Overdevelopment / Planning App?

rabbitstew

If the Town Council is like our Parish Council, they comprise individuals who expertise/training n the planning process would be limited...at best.  Effectively they have no powers to determine planning applications and only have narrow local interests, as opposed to the wider public interest that forms the basis as to how planning decisions should be taken. 

So when you say the planning department is putting it "forward to be approved anyway", I would urge you to check the Planning Officer's report/recommendation as that is what carries weight and if anything is found wanting there check out the rules for making representations yourself if it is being dealt with at a public meeting - Planning Committees normally allow that, certainly that has been case in areas where my work was undertaken.  Having attended more of these Committee meetings than I would care to recall, my advice would be to discuss the option of asking to address the Committee with the agent who submitted the application for you, particularly if the recommendation is not in your favour.  If there are no other objections other than from the Town Council it may be best to stay 'mum' at the meeting, but your agent should know how the Committee in your case takes to applicant's making comments in such situations when the application has officer support. 

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

Because brown paper envelope. I can almost promise you that's the difference, or at least a case of who owes who a favour down at the Masonic Bowling Lodge.

If anyone is seriously daft enough to think that goes on nowadays with things being so much more transparent in the planning decision making process, they are sadly very wrong.  Yes, you get some real clowns elected and some very ill-informed opinions expressed but that is the nature of democracy.

Can you get a meeting with your architect and Planning officer explaining your compromises really are compromising on your requirements as I feel even this latest application isn’t going to work for you In the long run ? As someone else said get evidence locally and talk it through rationally with them

interestingly ours didn’t go to a committee. But instead was approved by a senior Planning officer. 

35 minutes ago, Fodder said:

Can you get a meeting with your architect and Planning officer explaining your compromises really are compromising on your requirements as I feel even this latest application isn’t going to work for you In the long run ? As someone else said get evidence locally and talk it through rationally with them

interestingly ours didn’t go to a committee. But instead was approved by a senior Planning officer. 

Most are decided by planning officers when they are minded to approve, particularly if no objections have been raised; the proposal is consistent with the approved Planning Policy/supplementary guidance, or a Planning Committee member has not requisitioned the application to Committee for determination.

In this case it sounds as though the Town Council's 'decision' - more appropriately an 'opinion', has triggered the need for Planning Committee determination.