Toyota supra

88 Zed

I'd like to know how compatible the different engines, gearboxes and chassis are.

if I bought an automatic non turbo for a few grand then later on source the twin turbo engine and a manual gearbox, would it be a relatively simple job?

Ive always wanted a supra and I've noticed the prices are shooting up, probably due to the fact that they will soon be exportable to the US and worth a lot more. 

would it be advisable to just buy one with the manual box and 2jz GTE or find a cheap rust free N/A auto and upgrade as and when I find the parts?

Also is there a difference between the 2jz GTE in the supra and the Toyota aristo?

USA already has Supras, the price increase isnt due to them becoming eligible to import to the USA like the GTR is, the price oncrease is across the board with the majority of the 'Legendary' JDM cars.

If you buy an NA car, just NA-T its much easier and cheaper and you an get decent power out of them also. The gearbox is where the money is, I sold mine second hand with 161K miles on it for £3K. The price of engines is starting to go up also due to the 2J being a popular swap these days.

You could always use a Z gearbox, adaptor kits with clutch and flywheel are around £1500.

2J in the Supra and Aristo are the same, I think all aristo's are VVTI though :)

34 minutes ago, Ian said:

USA already has Supras, the price increase isnt due to them becoming eligible to import to the USA like the GTR is, the price oncrease is across the board with the majority of the 'Legendary' JDM cars.

If you buy an NA car, just NA-T its much easier and cheaper and you an get decent power out of them also. The gearbox is where the money is, I sold mine second hand with 161K miles on it for £3K. The price of engines is starting to go up also due to the 2J being a popular swap these days.

You could always use a Z gearbox, adaptor kits with clutch and flywheel are around £1500.

2J in the Supra and Aristo are the same, I think all aristo's are VVTI though :)

Do the N/A engines require more strengthening ? They are a shorter bore stroke as well aren't they?

What are the gearboxes in them like compared to the Zeds?

I don't mind the work involved in swapping stuff over, in fact I'd prefere to build it myself if I'm honest!

im just worried the window for me affording one is getting smaller, especially with the way the government is going on its "emissions war"

By the time you have spent the money you may as well buy a turbo kit or better still LS Swap it, easy DIY with this kit

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/brands/sikky-manufacturing-uk-store/sikky-nissan-350z-z33-lsx-swap-kit-stage-1.html

I have a twin turbo supra but by no means and expert, but I can tell you everything is expensive and most things are getting discontinued now so prices are rising even more.

4 hours ago, Tarmac@TarmacSportz said:

By the time you have spent the money you may as well buy a turbo kit or better still LS Swap it, easy DIY with this kit

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/brands/sikky-manufacturing-uk-store/sikky-nissan-350z-z33-lsx-swap-kit-stage-1.html

I have a twin turbo supra but by no means and expert, but I can tell you everything is expensive and most things are getting discontinued now so prices are rising even more.

This is true but there is something about the 2JZ supras that keeps bringing me back to autotrader and the forums! 

I cant help it!

12 hours ago, 88 Zed said:

This is true but there is something about the 2JZ supras that keeps bringing me back to autotrader and the forums! 

I cant help it!

They are awesome, but the money you would put into a zed you may as well just buy a Supra while they are still affordable-ish, would be a lot smarter way to spend the cash as the Supra value is going one way (up) and a 350z with a 2jz engine would go the other way. I've seen a few 2JZ builds and people have either given up or lost the love when they hit about 20k worth of spends.. 

Having said that if its your passion and money then go for it, the 2JZ world doesn't seem a hive of activity judging by the forums and facebook pages i'm on though 

3 hours ago, Tarmac@TarmacSportz said:

They are awesome, but the money you would put into a zed you may as well just buy a Supra while they are still affordable-ish, would be a lot smarter way to spend the cash as the Supra value is going one way (up) and a 350z with a 2jz engine would go the other way. I've seen a few 2JZ builds and people have either given up or lost the love when they hit about 20k worth of spends.. 

Having said that if its your passion and money then go for it, the 2JZ world doesn't seem a hive of activity judging by the forums and facebook pages i'm on though 

He's not swapping it into a z ;)

thats reserved for idiots like me :lol::ninja: 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ian said:

He's not swapping it into a z ;)

thats reserved for idiots like me :lol::ninja: 

Ahh- sorry should have read it more thoroughly

OP - You can get a NA Turbo for about £9k, Personally I think the TT Auto's are a better option for similar money

There are some bargains still to be had, I got a good deal on a pretty rare Auto TT with aero top in baltic blue, just needs a few quid and some elbow grease spending on it to make it mint again

24 minutes ago, Ekona said:

*and a manual gearbox. If you leave that thing as an auto, I shall have to disown you! :p:lol:

I prefer it as auto, i'm not a sheep :p

Manual gear boxes are over rated, 

I did consider this but when I added up everything I needed to do it and it was over £12k I decided against it lol

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/garage-whifbitz-flappy-paddle-kit.html

6 hours ago, Tarmac@TarmacSportz said:

Ahh- sorry should have read it more thoroughly

OP - You can get a NA Turbo for about £9k, Personally I think the TT Auto's are a better option for similar money

There are some bargains still to be had, I got a good deal on a pretty rare Auto TT with aero top in baltic blue, just needs a few quid and some elbow grease spending on it to make it mint again

I've never been a fan of the TTs, or automatics to be honest!

And yes I've seen a few N/A turbo conversions buttttt this leads to my origional question........Are N/A engines the same as the GTEs? apart from the obvious.

13 hours ago, 88 Zed said:

I've never been a fan of the TTs, or automatics to be honest!

And yes I've seen a few N/A turbo conversions buttttt this leads to my origional question........Are N/A engines the same as the GTEs? apart from the obvious.

Short answer.... no

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?63029-Internal-differenses-2JZ-turbo-and-2JZ-non-turbo