Nissan Leaf

formatzero

A friend of mine used to run an R35 on weekends and a Leaf to commute during the week.

He could drive from Warrington to Manchester and back.

BUT

During the winter he'd drive without the heaters on in case he'd run out of juice to get home!

Hat and scarf worked for him.

• Like 1

I ran 24kWh (2015) Nissan Leaf for 2 years and 14K. Interms of pure running costs its cheapest new car I’ll ever own. It cost me £200/month on PCP with no deposit, serviced it once for £70, total fuel cost over 14K was just £185 as I have cheap E7 electricity which costs 6p per kWH.

26477924151_3ec989d570_c.jpg

I was slightly sad to see it go, but the replacement car was just a bit better :).

Real life range in winter was 65-70 miles, 80-90 miles in summer, but that exclude M ways, at a true 70mph your looking at 50 miles in winter and 65-70 miles in summer. The reduced range in winter is more to do with less efficient battery discharge than heater use. 

But since 2015 Nissan have updated the battery size, it’s up to 30kWh and I understand real life range even in winter is now 100 miles.

The 30kWh is now also obsolete, and Nissan about to start delivery on the 40kWh new Leaf, which should be good for 140 miles even in winter at 70mph on M-way. A 60kWh version is coming late 2018 will push the range to nearly 200 miles, if Nissan keep the pricing sensible it’ll sell very well. As a cheap family car the only complaint I had about my old Leaf was range in winter, which the newer cars will have much less issue with. 

Nissan-Leaf-Nismo-2018-870804.jpg

If you looking to buy soon I would wait to see how new Leaf price pan out over the next few months. The price of older 24kWh cars (2014-2016) have actually gone up in the last 18 months, and 30kWh Leaf are holding their prices really firmly. 
Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

I like Nissan's 2017 face. I saw a black micra with it and it looks stunning. The leaf above looks nice too. I like it when evs and hybrids look like normal cars, I was never a fan of the prius, insight, or early leaf, but the auris, crz and that leaf above are nice.  

• 4 weeks later...

Looking around and were thinking of moving in from our 06' Note to a 2013/14 Leaf, quite shocked to see the insurance is about £350 more a year oddly. 

Drive one for the first time today and the Mrs really likes it but won't be saving quite as much per years as we first thought. Currently for petrol and road tax the Note costs ish £150 a month. Figure if finance for a Note is similar, it's a no brainer???

3 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Drive one for the first time today and the Mrs really likes it but won't be saving quite as much per years as we first thought. Currently for petrol and road tax the Note costs ish £150 a month. Figure if finance for a Note is similar, it's a no brainer???

I have no idea about Note finance deals, but used Leaf prices are holding pretty firm at the moment and there aren't any good new deals going. If you can wait for end of Q1 2018, end of the financial year is when Nissan push the deals, so around March 2018. 

• Like 1

On 28/10/2017 at 09:22, gangzoom said:

I ran 24kWh (2015) Nissan Leaf for 2 years and 14K. Interms of pure running costs its cheapest new car I’ll ever own. It cost me £200/month on PCP with no deposit, serviced it once for £70, total fuel cost over 14K was just £185 as I have cheap E7 electricity which costs 6p per kWH.

26477924151_3ec989d570_c.jpg

I was slightly sad to see it go, but the replacement car was just a bit better :).

Real life range in winter was 65-70 miles, 80-90 miles in summer, but that exclude M ways, at a true 70mph your looking at 50 miles in winter and 65-70 miles in summer. The reduced range in winter is more to do with less efficient battery discharge than heater use. 

But since 2015 Nissan have updated the battery size, it’s up to 30kWh and I understand real life range even in winter is now 100 miles.

The 30kWh is now also obsolete, and Nissan about to start delivery on the 40kWh new Leaf, which should be good for 140 miles even in winter at 70mph on M-way. A 60kWh version is coming late 2018 will push the range to nearly 200 miles, if Nissan keep the pricing sensible it’ll sell very well. As a cheap family car the only complaint I had about my old Leaf was range in winter, which the newer cars will have much less issue with. 

Nissan-Leaf-Nismo-2018-870804.jpg

If you looking to buy soon I would wait to see how new Leaf price pan out over the next few months. The price of older 24kWh cars (2014-2016) have actually gone up in the last 18 months, and 30kWh Leaf are holding their prices really firmly. 

£1.32 for every 100 miles? that is incredibly cheap :surrender:

I am also thinking to get my wife one but not sure the range helps...plus I pay more for my electricity 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, valy said:

£1.32 for every 100 miles? that is incredibly cheap :surrender:

I am also thinking to get my wife one but not sure the range helps...plus I pay more for my electricity 

Running costs of the Leaf was/is pocket change!! Even if you dont use E7 electricity your looking at 4-4.5p per mile in fuel. Thats equivalent of a car doing 125mpg in real life assuming fule costs £1.2/L.

There is also no real servicing, brakes lasts ages due to motor regen doing most of the work, no oil/coolant to change, no spark plugs/exhausts to worry about either. Roadtax £0.

The battery and motor are sealed units, Leaf battery degredation is worse than Tesla/BMW due to lack of active temperature control but even so after 100k degradation shouldn't be more than 15-20%.

Range is the main weakness of the 24kWh cars. I would comfortably cover 80 miles in the summer but come winter 65 miles was my 'safe' limit - you really dont want to run out of charge on a cold windy Jan night and be stuck on the side of the road. Lowest charge status I got down to was 6 miles left. This means a trip out to somewhere 30 miles away was my comfortable max range in winter. Add on some degradation and your looking at 55-60 miles range in winter.

Still if your doing fixed commute and usage per day fits the range limits in winter itll likely be the cheapest car you ever buy. Used prices are currently static and not really falling, as I think people are realising how cheap to own these things are.

For insurance you need to ring around, not many companies do good EV rates, AxA, directline, LV are worth a go.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 2

One other to add is avoid pre 2013 produced cars, as Nissan introduced a load of changes in 2013 including changes to battery chemistry and introduction of a more efficient heating system for the cars. Also avoid the base spec Visa cars, as these sometimes didnt even have a port for rapid charging.

Also be careful of any cheap looking 2013+ cars. Nissan introduced a battery rental plan in 2013 to help reduce the cost of the car,but it means you have to keep on paying £70/month to Nissan to 'rent' the battery. If you don't pay they can in theory disable the battery remotely - though clearly there must be ways to stop that but as far as I know no one has tried it :). So your looking at buying used you need to make sure the price been quoted includes full ownership of the battery. 

• Like 1

yes that's what I found, on confused our Note would be £420 a year. Change the reg to e 14 plate leaf and amend the value of the car and it went to over £700 which I felt was a shame.

Without relying on a honest seller, how can you tell at a glance if the car is battery owned?

Easiest way is to call RCI (Nissan finance) and tell them the reg/vin. The V5 should also say 'Flex' if it's a battery rental car.

The other car to look at is the Zoe, should be similar/cheaper than the Leaf, but its a smaller car. Also sold with same battery rental scheme - RCI again is the people to call to check.  

If you need a number to call give me a PM, I think I got their direct line saved somewhere in my emails. 

Edited by gangzoom

First 40kWh Leaf deals/pricing is out. List is £26k and currently very little discounts. PCP deals are in the £350/400/month without including initial deposit.

So second hand prices of 24/30 will stay firm for a while. 

Apprently Kia are doing good deals on the Soul EV, at £200/months. Similar range to the Leaf and suppose to be well made.

• Like 1