My buying shortlist

Vish8895

Hi all,

I have been eyeing up the used car markets for a number of weeks now, gearing up to buy my first Z.

I have set a budget of £6K, with the limit of 80K miles and FSH, body condition is not my main concern, as this car will be a bit of a project and not a show pony.

My main desire is brembo brakes and LSD. From what I understand, all 350z's with Brembo brakes have a LSD, is this correct? 

I have shortlisted down to the below cars, and wondered if anyone recognises, them or just has any general input that may be of help when viewing this weekend?

This is my favorite at the moment, I have never seen a red one on the road before, and they are few and far between in my search parameters:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711040948422?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

This is my second contender, seemingly good condition, with some nice mods but nothing too brash:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710260677055?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

Some useful comments on a forum thread about LSDs here 

Both cars listed look reasonable enough. What are your plans for the car? Keep it stock or modify? There are a fair few out there with work done - if you are looking for increase BHP/handling etc. its an expensive journey (plenum, exhaust, cats, uprev/ecutek is going to cost £2k and upwards for around +20bhp give or take) you would save money buying a car with the work done on it.

Thanks for that link. I have read that and another which is why I think what I said above, but still unsure lol :(.

I am planning to modify the car quite a bit. I have seen a few already done with the mods I want (plenum, intake, decats, Y-pipes, coil overs etc.) but in all honesty, I don't think its any funny buying one already done.

I want to start stock and have the fun of doing it over time,  although sadly watching my bank balance get rinsed mod after painfully expensive mod lol.

I would buy pre-modded if the price was right, but too many people list them as if they are worth more with the mods (i.e. £5K car with £2k mods asking for £7k... it really doesn't work like that). I think because they have invested time and effort into the car and it therefore holds a higher value to them.

Edited by Vish8895

I would disagree on your thoughts on modded price, most are well under priced vs the total cost of build. People spend thousands then list at maybe 10% over stock price. I have to say I had the same mentality as you of wanting to mod it myself but really the process of adding a plenum, exhaust, sports cats, remap etc. wasn't actually that much fun but was massively expensive. The fun bits for me were new wheels, painting parts, polishing stuff etc.

The absence of LSD on JDM cars is down to the spec. If you buy a brembo brake UK car they will have LSD. A quick google turned up comments about the base JDM spec doesn't, the rest do.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, coldel said:

I would disagree on your thoughts on modded price, most are well under priced vs the total cost of build. People spend thousands then list at maybe 10% over stock price. I have to say I had the same mentality as you of wanting to mod it myself but really the process of adding a plenum, exhaust, sports cats, remap etc. wasn't actually that much fun but was massively expensive. The fun bits for me were new wheels, painting parts, polishing stuff etc.

The absence of LSD on JDM cars is down to the spec. If you buy a brembo brake UK car they will have LSD. A quick google turned up comments about the base JDM spec doesn't, the rest do.

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe it has just been from my experience. Most of the cars I see modded are newer than the ones I am looking at, so maybe that's why they appear to carry a premium.

I also think your comments about the mods is half true in my case. I wouldn't be doing them expecting night and day differences, but I would like the fact that I did them, but yes massively expensive for little return.

I think I will re-visit the modified car listings and give them more attention.

The below from a forum member here does interest me:

Personally I'd pick the one that @RVSV2824 is selling all day long over them other 2. The fact that it's been owned by a forum member means it's probably been really well looked after/maintained plus like @coldel  has said, eventhough it's  slightly more expensive it's got loads of decent mods that will cost you way more if you buy a stock Z and do them yourself.

I guess some of it comes down to personal preference but I love the azure blue colour too and the fact it's a face-lift is a massive bonus. 

Good luck with the hunt either way :thumbs:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

Personally I'd pick the one that @RVSV2824 is selling all day long over them other 2. The fact that it's been owned by a forum member means it's probably been really well looked after/maintained plus like @coldel  has said, eventhough it's  slightly more expensive it's got loads of decent mods that will cost you way more if you buy a stock Z and do them yourself.

I guess some of it comes down to personal preference but I love the azure blue colour too and the fact it's a face-lift is a massive bonus. 

Good luck with the hunt either way :thumbs:

Appreciate that... And you're not wrong about the ownership maintenance. I'm seriously OCD with all of my cars and the Z is no exception.

Mitz at cougarstore can vouch :)

• Like 1

Thanks all for the responses.

I have had the payout from my insurance theft claim now, so will be looking to secure a car tomorrow evening!

Appreciate the advice, and I look forward to being a part of this forum more :).

Thanks for the assistance everyone.

In the end I decided to view @RVSV2824 's Z first, as the write up was very detailed, the modifications very tasteful and in-line with my mod list, and all communication was very good and helpful.

Raj is a really good bloke and very trustworthy, he didn't rush me, try to hide anything and was generally an all round top bloke. 

The car was really a head turner and such a pleasure to drive. I think he has given me a really, really good base to start with. I am currently itching at work to leave and take it for a spirited drive back home!

Coming from German cars (335i, E46 M3 and most recently a 135i) I can say this car is far far more exciting. The rawness of the power, the feedback through the chassis and steering, and the tail happiness makes this car a real enthusiast car. Granted a lot of this would have been vastly improved with the mods Raj has done to the suspension and the aspiration mods for the added drama.

• Like 1

You know what Vish... Im glad you bought it as I know it's gonna be in good hands! 

Once again, real pleasure dealing with you and I'm still laughing at how thorough you were... I got a taste of my own medicine for once with a buyer haha 

Youre right, very good base and potential for track work/drift but even as a daily, it hits the spot!

I am gonna miss some of that RWD go-kart rawness. 

Goodbye Zeez and all the best Vish :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, zippypooz said:

Nice thread this. Enjoyed the read.

Thanks.

And thanks to everyone who made me realize buying off an enthusiast/forum owner was a good idea.

The car has been flawless since owning, and never fails to put a smile on my face.... and a spike in my heart rate!

Much more thrilling to drive than my 135i, due to the rawness and the feedback, especially with the mods that have been done and the perfect exhaust setup!

• Like 1