NHS

TT350

11 minutes ago, gangzoom said:

^ Have they worked out why your K+ was low? ITU/ICU is great at correcting numbers but you need to know why it dropped in the first place, otherwise it'll likely happen again.

I'm being discharged. Praise be to the emperor! K+ at 4mmol steady.

It's still a mystery and my GP will be monitoring me. But I've been balls to the wall with work recently and not eating much, drinking Monsters and over working. I'm self employed. 

One thing stood out. My water intake. I drink LOTS of water daily and through the night. When we worked out, I had been drinking nearly 9 litres of water a day. Then coffee/Energy drinks.

I had been completely diluting my potassium and electrolytes. 

Will be under observation by GP.

Need to think of gifts to get for the wonderful nurses in the ICU and this ward. Poor overworked b*ggers. 

Will put some good thought into it and return next week.

Any idea what gifts nurses would particularly appreciate and find touching, GZ?

5 hours ago, gangzoom said:

But views like this makes me wonder why I bother. I apologies if been a non UK born citizen offends you so much, and the mental pain it must cause you to try to prounce my name, or the fact the colour of my skin must cause you so much offence.

But I thank you for reminding me just how unwelcome we are for many people in the UK, and certainly when my daughter is old enough for school, emigrating will be back on the cards.

Defensive much are we? :scare:

He didnt say that at all, he was quite obviously asking why there dont seem to be any indigenous medical professionals coming up through the ranks. Im actually a little offended that you were so quick to play the race card here TBH

Edited by docwra
  • Like 3

Not had to go to hospital recently but had to wait 3 days for an emergency appointment with my dentist, even when I live next door to them! :lol:

I think Ill definitely be looking at private medical in a few years time though, I dont think its going to be getting any better anytime soon :(

Edited by docwra

5 minutes ago, docwra said:

Defensive much are we? :scare:

He didnt say that at all, he was quite obviously asking why there dont seem to be any indigenous medical professionals coming up through the ranks. Im actually a little offended that you were so quick to play the race card here TBH

All the junior docs I've met this past near week have been indigenous. 

Regardless off where they come from, I just want to be treated by a well rested and even tempered and alert doctor. 

The culprits are the clowns who work in Whitehall and Westminster. 

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, TT350 said:

I'm being discharged. Praise be to the emperor! K+ at 4mmol steady.

It's still a mystery and my GP will be monitoring me. But I've been balls to the wall with work recently and not eating much, drinking Monsters and over working. I'm self employed. 

One thing stood out. My water intake. I drink LOTS of water daily and through the night. When we worked out, I had been drinking nearly 9 litres of water a day. Then coffee/Energy drinks.

I had been completely diluting my potassium and electrolytes. 

Will be under observation by GP.

Need to think of gifts to get for the wonderful nurses in the ICU and this ward. Poor overworked b*ggers. 

Will put some good thought into it and return next week.

Any idea what gifts nurses would particularly appreciate and find touching, GZ?

Gosh you must have been drinking some to drop K to 0.9!!! Hopefully its just that and nothing else :).

A thankyou card is always nice to see, and biscuits.

You never told me you'd been drinking 9 litres a day! :scare::lol: Bloody hell, that's insane. Especially with other drinks on top. 2-3L is normally plenty for an average person, isn't it?

And if the Carry On films are anything to go by, all nurses like a cheeky smack on the bum.

• Like 1

My last NHS experiences were the births of my daughters. I hear that things change from hospital to hospital, but i was blown away by Derby. Each birthing suite had 5-6 different places to position my wife including the water birth option, an en suite shower room, tea and coffee machines soft lighting and radio I could put cd's in...although I wasn't allowed Slipknot. The midwifes also brought us both toast after, the whole experience was fantastic. I know a nurse in Leicester on the baby ward and she has to do crazy shifts though. 

2 hours ago, Jay84 said:

My last NHS experiences were the births of my daughters. I hear that things change from hospital to hospital, but i was blown away by Derby. Each birthing suite had 5-6 different places to position my wife including the water birth option, an en suite shower room, tea and coffee machines soft lighting and radio I could put cd's in...although I wasn't allowed Slipknot. The midwifes also brought us both toast after, the whole experience was fantastic. I know a nurse in Leicester on the baby ward and she has to do crazy shifts though. 

We had the same experience with St Michaels hospital in Bristol when our daughter was born in March, couldn't have asked for more, all the staff were brilliant.

My sister is a Paramedic so I get to hear quite a few stories (good and bad) about the NHS

My wife is an assistant director of finance in a high profile hospital and every day she comes home to rant about how much money is being wasted within the nhs especially on temporary staff some several bands below her earning twice as much and doing bugger all luckily for me this is being addressed (one less rant to listen to :bang:)

She's worked in the NHS for 30 yrs starting out as a nurse and she loves working in the nhs and she works really hard to make it work, she spends 9-10 hrs at work then comes home and carry's on for an hour or two in the evenings so it's not just the clinical staff who work hard but sadly there's only so much money and the goverment hold the purse strings :doh:

:)

14 hours ago, Ekona said:

You never told me you'd been drinking 9 litres a day! :scare::lol: Bloody hell, that's insane. Especially with other drinks on top. 2-3L is normally plenty for an average person, isn't it?

And if the Carry On films are anything to go by, all nurses like a cheeky smack on the bum.

If you do some simple very very rough estimate, and assume no k shift from cells.

70kg man has roughly 3.2L of blood which is mainly water.

A low normal serum K is 3.5 mmol/l, so in 3.2L of blood total serum k is 10.5 mmols. Assume no actual inappropriate loss of K to get a seurm concentration of K to 0.9mmol/L will require a blood water content of 11.6L!!!! So over 3 times as much water in blood as normal.

You than factor in only 7.5% of water you drink end up in your blood, to get 11.6L of water in blood = total body water 154L!! (Normal is about 45L).

Clearly very crude numbers that is wrong and need to correct for intracellular K which is at a much higher level, but its safe to say @TT350 at one point was more wet than a very very wet lettuce!!!

Edited by gangzoom

14 hours ago, Ekona said:

PMSL! 

Come out healed buy with a nice shiny sexual harrasment record!

My lord, there are some pretty nurses here though. 

Lol I was introduced to most of them while lay there with my arse, c0ck and balls hanging out. Now THAT would get me a record in any other situation lol. 

I could just say "look! My mobility and grip strength is coming back! *squeeze*"

Water - I always thought the more the better. It's because I have a big 2L bier Steiner that I take to bed every night and I'll fill it twice in the night so it contributes hugely. Then all the water/coffee/red bull/food water content in the day

@gangzoom I've no idea what you're trying to say there. That I'm exaggerating or....? Sorry..just a bit dazed.

Also....70kg. I wish! I'm 6'2 and 101kg lol. They weighed me in the bed.

They took the drips out of my paws. Jesus did I squirt. Blood that is. They panicked!

IMG-20171103-WA0020.jpeg

Edited by TT350

^ Just saying how much water must have been in you!! :scare:.....dont worry about the numbers, its what I do for a job, most doctors haven't got a clue what am on about most of the time too :D.

Make sure someone keeps an eye on your K when you get out, and if your K drops again make sure someone looks into why.

Edited by gangzoom

51 minutes ago, gangzoom said:

^ Just saying how much water must have been in you!! :scare:.....dont worry about the numbers, its what I do for a job, most doctors haven't got a clue what am on about most of the time too :D.

Make sure someone keeps an eye on your K when you get out, and if your K drops again make sure someone looks into why.

Yes indeed. GP will/has been notified and I'll have bloods every week. 

Edited by TT350