Cleaned throttle body - High Idle (FUBAR?)

Tallen-B

In my infinite wisdom I decided to clean the Throttle body on the 350 yesterday (VQ35DE) and manually moved the throttle body.

Now the car idles at 1100rpm and has the odd creep up to 1700 when I clutch in then settles.

Would I be right in saying that I've messed up the throttle body when I manually moved the butterfly? If so I assume I may need a new one?

Any info would be great on this, I did the manual reset and the other things regarding it but it always seems to settle back down to 1100rpm (thats when warm) and it's driving me mad.

21 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Plenty fully working 350Z Throttle Bodies in stock if required.

Just drop me a PM if I can help further.

Would that be the likely issues now? Seems to operate fine just not at ideal and minimal throttle?

I completely moved the butterfly valve when I cleaned my throttlebody and it was fine after doing the reset procedures. Took me quite a few attempts because you have to be very precise with all the timings but you should be able to tell if you've done it correctly by looking at the MIL.

Just now, Jack94 said:

I completely moved the butterfly valve when I cleaned my throttlebody and it was fine after doing the reset procedures. Took me quite a few attempts because you have to be very precise with all the timings but you should be able to tell if you've done it correctly by looking at the MIL.

Sorry, MIL? 

3 minutes ago, Tallen-B said:

Sorry, MIL? 

Malfunction Indicator Light 

https://h-dev.co.uk/350z-reset-proceedure-pedal-dance/?v=79cba1185463

If you follow all the processes on that link when you get to the last one which is the most complicated you'll be able to tell if you've done it correctly because the MIL will flash then illuminate solid. 

1 minute ago, Jack94 said:

Malfunction Indicator Light 

https://h-dev.co.uk/350z-reset-proceedure-pedal-dance/?v=79cba1185463

If you follow all the processes on that link when you get to the last one which is the most complicated you'll be able to tell if you've done it correctly because the MIL will flash then illuminate solid. 

You mean the EML light right? sorry just want to make sure.

As far as I was aware I did it correctly. But I will try again.

Yeah same thing, like I said that should give you an indication whether or not the procedure worked. 

I'm not sure whether it is possible to damage the throttle body by moving it manually (some of the other guys on here probably know a lot more) but yeah I moved mine all the way when I cleaned it out and it's still absolutely fine. 

10 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

Yeah same thing, like I said that should give you an indication whether or not the procedure worked. 

I'm not sure whether it is possible to damage the throttle body by moving it manually (some of the other guys on here probably know a lot more) but yeah I moved mine all the way when I cleaned it out and it's still absolutely fine. 

I thought it was but just wanted to double check, thank you. 

Okay, that's good to know. I'm probably just not doing it right then, perseverance it is then!

did the valve close fully after you cleaned it ? and you didn't touch the grub screw on the outside of the body ?

if the valve fully closes when the engine is off and you've done the throttle reset correctly then maybe you do need a new one seems a bit odd to me

:dry:

14 minutes ago, andybp said:

did the valve close fully after you cleaned it ? and you didn't touch the grub screw on the outside of the body ?

if the valve fully closes when the engine is off and you've done the throttle reset correctly then maybe you do need a new one seems a bit odd to me

:dry:

I believe I didn't touch a grub screw? But I'l going to investigate properly another day. 

It is plausible that I didn't do the relearn properly so I will attempt it again. 

I'm based in Brum and can help out if you anywhere near-ish *sorry I'm on my phone and can't see full details. 

I've also cleaned out my TB and moved the butterfly when doing so, I managed to carry out the reset correctly how this MUST be done on a warm engine or up to temperature. Do the throttle position, idle control and throttle body resets one after the other. 

IMG_20160312_131236_zpswohhqk2y.thumb.JPG.9a8f17880793605ab8dcab4f33c2a757.JPG

9 hours ago, davey_83 said:

I'm based in Brum and can help out if you anywhere near-ish *sorry I'm on my phone and can't see full details. 

I've also cleaned out my TB and moved the butterfly when doing so, I managed to carry out the reset correctly how this MUST be done on a warm engine or up to temperature. Do the throttle position, idle control and throttle body resets one after the other. 

IMG_20160312_131236_zpswohhqk2y.thumb.JPG.9a8f17880793605ab8dcab4f33c2a757.JPG

I thought I had done all this however, after my journey to work this morning (30 minute drive) I tried the idle relearn and low and behold it worked and dropped down to a lovely 750rpm. 

Thank you to everyone for the input, I can restore faith that I didn't break anything but won't go near the throttle body ever again! Haha.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Just needed to be carried out on a warm engine x

It was originally when I first gave it a drive and noticed the issue I thought so may have done it incorrectly then wasnt up to the criteria when I tried again. 

Either way, glad it's done.