AI can tell if you're gay

davey_83

A person's sexual orientation doesn't phase me at all I don't think, however the real world implications could be huge.

This type of data analysis and crime hot spot data, does seem a step further towards minority report. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/07/new-artificial-intelligence-can-tell-whether-youre-gay-or-straight-from-a-photograph

Screenshot_20171106-111900.thumb.png.73c61f6fdee43303310f7237541923a2.png

Damned if you do damned if you don't it seems. Sure this could be used in an ill founded way, but also its just a case of the human race working things out. Instead of ill founded supposition around 'why is someone gay' why not actually try bring out some evidence.

For example the defence and intelligence agencies in the UK are always under huge pressure to prevent attacks, when they happen you get the same uproar that they should be doing more, but to do that you have to bring scale to the solution - the second that it involves them potentially looking at you there is uproar against personal privacy - the public are asking for a solution which cannot be done in the absence of magic and sorcery. 

When its illegal and punishable by death to be homosexual in a lot of places round the world you dont have to be a rocket scientist to see why this could be pretty bad. 

The fact that we live in a world with the tech to do this that still executes people for their orientation is pretty scary as well. 

48 minutes ago, docwra said:

When its illegal and punishable by death to be homosexual in a lot of places round the world you dont have to be a rocket scientist to see why this could be pretty bad. 

The fact that we live in a world with the tech to do this that still executes people for their orientation is pretty scary as well. 

Good point but it does raise the conflicting argument (which has no answer really).

Although we see the above as simply archaic and absurd (which I personally agree it is!) other countries would see it as quite normal and very accepted to persecute homosexuality. Boot on the other foot, if we had the tech to reasonably accurately predict if someone of middle eastern origin might commit Jihad against the UK would we use that tech? As it does identify potential criminals, in the same way other countries could use it to identify potential criminals of their laws no matter how bizarre they are they would argue this.

I'm not saying you are wrong Doc, hell you only had to watch the Rees-Mogg interview recently to realise how messed up religious beliefs are when they mix with politics. 

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Boot on the other foot, if we had the tech to reasonably accurately predict if someone of middle eastern origin might commit Jihad against the UK would we use that tech? As it does identify potential criminals, in the same way other countries could use it to identify potential criminals of their laws no matter how bizarre they are they would argue this.

I'm not saying you are wrong Doc, hell you only had to watch the Rees-Mogg interview recently to realise how messed up religious beliefs are when they mix with politics. 

Ahhh, but religion is a choice, not a genetic thing, and while you could potentially tell if someone was Kurdish or Iranian I dont think you could tell if they were Sunni, Shia or even Christian. 

As a tool of mass racial persecution it would definitely work though, which is more than a little scary - if it develops to the point of "we can be 99% that the subject is going to commit a serious crime" and we introduce preventative justice, even worse .........

4 hours ago, coldel said:

For example the defence and intelligence agencies in the UK are always under huge pressure to prevent attacks, when they happen you get the same uproar that they should be doing more, but to do that you have to bring scale to the solution - the second that it involves them potentially looking at you there is uproar against personal privacy - the public are asking for a solution which cannot be done in the absence of magic and sorcery. 

With good reason from our discussion before and not long after the recent attacks and perhaps justified as the government themselves are looking to further stopping these crimes with criminalising more actions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40176990

If you still have a 9% failure rate, i dont see it as holding water to be fair.

To be fair it is only in the early stages and will only get more accurate. The above is just child's play and no doubt crime prevention is on the cards as the main goal with the data analysis of crime and an individuals background, movements, travel patterns and social activities. 

For me the concept isn't that scary, however the fact that the system can be manipulated is. 

Ai is a dangerous thing. I personally think the idea that AI can tell if you're gay or not is just utter rubbish. On the other hand it does have its uses, such as in hospitals, now AI can see if you have a tumour more accurately and faster than a doctor can from a simple scan. But to put this into perspective, while we're talking about AI identifying if you're gay or not, the US navy use a type of jet powered drone called Pegasus that is completely AI controlled.

You ask any pilot, what's the most difficult landing to do and they'll tell you it's landing on an aircraft carrier. Short runway, limited time with people moving about and the possibility of strong winds. Pegasus can take off, fly 2000 miles into enemy territory -carrying 2000k of explosives- and come back, land on an aircraft carrier all on its own. It has cameras on the top side that take a live video and project it onto its bottom side which has an LED screen. This gives a live picture on the bottom of the sky above. This is the reason for many UFO sightings. It can also take a video of the land below of 40 mile squared and live feed it. If it were flying over London, it understands and knows not what i'm doing for example, but what everyone is doing and going, including cars, at the same time. it could monitor all our habits over a period of time at the same time. Plus it has the Kill decision built in which again is all decided by AI. 

The stock market, once thrived with men wearing stupid jackets, talking into 4 phones and the same time and making notes, those days were long gone before yesterday. The market is now controlled by AI. Once upon a time, we new the algorithm and could tell what the market was going to do. Now AI has taken it to a new level that works so fast, we can't even attempt to know what that algorithm is anymore. All the big movements are done by AI. You can't undo it and read it, it writes itself, you don't know how it got there or why. It'd be impossible to know.  

AI needs a lot of data, data needs AI to sort it out, since the level of data we have accumulated cannot be regulated by us, it's done by AI. Google, the most powerful company in the world has been a shopping queen recently, buying up all the AI companies. Google has its own AI project in the form of Atlas, an AI robot. But it's all being funded by DARPA a branch of the pentagon and also by Lockheed martin, the worlds largest weapons company. So, these AI robots are not flower children but quite the opposite. 

Tennis balls, a military term for an object which is dropped - by the thousands - have super sensors that do different jobs. Some sense the movement, chemical, radio activity or thermal information of possible threats moving in the area. That information is sent to a satellite and then sent to wherever it needs to go. Old technology, it's what behind that ,  Fusion AI software that takes the movement, the chemical, the biological, the radio activity and makes sense of it. It can tell you what, where and how things are moved.

Some people ask, when will AI supersede us? Some think it'll be 50 years, some think 20 years, some think 5 years. Apparently it's already happened. these are not visions of what's to come, this is here and now. So while we sit here talking about if AI can tell if someone is gay or not, they are far bigger issues that the news could be informing us about. 

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input and that's what's been published let alone what hasn't. In narrow field AI is better at than humans at most things work wise, however not on a board scale ie alphago couldn't tomorrow run a bus schedule or note the ingredients for a kids pack lunch without training.

Pfft. 

That's nothing.

I met a dude on Thursday who was able to tell my sexual orientation (but not my gender) by simply asking what team I support. I said none.

"F*****g faggot. Are you even a man?"

He was a brave wee dude. 

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Can also hear you almost every moment of the day.... The other day this actually happen to my mate from work. Walking round Morrisons at lunch and picked up a Bluetooth speaker and we briefly discussed where else to buy one with good rating. Got back to work 20mins later checked Facebook and POW Bluetooth speakers being advertised.