StarTrek and Expanse

gangzoom

Don't really get a chance to watch much TV these days but had Sunday night free, thought I have a look on Netflix for anything that wasn't a cartoon/nursery rhythm!!

Came across the new StarTrek series and also the second season of the Expanse.

I know there are a few other geeks on here who like a bit of Sci Fi, both seem really good - especially on a OLED panel. Certainly much better TV than all the dancing shows/pseudo reality rubbish around.

Now just need to find another evening free from child care duties to watch a few more episodes :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(TV_series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery

Edited by gangzoom

New Star Trek is brilliant, its gone VERY dark and not used to seeing so much blood and gore! Growing up in the 90s I religiously watched Next Generation and a couple of months ago started watching all 150 episodes again on Netflix, they nailed the cast in that and love it. Never really got into DS9 or Voyager (her voice set my OCD off all the time!).

I wouldn't mind ST:D (heh) so much if it wasn't set in the Prime universe. There's just too many things that make absolutely no sense whatsoever. A change of look for the Klingons is fine by me, but changing their funeral rites? Nope. Making subordination just a regular ol' thing on a Ferderation starship? Nope. And having a captain who is apparently completely okay with taking the most famous criminal in the quadrant and giving them free reign into a classified programme? Definitely nope. And let's not even go into why Spock has never ever ever mentioned that he grew up with a Terran girl... :lol:

It might be good TV (which it is), but it's not Star Trek. I don't get how they got the new films so very right yet this so very wrong.

Funeral rites, bah its been changed a million times to suit a storyline what Klingons do, same for Vulcans and so on and so forth none of the timeline from the original is really that well defined. Klingons look different because well they are not working with lumps of plasticine stuck to peoples heads anymore - it was only 40 years ago in the 1970s every human had mullets down to their hips now shaved all over is pretty much the norm. As for the captain taking on Michael, we have yet to see how that pans out, whats his motives are, maybe it makes complete sense if he is looking for a numpty to lay something on if things go wrong etc. I mean who would believe a con over a captain. You cannot cite that as a problem when we do not know the full storyline yet...

I was more referring to looks, rites, locations etc its always changed to suit the story - as have the looks even in the Star Trek movies of late the non human species look different to the originals. Michael, why is that ridiculous? Sexist marxist that you are! :lol:

Of course new threads appear that were never mentioned before, because otherwise you are constrained to a pretty narrow and dull universe otherwise. 

So Star Trek Into Darkness, Kirk breaks every rule, then something happens, gets ship given back in the blink of an eye. Air traffic control clearly on their lunch break when stolen aircraft flies completely unchallenged at the full leadership of earth in their head quarters having a meeting, Kirk stands in front of exploding window hit by shrapnel bullets and all sorts and is the only survivor, oh whole building full of people explodes, 42 dead?  Dodgy torpedoes loaded onto star ship, no one seems to give a hoot, Scotty is the only one rightly pointing out that they should be erm checked over, and has to quit for this crazy idea...so on and so forth, and you are pointing out the problem with a captain using a con on his ship ;)

Off kilter not in the Prime universe? Like when a the beginning of the Kelvin universe the way to get into starfleet is to ride your bike up to a secret development site (guarded by a 6 foot chain fence which is about 100 feet from a space ship being built in a see through hanger) and throw the keys at a random bloke and then jump on a shuttle and you are in, hell you are even an officer. Hmmm yeah thats more than a little off kilter that is downright stupid, as stupid as calling a woman Michael possibly ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Might give expanse a go. I liked the new ST, but agree with you 2 about the Klingon changes. I sit and tell myself that they've just evolved a bit in NG which is why they look less...spikey. Also looking forward to Stranger Things 2. I've been watching The MIst, it held my attention in a curiosity kinda way, but then I found out there will be no season 2, so I have discarded that part way through. 

I know it divides opinion, but isn't Grand Tour s2 on soon? 

Yes GT2 coming soon - although not holding my breath I thought the first one was downright terrible and just used to skip to the driving bits which meant about 15 minutes worth of footage each episode.

I also watched The Mist, it was a bit daft and as one reviewer put it 'he ended up rooting for the mist rather than the characters' and yes its been binned. I watched it all the way through in the hope it would improve but was left disappointed.

And yes Klingons, those in the films (new and old) looked different to those in NG, to those in the original and so on - they always look different depending on what make up/technology is on offer at the time :lol:

I always found DS9 a bit weird, the whole explore new life and new civilisation seemed a bit redundant on a space station...not much of a trek. But the occasional old face popping in was fun, like Worf.

Good shout on Expanse, I quite like it in a gritty space kind of way. 

Yes Expanse does away with all the invented stuff on Star Trek (inertial dampers etc.) and that a big blast across space does actually cause people to feel sick and have a few issues! Takes a while to get to grips with the three or four sub stories all going on at once but now on episode 8 and its all coming together now.

• Like 1

It does give you that feeling that at any point the ships they are in could just fall to pieces, like being in space is actually dangerous and life hangs in the balance. Takes some getting used to Martians being humans though haha.

17 hours ago, coldel said:

Yes Expanse does away with all the invented stuff on Star Trek (inertial dampers etc.) and that a big blast across space does actually cause people to feel sick and have a few issues! Takes a while to get to grips with the three or four sub stories all going on at once but now on episode 8 and its all coming together now.

Oh no, does that mean I have to think to watch this? That's not what TV is about for me lol.

1 hour ago, Kev T said:

I have started to watch Expanse and it has definite promise, i do find that they mumble a bit though making it hard to understand the dialogue.

Yes, I thought it was just me going deaf.

Enjoying it though, only second episode so far, might cram one in now whilst Mrs is out.

10 hours ago, Kev T said:

I have started to watch Expanse and it has definite promise, i do find that they mumble a bit though making it hard to understand the dialogue.

I find a lot of shows like that nowadays,cant quite understand why it should be with technology supposedly better than ever !!