Review: Ferodo DS1.11 pads

ZonixX

I thought it would be nice to share my experience with Ferodo DS1.11 pads in a structured way, so that this info does not disappear in my build thread. I had 2 sets of these pads and driven around 20k miles with them, including track driving. Not so common pad - with I guess - perfect braking performance.

Car:
350Z RevUp 2006, OEM Brembo calipers, stock suspension, tyres: Potenza RE050 + Michelin Pilot SuperSport 225+245/45  R18, brake fluid Motul RBF600, HEL brake lines

What I expect from my brakes:

Priority #1 = brake performance only, to withstand prolonged full braking cycles on trackdays and good characteristics on street

Priority #2 = pads with as constant coeficient of friction as possible - I personally don't like pads, which characteristics rapidly changes through operational temperature range

No priority = I don't care about dust and noise, price, will appreciate a pad that does not eat through discs extremely quickly

After considering several other alternatives, I decided to go for a full set of DS1.11 pads, as these are the only ones which on paper fulfill my expectations above. These are mated with OEM, high-carbon plain Brembo discs.

Theoretical characteristics:

The DS1.11 have the highest coeficient of friction out of the Ferodo range, designated as endurance racing pads only.

http://www.ferodoracing.com/products/car-racing/racing-brake-pads/ds1-11/

Bedding in:

These NEED to be warmed up between 500°C and 700°C, 15 cycles 50% up to 100% brake pressure. How I measured mine :D

DSC_1560_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker_z

Cold + street braking performance:

Big surprise. Even in cold weather close to 0°C, the initial bite is better than OEM pads. Excellent initial bite, NO spongy feeling and sub-standard performance, that I have experienced previously from YellowStuff pads when cold, for example.

Track performance:

I was never able to overheat these pads, they were able to constantly deliver a maximum of 1.5g (!) deceleration on a stock car from speeds up-to 120mph. I never had any signs of pad/brake fade. But due to their high coeficient of friction, a really good tyre is needed. On my first track day with DS1.11, I still had Potenza RE050's - these were incapable of providing sufficient grip during high-speed braking, which was very frustrating. Once I switched to Michelin Pilot SuperSports, the braking drasticly improved. The tyres were no more the biggest limit to utilize the maximum of the pad (under current setup, considering my driving skills).

If you use these as an all-round pad, they will have to be bedded-in again prior to full trackday abuse as light braking/street driving scrapes off some of the bedded-in material from discs. If you don't "rebed-in", the brake pedal is mushy and the absolute performance is, let's say, 1/3 lower under full, high-speed braking. BUT - once bedded in before track driving, they perform 100% again.

Durability:

Front pads life expectancy with my driving was at a maximum of 8-9k miles (incl. a couple hours of track driving), rear ones will last around 2x more. I experienced no pad disintegration, no matter the abuse they got - what is very interesting, even with a significant wear, with let's say 3mm material left, they still did not overheat. The OEM brake discs will last approx. 15k miles maximum with 1.11's.

Noise and dust:

Cold, and not bedded-in 1.11s are EXTREMELY noisy, especially during light braking within city speed limits. Pedestrains and fellow motorists will NOT be happy about the insane scraping, that these pads produce :D ...this is their biggest negative, that can be partially solved by braking later and more aggresively. They do produce a lot of brake dust.

...bonus photo, this is the abuse they received from me :D ...TLDR, I love DS1.11's :)

DSC_1559_resized_by_AVG_Image_Shrinker_z

Edited by ZonixX
  • Like 5

• 10 months later...