bye bye sti

neo

Good. Should’ve killed it off years ago, or stuck with the hatchback idea (which now looks to have been ahead of its time with the Golf R and M140!).

I’ve driven the current one earlier this year, and although it’s better in every measurable way than our one it’s still not good enough. It’s not as quick, it’s not as fun, and the interior isn’t as good as the competition. Crappy fuel economy was only ever going to help it go one way in the end.

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 1

My son just got rid of his pile of crap 2.5, 2009 sti Hatch.  had it 1 year and engine blew up turbo gave up twice 40k miles and brand new engine installed by Subaru was heading the same way at 7k miles so he got rid ,

not unusual with these cars, wouldn't advise anyone to get one!

It was the wrx sti 330s he had not modded at all, ringlands failed on the first engine and were showing the very same symptoms on the new engine already,  The car was serviced regularly using the proper oils and fluids. Have a read on the net about them its quite scary how many of them have blown after very few miles.

Subaru advice was basically dont take it over 4k revs very much! Well for a rally bred car that is some statement.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/legal-motoring-advice/2010-10/subaru-issues-statement-on-impreza-and-forester-25-litre-engines/

Edited by Bigjimg
link

That's actually a precent decent statement, fair play to Subaru for issuing it.

So did he put another 08/09 engine in it?

Subaru replaced the engine under warranty, I can only assume it was like for like, turbo was replaced at the same time for the second time.

It ran ok for about 4k miles and was run in very gently, then started to develop the same symptoms as the original engine, getting more difficult to start ,smoking and drinking fuel and oil way beyond what it should. Think my son was well pleased to get shot of it in the end.

Edited by Bigjimg

Totally agree with what you are saying there Ekona, but he stuck rigorously to what Subaru told him for the first 4k miles despite having to drive around like Miss daisy.

Modern engines should be driven as you normally would from the get go surely.