Outdoor cover.

bluethermal

Hi all,  i'm picking up my 313 350z next weekend and as I want to keep it nice and shiney and will probably only drive it occasionally, has anyone got a recommendation for an outdoor cover?  Thanks for any guidance and hope to meet some of you out and about. Pete.

Are the outdoor covers not meant to increase the likelihood of introducing swirls etc as bit of dust and dirt can end up trapped between the paint and the cover then get moved about by the wind?

Would you not be better just using a good sealant on it so all it requires is a quick wash after being sat for long periods of time?

Been covered a fair few times on here, in summary:

1. Stormforce are the premium priced ones

2. Halfords ones are made of the same stuff and do pretty much the same thing (4 layer breathable)

3. You will get scratches and swirls if your car is not immaculately clean underneath

4. Even then if a stone or small item gets under it and bounces around between the car and cover in bad weather it will scratch

Personally I used one for 6 months on my VX220 and it was fine - just bear in mind the above.

1 hour ago, 350jimbobz said:

I've had one of those covers constantly on a project car sat on my Mum's drive for over 2 years now (one day I'll get round to starting it!) and its only just starting to go a bit thin over where it touches the wing mirrors and back back bumper, so they are definitely pretty hard wearing! :)

You will only get swirl damage if there is crap under the cover, the type of cover is kind of irrelevant. Ricey on here showed a Porsche which had been sat under a cover which was blowing about and had some dirt particles under it and it was swirled like nothing you have ever seen. It does happen, plenty of evidence under the right conditions it will, if you keep it secured, and keep the car spotless underneath you will generally avoid it and be unlucky if it does happen. 

• 3 weeks later...