On the hunt, first time 350Z buyer... help!

Hello All,

I am literally spending this weekend driving round looking for a 350Z to swap with my 64 plate 3 series with cash my way.

I'm wanting to spend about 4-6k on the vehicle. Ive always wanted one but now I am doing less mileage I'm going to treat myself.

Few questions and tips I would love to have feedback on.

- what should I be looking out for? what are major signs of a bad 350Z (first timer)

- Is there much of an issue with having an import? whats pos and negs?

- Am I being realistic spending 4-6k on a decent 350z?

- Any issues with auto compared to manual

- Avoid cars with crazy mods?

- Any good tips?

- Whats so good about the 350Z

- Whats bad points as well.

I guess there are probably other topics on the above, if I could be pointed that way that would be great.

Also, if people would be willing to show photos of their cars that would also be great.

I'm going to be spending all of tonight ensuring I know as much as possible before going out all weekend looking for one!

Me- 23, own house, motorbike, car - soon to be 350z, I play football, golf and love riding my motorbike.

ps. can you fit golf clubs in the back?

Thanks

Kieran

Thanks for the info / feedback guys!

I took your advice and have held fire on the part exchange and have sold the car privately so I'm looking for a 350z with cash now.

I think I'm going to go for the lower tax band Zed - anyone recommend not to? 

Just browsing at the moment for the right one and would prefer a car through this forum rather than trolling through autotrader.

thanks again!

To be completely frank, do not whatever you do buy a Zed based on the annual taxation cost. Buy the best car you can for the money. The extra annual tax is something like £250 per year, or 20 quid a month, or around a fifth of a tank of petrol. Buy the best car you can for the money you have available. You could go buy a lower tax band car over a higher one and the clutch goes, that a grand straight out the window and suddenly that tax saving seems irrelevant. 

A well looked after 03'-05' spec car is a better buy than a ropey 06' on version. For your budget, your money will buy a nice early spec car with the lower tax per year. Visually the best features of the facelift model can be fitted to the earlier spec cars anyways.

Im very happy paying less for road tax than I do for insurance, good luck with the hunt.

Edited by davey_83

As above, buy the best car you can get for your money. I have never understood why someone investing thousands in to a car, which you will put thousands of pounds of fuel into, probably spend thousands of pounds in mods on, hundreds on tyres so on and so forth would deliberately buy one car over another because you save 250 quid. Just no sense in that logic at all. Sure buy a low tax one because its in better condition, but as above, buy the best car for your money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

A well looked after 03'-05' spec car is a better buy than a ropey 06' on version. For your budget, your money will buy a nice early spec car with the lower tax per year. Visually the best features of the facelift model can be fitted to the earlier spec cars anyways.

Im very happy paying less for road tax than I do for insurance, good luck with the hunt.

Oh I agree ;)

Exactly what I did, retrofitted facelift parts and sorted out all known mechanical and dynamic related issues.

Joking about the lights aside (that's what it was) buy on condition as others have said.

If looked after even mileage isn't really an issue on a Z.

Personally, I went for a pre tax increase model. Purely because of the limited mileage I do.   I agree if you are using it every day then the difference is minimal and you should just go for the best example regardless of tax.

My zed is a weekend car (occasional weekend car at that) so I wanted to save a few hundred Pounds a year.

Have a look at the for sale section on here there's some lovely motors gone in recently.   Some members have upgraded their DE with face-lift lights, bonnet etc. So they may be a great compromise if one catches your eye.

All varients of the 350z whether that be preface, revup or facelift have there known issues so buyer caution is advised, you're in the right place to find out there niggles! 

Personally, Id wait it out and buy the HR which is the facelift model. This comes with all the new tweaky bits that youll probably spend a good £1000 upwards when retro fitting to a preface model. As Davey says they are all interchangeable but finding the parts is the challenge. Soon negates the tax increase as

LED rear lights £150-250

HID headlights £500-750+ 

HR Bulge bonnet £300

And thats exactly what im going thtough the motions of now. Retro fitting mine

And thats not a dig at preface cars at all, I have one! I just wish it had the better headlights etc etc. Ownership wise i really do love mine, and the people ive met on here too. Its not been withoutits problems but in the grand scheme ive got them sorted, just with extra swearing

I guess if I could give you two rules of thumb from what ive seen here for two years now is,

1) buy from one of the members on here or an enthusiast. History is documented, you have build threads and you get to learn alot more about the car before you buy. Its a greater reassurance that its not been thrashed on low oil!

2) Check insurance! Insurance is only going up for these from my experience, with many of the named modified brokers asking for a minimum of a years RWD experience before they'll even quote you. Elephant were good for me in my first year but then the car was standard. Not so much now! Im 25 so can say this as been a slight bug bare despite having 6 years NCB

20170826_195347.thumb.jpg.0b0aa3ee440cc6058d4f8b0c88bfdb84.jpg

IMG_20170816_202030_297.thumb.jpg.4c8102984156afffaab4fcc11fec75f2.jpg

Happy hunting! And welcome! 

@Ekona I will probably do max 5000 a year, but with it not being practical maybe even lower - which is what I want anyway. I fi need to invest in a heap of poop to be practical to become daily then whatever.

Thanks so much for the advice - I am looking daily at the for sales on here and I am in conversation with a  few as well.

@Olly350z that is a beauty. I really like your car!

Yes I am also speaking to insurance companies daily as I am 23 I may struggle with modifications...

Keep advice coming all, I am finding this simple thread super super useful!

p.s. please feel free to PM me with your car for sale. However my budget is around £5000 but can increase for the right car...

You may have no choice dependent on insurer, but do be aware that although many mainstream insurers will insure you with mods, they will not cover the cost of replacement should the worst happen. For example, Admiral group will let you put a nice set of wheels on, but if you find a wall jumping out at you one day then they'll only replace them with stock wheels. Unless you pay their extra premium of course...

Always worth asking whether the value of the mods is insured, and it might be worth paying more to ensure they are. :)

Ekona is right on the money there, and what he has said is very true. Im buying wheels on Sunday, if i was to loose out on them id be well in the poop street. 

Brentacre I have found to be brilliant on modifcations and we've actually agreed on a agreed valuation for mine. Unfortunately I can tell you now unless you've had at least a years experience with RWD they wont even quote you. I feel that insurance could the stumbling block for you. Not impossible though...

I use adrian flux for my insurance. Alot of companys wanted previous 1 years xp with a rear wheel drive as others have stated . I also declare my mods with them and aslong as they dont effect bhp by over 50 bhp there was no extra charge . They also do a agreed value form etc . As i was with them with my daily beater they also mirrored my no claims bonus .

Good luck car hunting!

If you are looking up to £6000, you might get a decent facelift model, but you may be safer to look at slightly older cars.

The only major difference is the lights and interior, plus you obviously have the advantage of lower tax.

SKY insurance were the best for me.

• Thanks 1