What would you choose.

Jetpilot

So its looks like the Vx220 might have to go to fund the finishing of my house build, i really dont want to get rid but i am speculating to accumulate and will be in a better financial position once the house is finished. I will be sad to see it go, its a mental car, but, i can always buy another next year or hopefully up the budget, so with that in mind and pending on budget available i have been thinking of a few choices/options, so between the 2 given, what would you go for?

Ultima GTR

Nissan GTR

Supecharged E92

A45 Amg

Edited by Jetpilot

Supecharged or supercharged...? ;) 

I jest, I'll play properly now. I wouldn't buy an Ultima, as you'll likely grow hateful of it in anything other than perfect weather on track. I wouldn't buy the A45 as it's just a tarted up A class (sorry Colin!). GT-R I can see the attraction if you like them, so maybe one of those although I suspect it'll get pricey to run. SC'd E92 is probably my pick out of those, however I suspect it'll feel very bland coming after the VX. But then, most things will I guess.

C63 not an option? The older one with the actual 6.3, one of the finest engines ever made and likely never to be seen again? Or a Maser GT, that high-revving V8 is absolutely gorgeous and it's a proper stunning car to look at too.

Yeah, it has been great to have owned the Vx and on the most part anything will feel a little numb in comparison, hence the Ultima, i appreciate the downsides however, but you cant have your cake and eat it which is extended to the GTR, if used in anger on track, it is going to get pricey, will have do some figures based on intended mileage/usage, would welcome some views/costs besides normal servicing from gtr owners here.

I really like c63's, but, i just dont think its going to float my boat on the track, which ideally is where the bias is towards.

Ah, gotcha. Makes more sense now! :lol: So something track-happy, not Elise-based, and covered so no Caterhams (last one is my assumption). Budget £40k? I'm honestly a bit stuck tbh.

You're close to R8 territory, y'know. They've gotta be worth looking at.

I nearly said Evora too, good shout Col.

Tbh I think you'll have to go with your gut on this one, but if pushed I'd say the E92. I think the Ultima is just too quick for trackdays (and then there's possible reliability issues that come with buying a kitcar), and the GT-R and the A45 are just going to be too dull on track as you'll have bags and bags of grip. At least the E92 will test you.

The budget choices are both very different i appreciate that, i personally dont think a Gtr would be dull on track and whilst the Ultima will be very quick i would prefer to have more than less and enjoy the challenge. The only thing that puts me off with the A45 (never driven one) is apparently they are not very happy when pushed beyond the limit being front wheel drive biased. 

M3 is a solid choice and probably the most sensible option, need to do a bit of research with regards to reliability of being charged :)

I just find 4WD stuff a bit boring on track tbh, so that may be my prejudice. Just loads and loads and loads of grip isn't really challenging, it's like driving FWD but quicker. I'd rather have something a bit of a handful than something really competent, like an overpowered VX ;) A45 is going to hate the track, plus the higher CoG is going to make for something more unstable than your other choices I think.

Could always buy a non-charged M3, live with it to see if you like it then charge it yourself? 

6 hours ago, Ekona said:

I just find 4WD stuff a bit boring on track tbh, so that may be my prejudice. Just loads and loads and loads of grip isn't really challenging, it's like driving FWD but quicker. I'd rather have something a bit of a handful than something really competent, like an overpowered VX ;) A45 is going to hate the track, plus the higher CoG is going to make for something more unstable than your other choices I think.

Could always buy a non-charged M3, live with it to see if you like it then charge it yourself? 

You would be surprised about the Vx, its not a handful at all, the power delivery is so smooth, not at all overwhelming.

18 minutes ago, AMT said:

Don't get an A45...horrid looking things...  (thats all ive got ...sorry lol)

I think its safe to say none of my choices are lookers, although i know you post a lot about "visuals", but i own a Vx220 i think that tells you all you need to know :)

Edited by Jetpilot

I meant the car overall, mine was turbo so a more aggressive delivery sure, but I've driven sc'd Eliges and they can still bite if you're not careful: Certainly you need sonme modulation of the right foot. 4wd stuff just isn't as scary, it'll either grip or understeer unless you're being deliberately cackhanded in the search for fun. 

I say this as somebody who loves Zs, owned three in succession and would happily own another one if they ever properly update the platform. In every way I can think - performance, interior, handling, the A45 AMG is streets ahead of my 370Z Nismo.  The Z had more character and sounded better (but only once I'd blown nearly £2k on mods), but that's it. 

Don't think it would be a great track car, but for road use I'm having much more fun with it than I ever had in the Z because of how you can drive it on twisty British B roads.  It would obviously be a big difference to your VX though.  It's not a raw car under normal conditions, but it's very adjustable - stick it in Sport or Sport+ and it becomes a whole lot of fun.

Looks are a very subjective thing.  Personally I think the A45 is the best looking "hot hatch" out there and (sorry) looks a lot better than the 350Z which is now starting to look very dated.  The 370 is wearing its age really well though and is still a great looking car.

If you've got £40k to spend you'd be looking at a well optioned facelift A45, which is exactly what I got.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the car.   

Edited by sipar69

You put the '45 on the list, so guess that ticks some boxes, but you have never driven one which I suggest you do (dry and wet ideally) and that is where you find its credentials.  Have done a fair few hoons with fellow petrolheads and it more than holds its own on the B roads. ;)

Always amuses me those who dismiss cars they have never driven, often simply because they are put off by looks........

No idea what it would drive like on track, other than it did its very best to stop me drifing on the MB World Brooklands skid pan :lol:

• Like 2

I would get the Ultima because it'll be the most fun when it works :)

Any of the others could be used as a daily driver which either appeals or doesn't to you as a second car.

Second choice for me would be the BMW as i prefer RWD

• Like 1