Aftermarket Clutch Experiences Please?

N4eay

Hi Guys,

I’m after some insight on improvements to clutch feel and engagement once replaced with an aftermarket unit. I have an HR and as we know the clutch feel and engagement on all 350’s isn’t the best and I believe the concentric slave on the HR is particularly crap. 

I’m looking to replace the clutch setup with the Xtreme Clutch Single Organic Kit inc SMF and CSC, I'm hoping that may provide a nice smooth consistent engagement with the bite point being low to the floor not right at the top like OEM.

Does anyone have any experience with these aftermarket clutches and in particular on an HR?

Cheers

Edited by N4eay

I have the JWT clutch & lightened fly wheel and I find the clutch feels OEM. Lightened fly wheel takes a little getting used to but makes a big difference. My car is a DE but if they do a JWT for HR I'd imagine it will be similar.

The bite point can be adjusted on any clutch, there is a guide on the forum. Fiddly to do but easy.

I have an HR with the Xtreme kit and braided/insulated clutch hose, in my opinion I think it gets a bit overhyped by people on the forum. 

I bought because pretty much all of the traders told me it would best suit my needs.

Its good if your out on nice open country roads giving the car a blast. City driving really isn't the best which is what I personally do most of, chatters at 1.5k, again it claims minimal chatter but it gets irritating, clutch sometimes feels like its either on/off no inbetween smooth biting point and you have to give it quite a few revs to get going ! 

Overall it's nice to have peace of mind you have a solid, quality piece of kit that can take a hammering but the downside in my opinion is driveability. Revs up and down quicker due to the lightened flywheel which again is nice on a blast but not great in the city.

I guess it comes down to what you are using the car for !

Thats my honest opinion. 

Thanks Dave, really useful! Sounds pretty much totally the opposite of what I want / need. Use the car 90% for commuting / motorway traffic. Rarely get the time for a weekend blast. I'm hoping the clutch pedal assembly device I posed above may do the trick, the RHD version is under testing at the moment. Loads of good feedback on their site, youtube and Facebook.

Edited by N4eay

12 hours ago, N4eay said:

Thanks Scobie. I came across this today http://www.rjmperformance.com/350z--g35-afp-clutch-pedal-kits.html

Looks like it would do the trick as the issues seems to be pedal related as opposed to clutch and clutch components. 

Try adjusting your bite point using the guide on the forum before splashing out on this, Costs nothing to do.

Xtreme is popular but you have to accept flywheel chatter will be present

Avoid Competition Clutch, we have had a few issues on the HR, DE have been fine though

If you are after something close to stock without forking out close to 2k from Nissan then we have this option from Zspeed, we can supply with a new OEM slave for £100 and a lighter weight flywheel if preferred

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/clutch-and-drivetrain/zsp-nissan-350z-hr-and-nissan-370z-oem-stock-replacement-clutch-and-flywheel-kit.html