StarTrek and Expanse

gangzoom

Second series? They’re still on the first one matey...

But yes, seems to be much improved of late. Bit obvious with the mirror universe and the Emperor, but still very enjoyable. Feels a bit more ST now, and totally didn’t see the doctor being killed coming at all! 

15 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Second series? They’re still on the first one matey...

But yes, seems to be much improved of late. Bit obvious with the mirror universe and the Emperor, but still very enjoyable. Feels a bit more ST now, and totally didn’t see the doctor being killed coming at all! 

swine I've not got that far yet lol

Ha don't be so pedantic man :lol:

Yes the doctor was a complete shock, although he was a background character it was still a bit gutting to see him killed off so easily. 

Spoiler

Captain Lorca finally found out, explains all the decisions made previously and seeing his reflection in the window - I presume the other Lorca is dead in the explosion then and so is Burnham in the mirror universe. I like the Emperor she is particularly nasty, it was a really good piece of story telling in the last few minutes to literally pull the whole series into line, make sense of what was annoying people, and literally turn it all on its head as to who was good and who was bad.

Spoiler for Jays sake... :lol:

• Like 1

Caught up on some episodes. The whole Terran empire thing looks like a bad copy of the orginal series, disappointing to be honest.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_Universe

The Expanse is looking great though, hope S3 continues the same way, much more refreshing than the current ST story.

Edited by gangzoom

8 hours ago, Jay84 said:

Finished s1 now I was an episode away from the dr being killed off. So where have you seen this 2nd series? 

I'm also really looking forward to The Expanse s3

It's further episodes of series one. Are you watching it on Netflix app? Some people reported you need to log out and log back in again to get it to show up.

4 hours ago, gangzoom said:

Caught up on some episodes. The whole Terran empire thing looks like a bad copy of the orginal series, disappointing to be honest.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_Universe

The Expanse is looking great though, hope S3 continues the same way, much more refreshing than the current ST story.

Its not a copy though if its simply using a part of the star trek storyline again? That makes perfect sense in so much that you use different parts of a stories universe at difference times. Given that Discovery in its timeline comes before Kirk and co, why not introduce more back story to the mirror universe?

Expanse I might have to watch some of series 2 again to get back up to speed on though, it had so many sub plots I will need a refresher before series 3 comes along.

On 25/01/2018 at 11:43, coldel said:

Anyone know anything about Altered Carbon which is coming up in Feb on netflix?

I know i can't wait lol. It looks like an amazing piece of cyber punk based on the same titled book. Human consciousness transferred from body to body for the rich, with a Blade Runner-esque detective story. 

I've not had chance to try resetting Netflix to catch up on ST:D yet. 

9 hours ago, Jay84 said:

I know i can't wait lol. It looks like an amazing piece of cyber punk based on the same titled book. Human consciousness transferred from body to body for the rich, with a Blade Runner-esque detective story. 

I've not had chance to try resetting Netflix to catch up on ST:D yet. 

Rip-roaring books so hopefully the series does them justice.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the first 10 mins of the Cloverfield Paradox on Netflix, looks a bit crap already but worth giving it a go. I really liked Bright with Will Smith that came out recently though!

Will start on Altered Carbon soon...

I liked Bright too, but I had the same reaction to Bright as I did Logan, where I felt like they were swearing for swearings sake. I soon got used to it and enjoyed the film though.

I looked at the Cloverfield but decided Carbon was more for me.

Cloverfield Paradox is utter garbage, it was worse than I actually thought it was going to be! A mismash of confused storylines stealing all the classic part from other sci-fi films and just making a complete mess of it. With JJ Abrams involved and some good actors like Daniel Bruhl on the cast you would think they could cobble together a decent storyline! It really was rubbish it was almost laughable.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Altered Carbon - really takes a lot of concentration as the story is so multi-dimensional blink and you miss a key link which holds it all together. And getting used to the language as well! But well worth the effort, it has left it open for another series which is good.

• 10 months later...