New belts fitted and now I’ve a terrible squeal

Jay M1988

Evening all,

Firstly I have used the search tool and few threads I’ve read through but nothing’s changed on the car and I’ve started to feel like ripping the belts off haha.

So I’m sure a few will read this and go not this again.

I had my car serviced and part of the service was to fit a new alt belt and ac belt of which I bought through a trader I believe they were gates belts.

Now first week cars been absolutely fine, but say three weeks later or so upon every cold start up morning/evening aka cars sat for bit or even a few hours I start the car and within a second or so it squeals like a pig. This stops after say 10 seconds sometimes a little more.

Now what have I done about it. Firstly I’ve checked which belt is causing the above by spraying a bit water on the belts. 

When applied to the alt belt the noise stops but as waters dispersed it comes back until cars ran for over the 10 seconds (roughly)

Secondly I’ve checked the pulleys and there’s not wobbles no play.

Thirdly I’ve no tool to check tension of the longest run of the belt but I heard some talk of turn the belt 90 degrees on longest run, I can just and I mean just do this the belt is very tight. I’d say it gets 80degrees and 90 degrees takes a lil force. Ac belts tight also but turns 90 degrees fine.

People mention deflection but I’ve no tool to understand when I’ve added 98n/10kg. Deflection is easy with a ruler. I’ve tried just pressing down hard on the alt belt and it moves to 5mm under heavy pressing. 

Sorry this is so so long winded.

Next step was to check/see if belts on grooves and honestly I think it is on there.

Just to round up  the belts don’t squeal when cars been used only on cold start up or when cars sat few hours at least. So say I get to garage or work and tried to start it again when got it doesn’t squeal.

ermmmm I’m running out of ideas, I’m going to check torque on the pulley as doubt garage has used torque wrench. 

Im confused, car didn’t do this before the new belts. Any advice on this is truly welcome hate walking to my car knowing it’s going to scream the place down like a child haha. 

Get oem belts? Tighten up more or less? Check deflection using something? Check torque on pulley? Just a few things going round in my head. Cars been driven 6 hours to JAE this year so should be worn in lol. 

Incase its a low battery as cars used one weekend a month that’s on charge now, and will fit tomos and see if any squeal.

Edited by Jay M1988

I had the same thing when I changed my belts with gates belts. Fine for a few weeks then started to squeal, just tighten the belt u up a little bit more. It's easy to do, there's vids on YouTube. Just slacked the 14mm pulley bolts and tight the 12mm tensioner bolt underneath, til take you 5mins to do. Tighten ntill it stops squeaking.. as in tight up 2 to 4 turns on the tensioner bolt and see what's its like for a couple of days and tighten more if necessary. I was the same wondering about tension when fitting mine. I did it to 90 deg turn of the belt the had to tighten up a few weeks later. Don't worry about it 

Thanks rob I’ll try that tomos. Checked the vids and guide on belts altering looks easy enough. Just weird I can’t turn that alt belt 90 degrees without really putting some effort in already. I’ll tighten it a turn or so and start it up till it stops. 

The belt/ belts have not been tightened correctly.

Could be either of the two that is loose, but I would bet its the AC belt as it's the worst out of the two adjusters to get to.

You can get to the adjuster by removing the engine cover and getting your arm down between the engine and fan shroud, but it's difficult to do it this way and you can only turn the adjuster slowly

The other way is to remove the sump cover underneath the car and get to the adjuster that way. This would involve jacking the car up.

If it was me I would take it back to the garage. They should know when you tell them the belt is squealing when cold that they need tightening more. Regardless of it not happening when you get the car to them.

Edited by Rob332

Well I’ve refitted the fully barged battery and the squeal was about 1-2 seconds long.

is it possible to have the belts too tight? 

Ive now tightened the ac belt a little more (few turns and both turn 90 degrees no more)

going to wait till tomos morning so the car has sat again overnight and check all again.

thanks for the help guys.