is there a tyre that typically fits wider?

Hayd350

Morning chaps,

Basically running a 275 / 40/18 on my 10.5 rim which i'd assume are pretty standard for uk 350z owners. Ideally for fitment I'd rather run a 285 / 40 however it seems to exist only in a run flat so it's a none starter. My question is in anyone's experience with tyres is there a brand that typically run wider which would give me that slightly taller side wall on their 275 when compared to  say Falken's 275. Extremely reluctant to drop to a 35 profile on an 18 too.

Any help is as always appreciated.

• Hayd350 changed the title to is there a tyre that typically fits wider?

Short answer is no. Some may appear to sit wider due to the increased rim protection (Michelin especially have HUGE ones), but that won't give you a bigger sidewall as that will still be calculated from the 275mm width.

What size are you running on the front?

17 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Short answer is no. Some may appear to sit wider due to the increased rim protection (Michelin especially have HUGE ones), but that won't give you a bigger sidewall as that will still be calculated from the 275mm width.

What size are you running on the front?

Cheers Ekona , I was hoping you'd chime in on this one. I'm running a 255 / 40 upfront on a 9.5. I appreciate the fronts will need to change if i change the backs but it looks like I'll be sticking with the more conventional format after your comment. To be fair there's certainly nothing wrong with it, the wall just tapers off  a tad too early and in a readily available world I'd opt for a 285 / 265 set up.

Interestingly you've gained 12mm sidewall at the front using that combo, whilst losing a gnat's **** at the rear. I agree that going to a 275/35 on the rear would look a little odd, however if you dropped to a 245/35 at the front then went 275/35 at the rear you'd find them looking much better with just a 10mm difference between them. 245 is within spec for a 9.5 wheel (just!), so maybe another option?

18 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Interestingly you've gained 12mm sidewall at the front using that combo, whilst losing a gnat's **** at the rear. I agree that going to a 275/35 on the rear would look a little odd, however if you dropped to a 245/35 at the front then went 275/35 at the rear you'd find them looking much better with just a 10mm difference between them. 245 is within spec for a 9.5 wheel (just!), so maybe another option?

Ahhh really, i thought I'd gain circa 12mm on the rear side wall too with a 285 / 40. (although i listed the 285 first, it was meant for the rear) I'll look a little more closely at a 35 profile before completely dismissing it. The main aim is to increase side wall height thus reducing the appearance of arch gap but keeping everything within spec. Form and function.

Edited by Hayd350

If you reduce sidewall, you reduce arch gap :) We are talking fractions here: I'm not convinced that a 285/40 would look noticeably different from a 275/35 if I'm honest, not from the side. 10/12/15mm is nothing, bearing in mind that's over the diameter so just 5/6/7.5mm top or bottom. On a car that's 4m long and 1.3m high it's going to be almost impossible to tell. I'd be more concerned about buying decent tyres than worrying about the width of a pen in arch gap.

The guys that run 19s have got it right in terms of looks, but I prefer to stick with 18s as well because I don't want the extra weight.

7 minutes ago, Ekona said:

If you reduce sidewall, you reduce arch gap :) We are talking fractions here: I'm not convinced that a 285/40 would look noticeably different from a 275/35 if I'm honest, not from the side. 10/12/15mm is nothing, bearing in mind that's over the diameter so just 5/6/7.5mm top or bottom. On a car that's 4m long and 1.3m high it's going to be almost impossible to tell. I'd be more concerned about buying decent tyres than worrying about the width of a pen in arch gap.

The guys that run 19s have got it right in terms of looks, but I prefer to stick with 18s as well because I don't want the extra weight.

Agreed, tyre selection is the more important thing here so it'll be the key factor in my decision making. To be perfectly honest trying to straighten the tyre wall and reduce the arch gap by the width of a pen is exactly my aim :lol: I'm in search of perfection and perfection is 4mil. Cheers for your help and thoughts :thumbs: