Finally, an MPS4 review I can trust

Ekona

6 hours ago, docwra said:

Dont disagree with you Butcher ......... until it rains, the MPS are definitely better in the wet. Also difficult to compare car to car, a bit of camber and some tyre pressures can make a lot more difference than whether the tyre is a Yoko or a Michelin.  

Totally agreed, so many variables!...........1psi can change my car from oversteer to understeer biased on track

Regarding wet grip, I just like that the Yoko's stays progressive and predictable

On 4/4/2018 at 18:20, nissanman312 said:

Did you get your BOOST yet ?

Yep, picked the car up a few weeks ago. :)

On 4/5/2018 at 21:22, 350Butcher said:

Regarding wet grip, I just like that the Yoko's stays progressive and predictable

A lot of people think the Yokos have terrible wet grip due to the reviews. I find the grip in the wet is very good and as you say, progressive and predictable, even around Brands Hatch in a mid-rear car on a rainy December days in the rain after they've gritted half of the track! Possibly the reviews say the wet grip is bad as it's a lot worse than their excellent dry grip rather than being bad compared to other tyres in the same situation?

• 4 weeks later...

Just the thread I was looking for! Thanks for the review. I'll be in the market for some new rubber soon. I had to scrimp a bit when I first got the car and had some new tyres, but I've very much been looking forward to replacing the ditch-finders.

Thanks again.

P.S. I don't suppose anybody has experience with Michelin's Primacy 4s?

Edited by RavenDW

I’ve tried them on an MR2, they’d be fine for something like a Mondeo or Corsa but not really for a sports car.

BTW to update this thread my daily now has MPS4 on so I should be able to give a long term view in a month or so.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 08/05/2018 at 20:22, Ekona said:

I’ve tried them on an MR2, they’d be fine for something like a Mondeo or Corsa but not really for a sports car.

BTW to update this thread my daily now has MPS4 on so I should be able to give a long term view in a month or so.

Hey Ekona, how about that long term review on the MPS4?  My glamour girl needs new boots for winter. 

They’re f*cking awesome. 

:lol: 

In all seriousness though, I have nothing negative to say about them. They’ve improved on the one area the MPSS weren’t great at (road noise), and are at least if not more the equal in all other areas. Wear and tear I can’t tell yet as I’ve not done enough miles, but that’s probably a positive thing if I can’t even see any wear yet! If you’re running 18” wheels and need a tyre to put on them, you’d be mad to consider anything else tbh. 

• Like 1

Having just done a couple of thousand miles and two trackdays on MPS4 I found they are pretty astonishing for wet grip but not as resilient as the MPSS, I got some light melting at Spa in the wet which is a bit concerning. 
MPS4S still arent available in 18 in UK :(

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I've finally just about killed off the rear MPS4 tyres that I fitted to my MX5 back in April 2018, so it would be reasonable enough of me to give an update to this thread. In short, my opinion of them has gone up if anything, however I will comment on a couple of things:

- Wear rate. In just under two years I've done 21000 miles on these tyres, and they're only just hitting the wear markers on the rears, whilst the fronts have about half their life left. That's utterly ridiculous tbh, I've never had a performance tyre come anywhere close to those levels of wear whilst staying consistent throughout. In terms of VFM, I struggle think of any other tyre that comes close to this, and whilst my usage of the car has gone from 50/50 commute/fun to about 70/30 I still think that's outstanding. When I say I have fun I mean I have fun, so rest assured they don't get grannied at all. Very, very impressive stuff.

- Tyre pressures. They seem quite sensitive to pressure, more so than the MPSS, in the sense that if your pressures are not correct they can feel a bit lacking in grip in the wet. Dry isn't an issue that I ever noticed, and maybe this is only as they come to the end of their life, but in the moist if your pressures are a couple of psi or more off from what you would normally run then they can feel a bit skittish. Pop the pressures back up though and the grip (and feel) come straight back. Not a negative so much as worth remembering.

- Temps slightly above freezing. I've mentioned this in another thread before, but there has been a couple of occasions where the car has felt a bit floaty in temps from 3-5c. I've only had it a couple of times, and in fairness it was on the same road (my daily commute) so perhaps it could be that, but it was a bit odd from a tyre that's otherwise been flawless. I still had grip and plenty of it, but the feel disappeared. Seemed to be fine when it colder and fine when it was warmer, and it certainly didn't happen every time, but it's a fair thing to mention in balance.

Still my recommended tyre of choice if you can't get MPS4S? You bet. I've ordered another couple of rears today, and looking at the fronts I reckon it won't be until 2022 that I'll need to change them again. I do have a trackday coming up this year to try them out on so I'll give a further update then, but suffice to say I wouldn't look anywhere else for a quality set of tyres right now. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...