Winter tyres

Finners

Hi guys just looking for some advise on the best winter tyre that are out there for the Z hopefully won't use it much in the snow but living in Scotland chances are I will need to so looking for something to keep to on the road.

Michelin pilot alpine pa4 Front and back £676 from black circles.

How much would a banger cost? + tax + insurance + yearly MOT + servicing???

My winter tyres would have lasted me 3-4 years. I've wrote about tread wear somewhere on this forum. Put them on in October and then took them off in late March.

Only when average temp was below 7c. But the OP is in Scotland, so gonna guess that's a good time period to use them.

Also winter tyres aren't just about snow. The grip I got in cold conditions over the mpss was amazing. They're just not made to perform in colder temps.

My last point, how many smiles per mile would a banger give you over a 350z?

/thread :boxing:

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid

I got almost 28K from some Pirelli Scorpions. 

Very comforting to have them there in the wet and cold as they never let go once.  Much, much better than summer tyres (I had Bridgestones on prior to them)

They are not exactly a snow tyre full-on like some really aggressive pattern tyres but then who wants tyres that look like they came of a monster truck anyway :lol:  But they were good in the on-and-off snow we had last year and good on frosty mornings and dodgy roads. They might struggle to pull you out a deep drift but they are a decent winter tyre all the same.

That 28K was from driving them all year round.  After a long (hundreds of fast miles) drive on a hot day they get slacker and you can feel them move a little in the fast corners, but it's predictable and not going to catch you out.  That's useful to know when our winters go from horrid to spring and then - just when you are about to change your tyres go back -  to horrid again.  In the end I gave up trying to work when to change them as I still had them on in July!

• Like 1

On 10/5/2017 at 21:00, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

Michelin pilot alpine pa4 Front and back £676 from black circles.

How much would a banger cost? + tax + insurance + yearly MOT + servicing???

My winter tyres would have lasted me 3-4 years. I've wrote about tread wear somewhere on this forum. Put them on in October and then took them off in late March.

Only when average temp was below 7c. But the OP is in Scotland, so gonna guess that's a good time period to use them.

Also winter tyres aren't just about snow. The grip I got in cold conditions over the mpss was amazing. They're just not made to perform in colder temps.

My last point, how many smiles per mile would a banger give you over a 350z?

/thread :boxing:

Banger with 6month to a year mot £350-450 for a mechanically sound one.

Insurance if you are doing it right should be less than £200 but with a refund if you cancel after winter when you bin/ sell the car. Yearly mot? £0 :lol: Servicing?£0 :lol: it's not a keeper so no need to waste money on this.

Road tax refund on the zed while parked up for the winter £££

Petrol costs of running a 1.0 vs 3.5 can pretty much pay for the car the savings made here over 4-5 month if you average 1k a month.

The luxury of parking as close to the shops as possible in the p*ssing down rain and not care when inconsiderate fellow drivers batter your door with theirs, priceless B):lol: 

You can get two half decent winter tyres for about £80 for the banger if you want the extra assurance, front wheel drive usually so no need to stick them on the back.

9 hours ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

Fair enough, but only works if he can keep the zed off road. If he has to park on public roads, then he can't untax it. With regards to the rest if your argument, never thought of it like that.

Personally I'd still rather drive a zed on winters irrespective of cost than buy a winter banger.

Yeh its each to their own. After my first winter of owning the zed and taking me 40min to get out my street in the morning I went down the banger route and have never looked back, too many hills where I stay. Pretty common in the winter to watch people slide right out of the junctions onto the road or slide into the kerb on the last corner in the scheme and thats before you hit the main roads :lol: