G.R.A.M.S Rear window Louvers [FINALLY]

Beefy

Hey all,

I know a lot of people are interested in the Zakustech rear window louvers, Turns out, G.R.A.M.S styling has started manufacturing their own for £200 + (Depending on Carbon Fibre, spoiler, etc.)

I bought them straight away as I have the G.R.A.M.S Skirts already and their quality is pretty good.

http://www.gramsstyling.co.uk/shop-2/nissan-350z-rear-window-louvers-2/

Will report on fitting  (Probably do a quick guide or something) and finish.

They look like they're connected with tape. I would suggest 3M VHB tape for fixings personally. Looks like it will need a rear wiper delete as well.

Will report as soon as they arrive.

- Beefy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PPod said:

This looks promising. What option did you go for black,white or carbon fibre ?

Went for the black, Will let you know how the finish is. If it's the same finish as the skirts, they'll be no need to repaint them.

7 hours ago, mr v6 said:

Like the look of louvers but the fact they can only be fitted one way using adhesive, it coming off at motorway speeds worries me.

I did R&D for Nissan Europe for a while in their aftersales and accessories department.

Pretty much all of the exterior trim pieces is held on with tape. In all the tests I've never know one to fail during testing, and we've had vehicles up to 120mph+ without full adhesion.

As long as you prep the area correctly, so their is no dirt, decent contact patch, it'll be fine.

If you're mega worried, use 3M VHB tape, the stuff is genuinely more robust than most mechanical fixings.

While I still go for bolts as well with larger pieces if your using adhesive that has maximum contact with the two pieces your effectively spreading any load across a much wider surface. Imagine a spoiler, 6 bolts, so the load on the spoiler is being spread over 6 points, if your exerting 6kg of force then each bolt is supporting 1 kg (assuming an even load which obviously never happens)  that's 1kg on the mount points, (maybe 2cm square) with adhesive your looking to spread that 6kg over say 1 square meter, your exerting much less force on a single point. Most adhesive works from suction as well, once gripped and solid it's very hard to remove! It's perhaps not obvious when thinking about because you think the bolts are stronger, that's true but it's not the bolts that are the weak point it's your mounting points!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I've finally been able to get back for some modding goodness.

Car is currently away having the PU Nismo V2 bumer painted.

Anyway, finally the louvers have arrived:

nuuyrg1.jpg

I must admit, they're not up to the same standards as the other G.R.A.M.S Items I've recieved. and required a bit of sanding.

The paintwork and cutting from the mould aren't amazing. Although from a distance, you wont notice. I'm a bit of a stickler for the details, so I've spent some time sanding bits down where the paint has been peeling, and where the molding was a bit @*!#.
ka30FvT.jpg

KrHSMeS.jpg

233JcMB.jpg

They're surprisingly thin for fibreglass parts, but do have some ribs built in, I assume as this part does have to bend, it supports the structure a bit more...

The underside did need sanding ithout a doubt. the quality control at G.R.A.M.S this time hasn't been great. Unlke the skirts I got from them which were fantastic...

Going to do some painting tomorrow, a few times with primer, then a clear coat.

Will try to fit them in the evening if I feel they're okay.

I'm more interested in the fitment of these parts than the finish, as all fibreglass parts are a bit naff IMHO.

I did expect better quality however.

I got to say that actually looks terrible :headhurt:.....it is very disappointing paying money for a crap product...that is why I had my doubts about them....

If I were you I will send it back ,ask for the refund and get a Zakustech one

Thats a shame, i have the GRAMS sideskirts aswell and as you say they're really good quality.

maybe this was just a bad mould seeming its a new item, still tempted by these myself so will be interesting to see what the fitment is like aswell if they are as good as the skirts.

I'm going to fit them anyway, will see what i think when they're all on. If they look alright for a distance, I will keep them and probably use filler and paint them again in the summer.

I'm tempted to say they might break when fitted as it's colder than normal at the moment, but we'll see.

Painting has commenced today. 3 coats of primer, 2 coats of colour (Black) and will proceed with 2 clear coats for good measure. Looking for Satin/Matt black ideally.

The paint has split in a few places and looks patchy already. It seems that it's just a really bad mold that they're using, They need to refine the process. Will update with more pic as and when they're fitted.

Overall at the moment 4/10.

• 2 months later...
On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 22:21, Beefy said:

Okay, so I've finally been able to get back for some modding goodness.

Car is currently away having the PU Nismo V2 bumer painted.

Anyway, finally the louvers have arrived:

nuuyrg1.jpg

I must admit, they're not up to the same standards as the other G.R.A.M.S Items I've recieved. and required a bit of sanding.

The paintwork and cutting from the mould aren't amazing. Although from a distance, you wont notice. I'm a bit of a stickler for the details, so I've spent some time sanding bits down where the paint has been peeling, and where the molding was a bit @*!#.
ka30FvT.jpg

KrHSMeS.jpg

233JcMB.jpg

They're surprisingly thin for fibreglass parts, but do have some ribs built in, I assume as this part does have to bend, it supports the structure a bit more...

The underside did need sanding ithout a doubt. the quality control at G.R.A.M.S this time hasn't been great. Unlke the skirts I got from them which were fantastic...

Going to do some painting tomorrow, a few times with primer, then a clear coat.

Will try to fit them in the evening if I feel they're okay.

I'm more interested in the fitment of these parts than the finish, as all fibreglass parts are a bit naff IMHO.

I did expect better quality however.

OMG  what a finish to send out. Hope you can get it to your satisfaction  :)

On 27/01/2018 at 22:24, veilside z said:

OMG  what a finish to send out. Hope you can get it to your satisfaction  :)

Yeah, pretty shocking.

They're sending another set out soon however.

If these ones are also poor quality, I'll send them back and get a full refund.

On another note, rumours that Tarmac Sports will be doing rear louvers soon, as well as the fact you can now buy them from Zakustech as well should mean there is a nice selection to choose from soon.

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2018 at 08:18, Jake.Lowther said:

Any news on this interested in buying them, might risk it for a chocolate biscuit 

steer clear of them there is alot of people sending them back after they bought the grams ones for **** poor quality, either wait until someone here in the UK can make a decent metal set or buy from the US 

22 hours ago, Apoc124 said:

steer clear of them there is alot of people sending them back after they bought the grams ones for **** poor quality, either wait until someone here in the UK can make a decent metal set or buy from the US 

How bad is bad, i know a lot of FRP parts need work doing to them your crushing my dreams Zacks waiting list takes ages

G.R.A.M.S. are getting worse as time goes on. When they started out, the general work was quite good (just needing finishing off as a general rule) but now I find that they are just getting stuff out so fast that they don't seem to be bothered. The quality of this louvre, in my opinion is disgraceful and at best should only have sold as a 'second'. Sadly, the more we accept this quality from companies, the more they are happy to produce it. 

Well done for demanding a new one and you're absolutely spot on with not accepting anything like this.