Soon to be 350Z owner -

Neil_87

Hello, 

I am looking to purchase a 350Z this weekend after much deliberation over a new car (new to me). 

I am quite confused though by the information i have found online and the information supplied by various dealers and private sellers, i am hoping you guys could clarify. 

My main piece of confusion is model differences;

Ideally i would buy and have seen a 2007 > model, with the HR Engine as apparently it is better in many ways (so i read) But several cars for sale do not have the bonnet bulge to show the revised engine inside, sadly there are no Engine bay pictures. Is it right the engine looks different from the DE? Something to do with a double intake? 

Am i wrong and it is not 2007 as i have read?

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/350z/nissan-350-z-v6-sports-3-5-manual-petrol/7642553 - 2007 but seems to not have the new Engine?

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/350z/nissan-350z-gt-3-5-2dr-manual-petrol-coupe/7379123 - What would this import have? 

Thanks

Neil

Edited by Neil_87

That clears that one up easily then, strange how every source online i have looked at stated the HR Engine starts in 2007 onward. That's what i get i suppose for looking at American sources   :lol:

What are the opinions on others on the import above as I've also read about the "rev up" engine which was a revised DE fitted from 2005?

I wouldn't consider the about 2007 now as it was the Engine i wanted it for :/

Don’t buy from Junction 17 unless you’re prepared for a fight and are comfortable using the English legal system.

Revup is a good engine, 500 more revs than the regular DE which makes it more fun, however approx 5-10% of those engines have serious oil drinking issues. Your call on the risk there.

Cheers Dan and ZMAN, i read a lot of the reviews for J17 and found most of the negatives were for the Nottingham branch, i am now obviously concerned though. 

Could anyone recommend better alternatives, i am based in Hertfordshire so would need to be within a few hours drive ideally. 

You really should be prepared to travel the length and the breadth of the UK to source a proper car.

Other forum members are usually always happy to carry out an initial inspection on potential cars in various parts of the UK before you jump on that £29.99 Easy Jet flight.

Cars can be registered in 2007 but were cars that were the last of the revup cars just sat in warehouses waiting to go out. So you will see occasionally that oddity occur. As above, its very easy to spot an HR - dual intakes is the best way (beware bonnet bulges as many owners swap out the old one for a bonnet bulge for aesthetic reasons). Just lift the bonnet and the answer is bang in front of you.

Just avoid Junction 17 altogether, if anything goes wrong they will break every law in the land to fob you off, its just not worth it there are so many other zeds available at better prices in better condition. 

The few pointers I got given for looking was like Alex said make sure you have the double intakes for the HR engine. Check the rear arches for rust, if you can look under the car I would look at the W brace on the rear (Big chunk of metal that goes from left to right on the underside of the car shaped like a W gives the car rigidity) Since when I bought mine my one was made of rust and I had to have a new one fitted not too long into fitting it. Ive also heard people say listen for a metallic rattle when the car starts which i believe is related to the chain.

Other than those all I can say is make sure its the car you want :) Take the extra bit of time and look around. Do you want one with the GT pack so its got the leather seats and the big Bose sub, some had satnav installed. The colour of the exterior and the colour of the interior together. I love my Zed to death but I really wish I had known about my W brace being buggered, I would have still bought the car I think would have just haggled the guy down a good bit more xD.

But regardless of everything I hope you find the Zed thats right for you :D 

I wouldn’t trust any of their branches full stop.

Although tbh any dealer you buy from will give a certain amount of risk. It’s all about doing your homework on the car, checking everything is right before you make the deal and even more so upon collection, then contacting them immediately if you spot a problem. When spending £10K on something I wouldn’t have an issue driving to Scotland, if it was the right car. £100 in fuel is nothing at that point :) 

Wow, amazing responses guys. Whilst i was googling i saw someone write this was one of the most helpful and freindly forums around, it seems they were right!

I will make sure i check all of the above upon purchase and as said its easy to check for the right Engine. 

I am thinking i will cancel my appointment with J17 cars now. 

I do want the GT pack as i want the leather seats and the extras that also come with, my other criteria is blue. I will do some more searching. 

40 minutes ago, Neil_87 said:

Haha, thanks mate but I have my heart set on a blue one.

Just to let you know I think (could be wrong) The HR only came in the midnight blue the darker one and not the Azure blue which i think was just for the DE era cars. Could be wrong but im pretty sure thats the case. I spent ages looking for an Azure blue HR xD

Yea I've seen much better photos, seen a lovely later model in the dark blue with low mileage. Literally perfect, but it has white seats..... which I just don't think i like/want....

I know it seems silly to not buy a car based on the seat colour.