Pointless Porsche 911?

davey_83

Now I love all things 911, however this version makes no sense. The  911 T *T for Touring has less kit than a standard 911 entry level car, used lightweight materials, shorter gear ratios and yet is called Touring? For touring you want longer gears, more equipment, more sound proofing for less road noise surely. 

I understand it's appeal over a entry level 911, but not with a name Touring?? Just seems like a new car for new car sake.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/porsche-911-carrera-t-revealed-pared-back-variant

p17_0893.jpg

Edited by davey_83

T refers to the classic 911s that had the same name, in the way R did on the last gen Cayman. It's also nonsense really :lol:

Ignoring the name, this is literally the car Porsche fans have been crying out for for years. Less weight, sprint manual gearbox, sport suspension option... Basically it's a mini-GT3 car with a turbo engine but no limit on supply! The only sad thing is it's more expensive than the non-S, which is a huge shame but not remotely surprising. I can see this being very popular, maybe more so than the GTS models.

I agree reads like a mini GT3, like what Quicksilver was for the GTi range within the Peugeot family. The T part made me shake head, as the spec didn't say Touring to me. Maybe 911 FR *Fast Road, damn you Seat range. 

Well both Ford and Porsche have RS cars, so why not pinch FR too: At least they're in the same group :lol:

Also, no PCM or rear seats as standard! Superb, even though no-one will ever order one without at least one or the other.

• Like 1

I can't keep up with the variations of the new 911 for crying out loud. I saw this car advertised on the car new sites and thought... if this is the most purist...what the hells the point in the 'R'?? Fair enough this doesn't have a limit on supply but then doesn't that make 'R' models look a bit redundant, even if more power. Bloody Porsche... lol

13 hours ago, gangzoom said:

£85K for a car that has less stuff on it than the cheaper standard version......and people think Teslas are overpriced :lol:

Teslas are massively overpriced. Build quality of a toy. 

911 T is a great car

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1

The R is a limited edition NA car that uses the RS engine but with a manual 'box.

The T is a common model turbo charged car that uses a standard engine and is available in either manual or PDK.

I mean, I get your point about lightweight, but really the lightweight thing isn't worth worrying about on both cars: You could lose more by having a poo before going for a drive. The R is made utterly irrelevant now by the 991.2 GT3 Touring, and the T uses the least powerful engine but with a sprint gearbox (watch out for that available on the RS soon methinks, or maybe the next 718 GT4).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ekona said:

I mean, I get your point about lightweight, but really the lightweight thing isn't worth worrying about on both cars: You could lose more by having a poo before going for a drive......

I usually poo myself whilst going for a drive

:coat: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you know... I completely forgot about the N/A Turbo side of things :blush: my bad! I do however think that manufacturers are making specials...then adding these bits to lesser new models to an extent, a bit annoying lol

Oh yeah, it's definitely just a way to drive sales at the lower end with these 'special editions'. It would be nice if they just opened the order catalogues properly so you could order what you actually wanted (so right now you can't have an S with the door pull straps, but you can have a non-S with them now) but it'll never happen. Porsche are probably the best (worst?) in the world for doing stuff like this right now, but then they're also the most profitable too so it clearly works.

On 10/23/2017 at 10:14, Ekona said:

I've not driven the non-S yet, only the S and that was bloody amazing.

I do still want to try the 2.0 718 at some point too.

Anyone drive/tested  a 718 yet, either in 2lt or 2.5lt form?

Reviews suggest the aural experience of the 4 pot is disappointing, even if the sports exhaust is added. Hope that is wrong as otherwise the new shape Cayman is very tempting......

1 minute ago, Ebized said:

Anyone drive/tested  a 718 yet, either in 2lt or 2.5lt form?

Reviews suggest the aural experience of the 4 pot is disappointing, even if the sports exhaust is added. Hope that is wrong as otherwise the new shape Cayman is very tempting......

It's a massive step backwards IMO. just wrong on every level. 

I've driven a 718 Boxster S.

Sound aside, the engine is phenomenal. It pulls like an absolute train, so much torque everywhere, easily as quick if not quick than my 997.2 in practically every situation. Interior is lovely, everything is where it's supposed to be and works well, the suspension and chassis is an improvement on the 981 etc. It's the best sports car regular money can buy.

BUT

It sounds like a hoover. Flat four turbos can sound awesome, but with equal length manifolds then nope. I've not heard one with the PSE yet so maybe that sounds better, but I doubt it. I could get used to it, but IMHO Porsche have really dropped the ball on that which is odd, as they managed to make the 3L turbo lump in the 991.2 cars sound superb.

let's face it everyone ... the 997.2 design is a classic from an aesthetic point of view ... and the fact that it's got a good engine and hydraulic steering will make it the one to buy for the foreseeable future until silly Porsche prices settle down

• 2 months later...

Porsche are seriously playing with our minds, I love the 911 R and what it represents. The 991.2 GT3 is a better car however screams look at me. Now the new GT3 Touring is this gens equivalent 911 R, but for much less money. Does that make the R take a 'back seat' I think it does.

My favourite 911 to date...... 991.2 GT3 Touring B)