Ok BMW, thats enough.... please....

AMT

On 25 October 2017 at 21:30, AMT said:

I get if you want to protect your kids, be safe etc but you must also surely be looking at the styling of the damn thing...and who in the hell is gonna look at the X2 and go ...yeah..mmmm 

I was chatting to a sales rep the other day, I think he was trying to build a rapport with me. 

His first question to me after I told him I had a 18 months old was ' So what hobbies do you do in your spare time' :lol:

I doubt anyone would choose to drive a S-Max over a Focus, and in my case the main reason for going for the X over the S was because of the little madam. 

10 hours ago, SuperStu said:

It’s hard to imagine how I survived a youth being ferried around in an XR2, a Micra, a Sierra and a Citroen BX - without exploding into a ball of flames.

My dad took me to nursery every day in one of the largest cities in the world on a pedal bike and I was fine. 

But I make apologies for wanting to transport my daughter in an oversized near 3 ton mini truck when idiots like this are allowed to operate cars......

35229572236_5de3cbbe56_c.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

The X2 isnt that bad, I find since Bangle all BMW designs are initially :scare: but then grow on you, the M cars are proper eyecatchers and where I used to think the X6 and 1 series hatch were hideous I actully quite like them now.
Not my bag as I cant see why you would ever take one over a 2 series (are there any benefits?) but each to their own, at least they are a bit different.

Its funny but I keep having a cheeky nose at BMWs but the idea of jumping in one and becoming part of the anonymous horde really puts me off. I get the M cars are amazing bits of kit though and appreciate cars like the 135i are fantastic, but I do like to drive something different and rarely drive the car to the limits, so do I need anything faster. Had a moment at the weekend when driving around Richmond in a two lane approach to a roundabout in slow moving traffic pulled alongside a deep purple Supra - engines were blipped, windows came down, compliments passed and we carried on our way :thumbs: 

• Like 1

We were given the choice of a 1 series or an astra for a company car, I went with the astra. 1.6 D insignia engine in a car that's a lot lighter and is fully specd I really like it. They're kinda more common than it was march 2016, but I like it. I'm not a fan of the whole crossover thing, despite having a crashqai. The rubbish thing is, the tyres have huge rolling resistance compared to there hatch and saloon counterparts so economy can be poor by comparison. 

Its funny but I keep having a cheeky nose at BMWs but the idea of jumping in one and becoming part of the anonymous horde really puts me off. I get the M cars are amazing bits of kit though and appreciate cars like the 135i are fantastic, but I do like to drive something different and rarely drive the car to the limits, so do I need anything faster. Had a moment at the weekend when driving around Richmond in a two lane approach to a roundabout in slow moving traffic pulled alongside a deep purple Supra - engines were blipped, windows came down, compliments passed and we carried on our way :thumbs: 

Sometimes... worse is better! You drive about in amongst traffic with all the TT's, siroccos, 425's etc... then you get the stares and positive reactions when the Z's all cleaned up, different is better... IMO anyway.  For this reason I will never own a 3 series,4 series etc etc.. Better for lots of things (dear god fuel for one)... but boring and bland to look at. I like driving experience but it can always come a close 2nd to the styling for me (I'm the kind of person that would love a TVR... if I had the bank balance of a company director and a fondness for rusting chassis) :lol:

Edited by AMT

I buy the car I like, who cares what others think? I’ve never understood why people spend thousands of pounds based on the opinion of others, mind boggling. 

Its like you finding the dream house in California and everyone else saying how amazing it is, so you go and move to a council house in Clacton. 

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 1

Its not about what others think, its about what I think, and I think BMWs look bland boring and if I got out of one and walked away I would never look back. I get out of my Celica, I stop, look back, wowed by how different and out there the car is and happy as anything. Guess it comes down to whats important to you in a car, I know you like to get obsessive about minute characteristics of driving a car and hell you could be in a pink cadillac if it handled well enough, for me handling etc is important but also is it to own a car that when I look at it it wows me, every hour I spend polishing every mm of it is because it looks something special - sorry but a 3 series saloon aint gonna do it for me guv!

I just have a thing for ugly cars :lol: I guess the 911 was the only good looking car I’ve ever really owned, all the others have been ugly ducklings. 

I totally get your POV Col, but there are people out there (and on here) who will buy an inferior car just because it’s different. Not because they genuinely prefer it, but strictly because it’s not what everyone else has. To me, that’s insane. 

8 minutes ago, Ekona said:

I just have a thing for ugly cars :lol: I guess the 911 was the only good looking car I’ve ever really owned, all the others have been ugly ducklings. 

I totally get your POV Col, but there are people out there (and on here) who will buy an inferior car just because it’s different. Not because they genuinely prefer it, but strictly because it’s not what everyone else has. To me, that’s insane. 

So why buy a 6 series BMW and put it on track ;)

Not sure if you remember the thread, but a 335i estate was on the short list at the time. Ultimately it didn’t have a V8 so wasn’t going to happen, but if I’d wanted something to lug loads around in I’d have been very tempted. Not sure a 335 in general is a more sane choice than a 645 though, both have expensive running costs, both similar inside, 335 more practical but I don’t need 4 seats. I definitely wouldn’t write one off for future ownership though :) 

I buy the car I like, who cares what others think? I’ve never understood why people spend thousands of pounds based on the opinion of others, mind boggling. 

Its like you finding the dream house in California and everyone else saying how amazing it is, so you go and move to a council house in Clacton

Remember though, there's a difference between wanting people to appreciate you in the car and ....to just appreciate the car.  I don't care that people know whos driving but if its a nice car its good to see that recognized, whether its small acknowledgement from someone older or the frantic pointing and smiling of a kid (cos we were all that kid at some point)... its good to share that experience with others who are also interested in cars or even people who aren't and are just amazed at the look of whatever is going past as its different 

Edited by AMT

On 31/10/2017 at 18:03, AMT said:

if its a nice car its good to see that recognized, whether its small acknowledgement from someone older or the frantic pointing and smiling of a kid (cos we were all that kid at some point)... 

I used my E82 as a prom car earlier this year, the lad specifically asked for mine over a fistful of other nice cars and Ive had a good few people tell me its a better looking car than my 350 was.
Similarly a 3 series coupe, a TT in the right colour or a Scirocco are just as attractive as a Z33 IMO, particularly if the Zed is still running standard height and wheels but they have all been slated in this thread. And at least two people have said positive things about a Cube ........ :lol:

Could it be that Zed owners are a little myopic when it comes to "normal" cars and the way they look?

• Like 1

Probably, but then most single-make forums are. This place isn't as bad as some though!

Personally I think the E92 in non-M guise is one of the best looking coupes of recent years. I'll counter that statement with the fact that, after having seen a few around now in different colours, the current 991 Turbo/S is an absolute dogs dinner of a car.

I dunno, most of the forums Im on appreciate a good looking car whether its 2 or 4 seats, it does seem that "its too common" or "its not different looking enough" seems to be levelled at pretty much everything mainstream on here. 

Agree on the 991T though, doesnt look right at all, particularly when the GT's are so gorgeous. 

I really don't understand why they've made the whole thing so fussy, it just needed to be kept relatively simple and it would've been fine.

Bloody Porsche listening to when people tell them all their cars look the same so they try and make them different and f*ck it up, grrr :angry::lol:

On 02/11/2017 at 14:20, docwra said:

I used my E82 as a prom car earlier this year, the lad specifically asked for mine over a fistful of other nice cars and Ive had a good few people tell me its a better looking car than my 350 was.
Similarly a 3 series coupe, a TT in the right colour or a Scirocco are just as attractive as a Z33 IMO, particularly if the Zed is still running standard height and wheels but they have all been slated in this thread. And at least two people have said positive things about a Cube ........ :lol:

Could it be that Zed owners are a little myopic when it comes to "normal" cars and the way they look?

Let's all just settle down for a minute - the Cube is an utter masterpiece.

On the main topic - has anyone seen the Audi Q2? Dear god.. what even is that.

Edited by Cimanu
  • Like 1