Write Off

Topcat

Very sad news, had a bit of a crash last night.

Took a corner on an unfamiliar road a little too briskly, caught some mud and spun off, hitting a thick hedge on the way, ending up in a field.

Front passenger wheel tucked under the car and passenger side badly crumpled with both air bags going off, possible chassis damage so expecting a write off.

Walked away with no issues, just a bruised ego and a humbling experience. Fortunately and no-one else around thank god!

I'm expecting a call form the insurance tomorrow with a settlement offer.

Never been in this situation before, i'm expecting a low offer but not sure what is acceptable.

I was hoping for £16k atleast, like i say never had to deal with this before.

bought for £17k in January this year.

13 plate GT edition 54k miles

£4k of mods listed.

Looking on Autotrader they seem to be roughly the same price as i bought if not a little more on average.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea if i could bargain with them for more as the price of the mods listed?

Or will this make no difference? thanks for any tips.

Sorry to hear that fella, glad you’re okay though.

Unless agreed for value your mods count for nothing, so you can ignore those. I’d be gathering evidence now and then knocking 10% off the advertised price, and that’s probably around where you’ll be ending up. Got any examples of the ads to link to here?

On 05/11/2017 at 17:05, nissanjuke said:

good luck and let us know how you get on.:thumbs:

Got an offer today. £16,800

Not too bad. Argued for the mods that if i sold it I could've taken them off to sell separately and got the price bumped up to £17,600 which I accepted. Pretty fair was expecting a much lower offer, after hearing stories.

Still gutted, time for a cheap run around for a bit ☹️

3 hours ago, Toon Chris said:

Unfortunately the pain comes with the extra few thousand in lost no-claims over the next few years. :dry:

You might be okay. Seems to be pot luck as to whether it affects your insurance or not. My wife had a smash back in 2011 and lost 2 years of NCB as a result. The renewal premium was so high that she had to sell the hot hatch and buy a diesel.

She had another claim earlier this year, and when the renewal came through it didn't affect it at all this year - in fact it was less. Both claims were for a similar amount and both were entirely her fault.

However, due to her claim this year,  my car insurance has gone up by 50% if I keep her as a named driver on my car.

Go figure.

Edited by rabbitstew

Received the funds today, all pretty smooth.

I'm borrowing my gran's Kia picanto till i decide what's next. :(

I've left my policy open with them as i paid upfront until next may. I had 13 years No claims. I added the No claims Protection so hopefully it won't be too bad. It was only £550  for the Z so i'm sure whatever i get next won't push it past that much, or maybe even cheaper?

Pretty pleased with the speediness  and hassle free dealings with Aviva.

Also easy to add mods online with them.