StarTrek and Expanse

gangzoom

Yeah I finished Expanse, its was really good it really does keep you on the edge of your seat, no clear goodies vs baddies thing and you don't know who to trust! 

Started and finished Stranger Things 2 in two days...was BRILLIANT although a few loose ends left at the end that no character seemed to address...

Not seen it yet...

I’ve come to the conclusion it’s just average sci-fi, and not actually Star Trek at all. That’s okay, it’s still watchable but I don’t find myself desperate to watch it in the way I did DS9 or VOY, or even GoT for something more up to date. I don’t think it’s the story or setting so much as the really quite poor acting. The captain appears to have a bit of life, but everyone else is dead in the eyes. 

On 10/9/2017 at 17:27, Ekona said:

Michael is also a stupid name for a woman. Utterly ridiculous idea.

Klingon funeral rites haven't been changed since they were introduced when K'ehleyr died in Worf's arms, so that's 27 years ;)

Dan you complete Trekker :lol:

Finally saw ST:D s1e07 and it was brilliant! :D

That's all I wanted, a proper standalone episode that didn’t mess around with existing canon. I’ve no issue with Magic Space Bear Man being able to remember stuff through time, no issue with Mudd being a bit clever, no issue with any of it at all. Could’ve done without Lady Mike being a bit weird all the time, but I’ve just accepted she’s a sh*t character. 

Nope, that was the first episode I’ve actuslly enjoyed watching rather than waiting for it to suck. More of that please. 

On 23/10/2017 at 09:24, Flex said:

but 'magic bear' is capable of inter dimensional travel so water could have come from anywhere.

Sometimes you need to give the writers some slack and just go with it.

Not seen any of the new ST series' but this Magic Bear character FTL/inter dimensional traveller sounds like a complete rip off of the Warhammer 40,000K "navigator gene" that allows for interdimensional travel and warp jumps. And that fluff was conceived back in the 80s by the games works bunch. 

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Navigator

Love the 40k lore/fluff/background.

ST has always been a big favourite of mine. Comforting to watch.

Even when I turn an episode on and I hear the familiar background hum of the engines, I feel instantly at home. 

Watched STTNG religiously on weeknights as a young teen in mid 90s. 

Voyage was a good second to TNG.  Jerry Ryan AKA sixty-nine as I like to call her, made Mulgrews voice and mannerisms bareable. 

DS9. Couldn't get into it. I've tried and tried. It feels like barter town in space and the Ferengi's twist my Mellon! Feds should have tooled up and exterminated them just for the craic and being the annoying imps that they are. 

I liked ST:E a fair bit. And Scott Bakula is always good in a series. Seems like a proper decent guy. I seriously don't get how they didn't do a novelty one off cross over episode with Scott reprising his quantum leap character and Al turning up with a morally challenging dilemma and plot for the episode. Morphing into captain of the enterprise and saying "oh boy" sat in the big chair mid battle with the Xindi. Lol. 

Edited by TT350
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Finally saw ST:D s1e07 and it was brilliant! :D

That's all I wanted, a proper standalone episode that didn’t mess around with existing canon. I’ve no issue with Magic Space Bear Man being able to remember stuff through time, no issue with Mudd being a bit clever, no issue with any of it at all. Could’ve done without Lady Mike being a bit weird all the time, but I’ve just accepted she’s a sh*t character. 

Nope, that was the first episode I’ve actuslly enjoyed watching rather than waiting for it to suck. More of that please. 

Haha but surely there is Dan logic shouting out loud over all of it. Mudd escapes Klingon prison without a single reason as to how after being in it for ages. Despite Discovery being a war vessel every single encounter with Mudd has them losing and pretty much all the crew walking around unarmed and unable to get rid of a single guy. The fact that he can walk onto a starship and take control of the computer and lock out the captain without any explanation of how. At the end despite this guy repeatedly murdering the captain he seems quite happy to play out a scenario where Mudd thinks he's called the klingons but despite only getting a minutes notice the Baron and his daughter rock up, guess they were just hanging out down the road were they? And the captain, who at every opportunity generally wants to kill anything, seems happy to let the murderous Mudd wander off with this other doppy doris. If Mudd can escape a klingon prison ship then surely its a doddle to simply escape the clutches of the doppy doris and come attack the captain in some other way? Mudd also possess info on the spore drive now, he can still use that information and is dangerous. :lol:

I fugure the Kligons let him out as he promised them he could get them the Discovery. And yeah, being able to bypass the computer system was never explained however since he can control time I guess he had many many goes to figure it out. The captain seems to be happy to let people suffer in the worst way rather than kill them: He left Mudd alone in the cell rather than shoot him for treachery, so it kinda makes sense that he figures having the FIL looking over him for the rest of his life is worse than death, especially when it seems that's the one person in the universe Mudd is afraid off.

I agree about the spore drive info, however maybe that's a future story? Or maybe as we already know that it doesn't work properly by TOS then it doesn't really matter who finds out about it :lol:

How could he promise to get Discovery? He had no knowledge of where it was or why it was important. He had no bargaining power at all? He said in the story he escaped not that he negotiated his way out. He also mentioned he had done the 30 mins about 50 times, so that only 24 hours or so of 30 minute spots where he has to somehow circumnavigate a locked out computer system. And the magic 30 minute wrist device that appeared from nowhere that no race has ever managed to create at that time. 

And you complained about a bear that lost some water and got it back again? :lol:

He was locked up with the captain, Klingons knew about Discovery, not hard to make the leap that Mudd said he could help them get it?

I get where you're coming from, and I do know that I've gone from hating it to loving it in one episode, but all the leaps of faith in this one just seem tiny compared to the last few episodes. Maybe a lot of it is just that I'm glad we're back to interesting one-off stories, rather than epic story arc that actually seemed to be going nowhere and getting more preposterous all the time.

And Magic Space Bear is still ridiculous :p:p:p

See I thought it was the worst episode! So he knew the captain was captain of the Discovery, but so did the klingons thats why they captured him. If Mudd could have got to the Discovery then the klingons would simply have made him do it, why allow him free to then bargain a pay off to deliver it - they are not that way inclined and simply would have said to Mudd do it or we kill you. The idea this guy Mudd can suddenly become capable of taking over a war ship - even if he had a time machine is just more preposterous. It was farcial. If he was so good why was he sat in a Klingon cell for 7 months. How did he get captured in the first place. It seemed a completely random episode where nothing made any sense and all the characters after spending 6 episodes building up their characters then did the complete opposite of what they are meant to be. It was daft, ridiculous and completely unrealistic in that universe but hey I guess it was different to the overall story. How many  episodes are due for this series?