New weekend car? 6-15k?

sisson18

56 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

I refuse to accept any comments regarding styling/looks from someone who "choose" to own a 350z convertible and ones current car looks like a sad pikachu pokemon and then to top it off decided to change its colour to that of a traffic cone :teeth:

I only get to make Lego jokes as I used to have one :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jetpilot said:

I refuse to accept any comments regarding styling/looks from someone who "choose" to own a 350z convertible and ones current car looks like a sad pikachu pokemon and then to top it off decided to change its colour to that of a traffic cone :teeth:

Harsh but fair.

Has to be said. The VX220 is an awesome car. I can remember when i had my Celica GT4 -which was modded down to the wheel nuts, and was rapid to say the least- i came across a VX220 in Black. Firstly, it looked like a symphony of evil, secondly, it left me standing with my foot to the floor trying to keep up with it. Didn't even get near, absolutely untouchable. Cornered like a house fly . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Flex said:

Never heard that used before, cornered like a house fly.

But it did though!! Before i even made a gear change it was already down the road, over the hill, round the bends, past the church, under the bridge, round the lake, through the tunnel and probably parked up at home. 

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2017 at 08:20, Rock_Steady said:

But it did though!! Before i even made a gear change it was already down the road, over the hill, round the bends, past the church, under the bridge, round the lake, through the tunnel and probably parked up at home. 

Is it going to break down all the time though.

Most likely not - it runs on good old fashioned tried and tested Vauxhall parts, the 2.2l engines are solid as a rock and as the car is lightweight it puts so much less strain on the components compared to a something like a lardy 350z. Honestly, so many people have little or no knowledge of these cars and have some very fluffy pre-dispositions to them but they are quite simply one of the best road legal driving experiences you can get for the money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Most likely not - it runs on good old fashioned tried and tested Vauxhall parts, the 2.2l engines are solid as a rock and as the car is lightweight it puts so much less strain on the components compared to a something like a lardy 350z. Honestly, so many people have little or no knowledge of these cars and have some very fluffy pre-dispositions to them but they are quite simply one of the best road legal driving experiences you can get for the money. 

You're not giving the 350z a good write-up!

• Like 1

Ha! Its a different car, the 350z is a comfortable GT car that does a little bit of sport, the VX220 is a lightweight performance car which munches up B roads and is a weapon on the track, but can just about be tolerated on long distance trips on motorways :lol: 

3 hours ago, sisson18 said:

Is it going to break down all the time though.

Mine hasnt missed a beat, ok its running a forged engine but that wont really help with reliability and you are pretty much using the same ancillaries as stock. I regularly (not so much this year) drive over 2 hours to a track day, drive round all day, drive 2 hours home, ok i am pretty wiped out but its perfectly do able.

I think the guys on vx220 are suggesting that its not a nice comfy tin top like the 350z, a fezz heater is a great upgrade and works a treat, i think i have only had need for the roof once during a heavy shower (didnt leak), but it spends 99% of the time folded away in the boot.

If you want a weekend car and an awesome driving experience it cant be beat, that to me is what a weekend car is all about.

P.s I wouldnt pay too much attention to the owners from vx220, whilst they may be very knowledgeable about the car, their opinions on other vehicles are formed from opinion only, there are quite a few owners on here who have owned both so have first hand experience so can offer real world facts/experience, not just what is perceived in their mind, an opening quote to my introduction (mentioning 350z) on there was, you might struggle with a "real mans car", that told me all i needed to know about the type of members involved.

Edited by Jetpilot

On 04/09/2017 at 11:48, Ekona said:

For me, I'd get an Elise or VX220 too. Nothing comes close, and although the straight line figures will tell you one story I can promise you that even a basic Elise will be easy as quick as a 350Z, if not quicker. It'll be a damn sight more involving too.

Other than that I'd be looking at an S2K, or a decent Impreza STi. The latter is far more fun than you think, and if you get one in the right spec it feels special enough to be a weekend car. Put it this way, we've got a hoon planned for October and I'm taking our Scoob instead of the BMW.

I'd also give serious consideration to a Boxster, get one at £7K and pocket the rest in case you need to sort the engine. More usable than the Elise, more special than a 350Z, and a flat six engine howling is a thing of great joy. :)

Find me an original Elise that runs 13.7 1/4s 

Well if you are talking about reliability and cost, Cayman I am not so sure is the way forwards. A GT86 in decent condition is still knocking around the £12k-£13k mark I think last time I checked, not sure you are getting a supercharger purchase and install for £2k? (Not that I have checked). Point to point a VX/Elise will drive away from a 350z on fun roads, its not really a contest, sure standing quarter mile 350z runs quick but the guy is looking for a weekend car, not a drag strip runner (from what I can see?).

1 hour ago, StevoD said:

Find me an original Elise that runs 13.7 1/4s 

although the straight line figures will tell you one story I can promise you that even a basic Elise will be easy as quick as a 350Z, if not quicker. It'll be a damn sight more involving too.

Straight line runs are the least interesting way of judging cars. UK roads with like for like capable drivers, an Elise will be much quicker point to point than a 350. Only thing that would be quicker would be an Evo I reckon.

Anything fancier (Ferrari, Lambo etc) and you wouldn't drive with as much purpose as it'd be too wide for some B-roads and a bit pricier to fix. Even the current 911 is too wide, else I'd probably add the Turbo to the Evo. Still wouldn't drive as well as the Elise.

Why would you want to compare a series 1 Elise against a 350z? It was designed and built more than half a decade before the 350z came along. Unless of course you bring along the Elise 350R which was blindingly fast. The series 2 at least is built in the same era and as above a 2005 version goes quicker than a 350z - of course introduce corners and it goes even quicker ;)

13 hours ago, StevoD said:

is the original a 2005?

Apologies, i presumed you meant original as in umodified, not S1 specfic, but regardless an 05 is in budget just and i dont believe the conversation was limited to just Series 1 Elises:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/elise-s2/2005-lotus-elise-111r-in-ardent-red/7603443

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/elise-s2/lotus-elise-111s-2005/7109893

or a Series1 with a K20 engine will do the quarter in a better time than a 350z, so either way, yes an Elise will do the quarter in 13.7 or better!

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1