How low will it go? GT-R Depreciation

-G-

Car and driver lap times https://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-20062017-historical-data-every-lap-time-every-car-feature

These are the peers to the Golf R - Not the R35 

154 LL2 Nissan 370Z NISMO (2009) 3:12.0 #4 (2010)
155 LL2 Volkswagen Golf R (2015) 3:12.3 #9 (2015)
156 LL1 Ford Mustang V-6 (2011) 3:12.5 #5 (2011)
157 LL1 Nissan 350Z Track (2006) 3:12.5 #1 (2007)

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

I dunno, I think you might be surprised. Less weight, newer electronics, newer chassis... I bet there's not as much in it as you'd think.

I'll go have a hunt for lap times.

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/dl62pf4g2d0n

I didnt think i would be, more than a minute around the ring ;)

Edited by Jetpilot

12 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Golf R v R35 GT-R:  get real guys.

One word:  MISMATCH

Jesus Christ. 

If you have about £30K in your pocket and want to do 11 second quarters, they are both valid choices.
If you want a new car to take the kids to school and do the shopping every day, one is clearly better than the other, if you dont mind an older car and want to drive on racetracks, one is clearly better than the other but it doesnt stop them being the same money.  

And Im sorry but this is just naive, money is not the only driver to buying cars or we would all be driving £500 Fiestas.

I listed off enough reasons in my last post, if you CBA to read it Im not going to bother posting it up again, suffice to say I could have bought a car that cost three times what mine dis, I could even have bought a new GTR but after considering practicality, running costs, depreciation, reliability and a few other things I bought what suited me best. 

The only reason anyone would take an X over a Y is if they cant afford a Y

I can see the appeal of the Golf, parallel parking on the school run where you tangle with Chelsea tractors and bangers owned by people who don't care on streets where people park on both sides the Golf would be the smart choice. If it was my money I'd still have the GTR. Lets face it, we're a forum of people who like the Nissan Z cars, a car that is a little dated in its ethos: 3.5 litre NA V6 2 seater. For the money could we have bought something faster, more practical and better handling? Of course. Do we regret our purchase? Hell no. 

In terms of how low will the price go, where did the r34 bottom out? Because in my head I think the r35 GTR will be about 10-15k above that due to its renown, which Id argue is bigger than the 34.  I know its a RREEEAAAAAAALLLLYYYY long way away, but the US import market will affect the cost of these cars too (I think). 

I think they will continue to drop for a while yet, then start to appreciate in value. The older cars are strong money when you consider what they cost new. 

Like others have mentioned. If you can afford a gtr it's worth going for a newer one around £45k rather than a £30k car. 

Edited by Kev

On 05/10/2017 at 17:44, Jetpilot said:

I would love to know how Honda have done a "bad job" with the NSX, they are fetching hefty premiums and long term order if you buy through a dealer, plus they have pretty good reviews from what i have seen.

it betrays the ethos of the original nsx by being heavy and filled to the brim with drive numbing technology while not being as fast as the trio of hybrid super cars spawned 2-3 years ago. Not to mention expensive.

Bit unfair to expect the NSX to be as quick as cars costing ten times as much, so in that respect it’s a bit of a bargain. 

Still ugly and with the interior of a Civic, mind you. I’d love to drive the GT3 version with no hybrid nonsense, I bet that’s a riot. 

9 hours ago, Sargara said:

it betrays the ethos of the original nsx by being heavy and filled to the brim with drive numbing technology while not being as fast as the trio of hybrid super cars spawned 2-3 years ago. Not to mention expensive.

So if it carried any other name than NSX, would you still say its a "bad job"? 

Have to say completely oblivious to the Golf R capabilities until now, a quick YT search shows guys doing 0-60 in 3.6 to 3.7 seconds with a stage 2 map which is just mental. I suspect in gear around a track the GTR would whooop it but wow if you want a practical car which when needed can absolutely belt down the road, what a great bit of kit.

• Like 2

I've been saying that on here for ages now,  the capabilities of modern hot hatch backs is properly mental. 

With that said a recent meet I attended at a ford club really opened my eyes as to what can be achieved with the slightly older cars with a few simple (ish) mods. 

One lad had a Hybrid Turbo MK2 ST and it was very fast in gear. Running a reliable 379+ BHP for less than 8k including the car purchase is mental. 

Ooft, just seen the servicing costs you posted for the GTR thats not bad at all, bit scary when you get up to the 7-800 odds but 400 not bad at all. Lot of chat about these Golf R's... :yawn: god I hate them lol. Fast but lets be honest, if you were looking at a GTR, even if you could spec a Golf R to be faster, you'd still pick the GTR... cos' you want the experience and drama, I doubt you get that from a Golf. I'm pretty sure a lot more slower cars will make you feel happier than a Golf R... IMO anyway.  Nice to here about some personal experiences of the GTR's cos there is a lot of horror stories about early cars and you kinda wonder... how many people ACTUALLY experience all these problems. 

GTR depreciation..... hmmmm, I didnt lose much on mine after 6 years ;) considering that the R36 should be here soon, I dont think it will have anything but a positive effect on the older cars. Rumours are that the R36 will be a hybrid, with 700+ hp, but most important, the price will be silly! Well over 6 figures, which means its no longer a easy/sensible purchase. That would in turn mean that the old cars will hold their value...... IMO

• Like 2