D.I.Y workshop exhaust extractor ideas?

88 Zed

Hi all, winter will soon be here, the heater in work will be fired up and one side of the garage doors will be closed. Sounds cosey? Well it’s not.

working in a garage / MOT station means one thing in the winter........Diesel fumes.

the majority of cars on the roads today are diesel, without getting into a debate about there efficiency or affordability I’m going to say I HATE Diesel engines.

They stink, make my eyes water and burn my nose and as my boss is old he doesn’t appreciate having both sets of doors open to air the place out in the colder months.

This year I’m determined to come up with an affordable D.I.Y (or not) exhaust extraction system so I don’t have to put up with being slowly gassed to death by the devils fuel.

Any suggestions welcome....

I guess the difficulty is allowing access for the diesel smoke meter while the engine is revved. Even worse when it's owned by an old lady who thinks it a practical car to pop to the shops in and fill the workshop with soot. We've got old school roof extractor pipes. Our heating is rubbish though and we're tempted to burn an old oil drum hobo style.

7 minutes ago, Jay84 said:

I guess the difficulty is allowing access for the diesel smoke meter while the engine is revved. Even worse when it's owned by an old lady who thinks it a practical car to pop to the shops in and fill the workshop with soot. We've got old school roof extractor pipes. Our heating is rubbish though and we're tempted to burn an old oil drum hobo style.

Well after a lot of moaning over the last few winters we do the smoke test first with the cars exhaust backed outside. However it seems to be some of the higher end cars that stink the most, BMWs seem particularly Punjant even on tick over.

Probably due to the amount of emissions systems running to supposidly reduce harmful gases.

I have the bigger version so can't compare it to the smaller one.   The bigger version is a little bit loud to be fair but it isn't on all the time only when it's needed.

They will all be fairly loud as it's basically a high powered fan.  Skip toward the end of this video and listen to this:

Was thinking a few (2 or 3 radiator fans) in a custom made wooden box and will need an adaptor to convert 240v to 12v .....Output is connected to one of these (https://www.cveshop.co.uk/cveshophome/cat_825205-Aluminium-Fire-Rated-Flex.html) then input could be something like a vacuum hose (might need to find something high temp). I won't expect this to be very efficient but if the exhaust is connected to a hose, most of the exhaust fumes will be extracted out?

Edited by veeg33

5 hours ago, veeg33 said:

Was thinking a few (2 or 3 radiator fans) in a custom made wooden box and will need an adaptor to convert 240v to 12v .....Output is connected to one of these (https://www.cveshop.co.uk/cveshophome/cat_825205-Aluminium-Fire-Rated-Flex.html) then input could be something like a vacuum hose (might need to find something high temp). I won't expect this to be very efficient but if the exhaust is connected to a hose, most of the exhaust fumes will be extracted out?

Good idea, radiator fans might be a bit too big tho, it needs to be portable and easy to move into position otherwise my colleges will stop using it haha.

I just don’t understand why they are £1500 when they are basically a fan and some ducting! Am I missing something?

6 hours ago, Jords said:

I have the bigger version so can't compare it to the smaller one.   The bigger version is a little bit loud to be fair but it isn't on all the time only when it's needed.

They will all be fairly loud as it's basically a high powered fan.  Skip toward the end of this video and listen to this:

That sounds like it’s got some serious extracting power :D

13 hours ago, 88 Zed said:

Good idea, radiator fans might be a bit too big tho, it needs to be portable and easy to move into position otherwise my colleges will stop using it haha.

I just don’t understand why they are £1500 when they are basically a fan and some ducting! Am I missing something?

I'm sure there are smaller ones? Use MDF board and add little wheels below should be portable =) £1500 way too expensive IMO. 10% of that will get you something ready made and decent on Ebay, but not sure about build quality.

• 3 months later...