ID) or the person on the log book is actually there during the sale.

The car has passed all checks with flying colours and the seller has agreed to sign a sales form. I have ordered money to the local branch of my bank where I will immediately hand it to the seller in exchange for the keys and v5c.

Monday can't come soon enough! :D

I don't use cash for anything nowadays, why risk it?
It's not my problem if he wants to hide the tax etc.... that's on you pal.
I hope it all goes well, and we look forward to seeing what you get ( subject to approval, if its a BMW/Audi/Merc we'll be having words - if it's diesel it'll be a straight ban )