Car refusing to start

Declangibbs

Hi my car today has decided it no longer wants to start. 

When I turn the key all the electrics come on and fans. But when I turn to crank it over nothing happens, I get a squeak and that's it.

battery should be all fine, nothing disconnected. 

Any ideas? I'm thinking possible starter motor failure but i can't even hear the fuel pump prime when I click it on the second turn on the key.

thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

Could I be suffering a similar problem maybe? The car starts fine for the most part, everything turns on fuel pump primes but very occasionally it really struggles to crank. It seems like the battery is low but the in car gauge says its fine. Theres no specific leadup to it sometimes its after its sat overnight sometimes its after its been on for an hour or so then off for 10 minutes then back on. Just a little confusing and worrying as if it wont start i could end up stuck.

1 - Check the battery connections, looking for security/ corrosion. Positive and earth.

2 -  Check the voltage at the starter motor solenoid when staring the car. Should be 12v. If no voltage present you have a wiring / ignition switch issue. If you are getting 12v to the starter but it's not engaging then likely it is buggered.

3 -  Check the clutch pedal switch.

4 -  Give up  and get a sparky to look at it.:)

I get the feeing it's the battery connections though.

All the best dude.

Going to have another look at it later today.

would it be battery connections if I'm still getting all electrics?

i have found my original key, gonna try that.

if that fails I'm then going to try bypassing the clutch switch.

switch seems okay, when I press it in the car still doesn't start though. Is it possible for the switch to just fail? 

On 01/10/2017 at 11:45, Declangibbs said:

would it be battery connections if I'm still getting all electrics?

I was getting that, then the demand on the electrical system took it's toll. Your case maybe very different, some methodical, basic electrical tests should point you in the direction of the fault.

21 hours ago, mr v6 said:

I was getting that, then the demand on the electrical system took it's toll. Your case maybe very different, some methodical, basic electrical tests should point you in the direction of the fault.

Where did you find your problem?

just tried bypassing the clutch position sensor and didn't fix the issue. Ordered a new one anyways.

Had a read at your posts and it sound exactly like what I had and I just had to get a new battery that worked. I actually ended up with the £95 one from halfords after 2 others wouldn't work.  

2 hours ago, Declangibbs said:

Where did you find your problem?

just tried bypassing the clutch position sensor and didn't fix the issue. Ordered a new one anyways.

The battery positive connection was loose.