Ebay returns advice

Randy_Baton

HI,

I sold a bricked laptop on ebay. It was sold as not working fro parts and a number of faults were listed. I stated as it didn't turn on I couldn't test anything.

Buyer has now complained that the wire that lights up the back lit keyboard has snapped and the wire to the left hand speaker has snapped and also a few case screws are missing. They want a refund, I'd like to refuse as they were a d!ck from start to finish of the process and have very minor complaints.

I've googled it a bit and it seems I'm better off to just accept the refund as ebay seller protection is none existent. It seems like I f I refuse the refund ebay will find n the buyers favor 99% of the time and i will auto refund out of my account and I may not even get the item back. Its sold for £110

Anyone have any advice

I'd fight it. Worse case eBay side with the buyer anyway, but you've nothing to lose by arguing your case. Make a factual statement and send it to eBay, it's not unknown that sellers do win these sometimes. It all comes down to how well the item was advertised really.

If the advert stated that the laptop was for spares / repair, hold your ground. The buyer probably didn't read the advert probably and just thought he was getting a bargain.

I've been very close to buying things from eBay on instinct without reading the ad properly but I've never actually purchased anything. Did the guy know he was buying a non-working laptop?

Yep - he originally offered me £40 for it.

I might just offer him £10 good will because to be honest I wasn't expecting more than ~£50 for it. That might just **** him off though

His main complaint is that its water damaged and this wasn't disclosed. I don't know why it stopped working but I doubt it was water damaged.

Im not so sure, what about this line in the advert? If you receive the goods and you put in an SSD or HDD and its not 'good' in theory you could make a claim? If he took that as saying that all he had to do to get it working fully again was the SSD or HDD. You have to be really careful with wording in sales ads - although it does say its defective at the top in the standard text it does also say refer to the advert for details. I would be a little cautious around this... 

"The express cache chip died ages ago, all this did was miminc an SSD for improved boot times. Its redundant technology anyway, Just stick an SSD in the HDD caddy and you're good"

• Like 1

Funny, that was the line that jumped out at me as well.

Ironically if you'd just put "laptop not working, no idea why, battery light comes on when charger is plugged in but no signs of life other than fans running intermittently, HDD has been removed as well" you might have been better off. I'd probably still argue anyway as you do clearly state that there's no sign of life and it won't turn on, but just be careful about what you write in ads in future. Remember that everyone looking is a scamming idiot, and you won't go far wrong.

• 2 months later...

Not been on in a while but thought I'd post the conclusion.

After the initial 30 day period Ebay found in the buyers favour. I rang up and stated my case and the call centre person said they'd look at it as they believed I had a good reason to dispute and they'd get back to me in the next few days. What I think happened is both myself and the buyer raised issues with the sale and as his was raised first they dealt with his claim rather than mine, so didn't see what I had written in my defence.

10 minutes after I put the phone down the case was closed in my favour and no appeal was raised by the buyer.

I pointed out it was sold as not working and I did't know why so claiming it didn't work for a specific reason didn't go against what I had originally  posted. I also said the buyer hadn't described which screws were missing, but all internal screws were visible in my photos and a box of 100's of external screws were available for a few £'s and I'd offed a £10 refund to cover this despite not thinking it mys responsibility to do so. I also pointed out that despite having a 100% buyer record, if you read through the comments on the buyers review page 15% of the comments were negative reviews and a few more had been removed by ebay.

• Like 2