Backbox internals

coyoteboy

Cracked open a stock backbox this afternoon, been meaning to do it for a while after I saw a US guy had done it but his photos were on photobucket and have been culled.

Here you can see the gas path of one half of the backbox...

It flows in bottom right (hole facing the camera, partially hidden) and through the "mesh" separator, then out of the pipe on the left. The small right hand pipe is a resonator into a separate side pocket. The opposite is the direct mirror of it.

No packing material was in there.

IMAG0571.jpg

There's no way of it going straight out, it has to go through the mesh wall and contort around several shapes - it's a contorted route because it's not fed through a tubular path, but yes - capping some chambers will reduce the attenuation at specific ranges. 

Edited by coyoteboy

• 4 months later...

No, I have the parts sat in my garage but I've not had chance to cut and weld yet. I've not forgotten though, so I'll update when I do it. I think what I'll do, for clean flow, is divert the two routes across each other, rather than try to curl round 90 in a short space.

Edited by coyoteboy

• 5 months later...