Owners from new: how did the boot open?

MDMetal

Hi guys, so I'm very curious to know how the boot originally opened. I've replaced the spring poppers with brand new Nissan ones from ewan and also the gas struts from sgs. Currently although the struts now hold the boot open I still need to heft it a bit to get them started. The boot often still fails to clear the latch fully. 

Given the springs are nissan branded and I'm assuming they are just meant to help the struts not to lift the boot entirely on their own then I'm thinking the sgs struts aren't rated the same as the originals? 

So owners did the boot seamlessly lift as soon as you tapped the button? Did it lift enough to clear the latch and then you need a gentle lift to get the boot to open fully? 

you can pack the rubber cover that houses the springs with something (eg pennies or preferably something with a big of give like a rubber grommet). that will in effect make the springs a little longer allowing them to push the boot clear of the catch. 

if you search on this forum for the "penny trick" you'll see some pics and a proper guide for it. as you probably already know the springs just come off with a twist, so no tools needed

to confirm what the others have said the button should make the boot clear the catch, but it won't open without  you lifting it. 

• Like 1

When I bought my zed new, all was good.

2 yrs later and the gas struts failed almost decapitated me on loading the boot.

Nissan replacement under warranty looked thicker than the original ones.

Now 10 yrs with the new struts and they are starting to lose strength in winter.

However, the boot started to need double clicking to open after about yr 4 or 5 of ownership despite struts being good.

Then, double clicking didn't work and I needed to click with one hand and lift with the other.

Tried this link

https://youtu.be/e4fkqew1828

Perfect.......even has a link to the perfect rubber washers on Amazon.

A year or so later......back to square one

Now I just live with it.

It's no biggy to me.

Kinda like being married to a fantastic fit wife for 12 years who lets one rip infront of you.

Yeah......on a first date you'd be like WHOA....WTF!

After 12 yrs you'd be like "NO WORRIES, IT'S ALL GOOD" :lol:

• Like 1