Plenum Spacer Clearance Problems

Silky

Hi all,

I just brought and fitted this 5/16 Plenum Spacer from a member on here, the spacer is great fits very well and has all the hardware but I am having a few problems with the bonnet closing.

I have an NRG strut fitted which seems to be thinner than the OEM one, the bonnet is touching the strut which is very annoying not just because it is taking the finish of the strut and bonnet I can also feel/hear the extra vibrations in the cab.  I have uploaded some photos to show. 

The last photo is just showing that I have placed some washes in the bonnet hinge to release some of the tension on the strut (for now).

Any help or advice would be great so these were a group buy so I guess there must be more member using these.

IMG_8041.JPG

IMG_8040.JPG

IMG_8039.JPG

IMG_8042.JPG

IMG_8046.JPG

IMG_8047.JPG

IMG_8048.JPG

Ye i did the same, i have replace the spacers fir washers and the gap from the plenum to the strut is very small like a coupe of sheets of paper thin and the strut still touches the bonnet :/

Thx for the reply

James

15 hours ago, Flipboy said:

Kinetix plenum vs. Plenum spacer on oem plenum ?? Not sure which to buy ??

I bought a kinetix  plenum on a whim then decided against it purely on how it fitted and looked then got a plenum spacer and painted my oem plenum gloss black. IMG_0001.JPG.e0db5601b22d088ca9bd69c8ee02fcde.JPGIMG_0613.JPG.21a7ae5195e6b2596b4dffbae731e615.JPG

• 5 months later...

I got a question about plenum spacers......if i buy a 5/16ths plenum with all the extended bolts and spacers for the plenum.....do i need anything to boost the hieght of the strut bar? I mention this because some plenum kits come with things to boost the height and some dont. So im curious as to which i need

If you've got the oem strut brace then you'll definitely need some washers and longer bolts to space it up else it'll catch on the plenum.

I fitted a motordyne one (https://motordyneengineering.com/product/350z-516-iso-thermal-plenum-spacer/) which came with everything needed for a hassle-free installation. 

Be careful if you decide to buy one without all the kit and do the spacers yourself because if you go too high the strut brace will catch on the bonnet. 

Depends which brand/type you go for but yeah new they're usually between  £200-£300 unless you can get a deal or find one secondhand. The idea is that it increases the volume of the intake plenum and provides a better, more equal supply to each cylinder. 

As it says in the description, they add 10-15bhp so that's entirely up to you whether it's worth it. 

I take it your car is an early DE? If it's a rev-up you'll need an MREV2 as well to see any gains and if it's a HR then there's no need for a spacer due to the better designed twin intake.