New weekend car? 6-15k?

sisson18

Hello!

Now that my insurance costs have come down I'm tempted to purchase a new car.

However I have no problems with my current car a low mileage HR 350z.

So...

Is the 370z worth the upgrade over the HR 350z. 

I would also consider other cars such as a Nissan Skyline/Silvia but how reliable are they / are spare parts easy enough to find?

Any other suggestions? 

26 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Personally no, I wouldn't get a 370 when you've got a HR. So what are the must haves/have nots of a new car? Give us some more detail and we can make some suggestions, before I reel of a list of cars you have no interest in. :)

Petrol obv.

2L+

RWD or AWD.

Quicker than a 350z HR or a lot better handling (260-450hp???). 

Will only be used at weekends but needs to be reliable.

Can’t be black as it’s a pain to clean.

Japanese preferably.

Edited by sisson18

12 minutes ago, coldel said:

Supercharged VX220 can be had for circa £12k ;) point to point faster than 99% of any other car you are likely to meet on the road on most weekends.

Good call, but not sure if I can bring myself to buy a "vauxhall". 

• Haha 1

For me, I'd get an Elise or VX220 too. Nothing comes close, and although the straight line figures will tell you one story I can promise you that even a basic Elise will be easy as quick as a 350Z, if not quicker. It'll be a damn sight more involving too.

Other than that I'd be looking at an S2K, or a decent Impreza STi. The latter is far more fun than you think, and if you get one in the right spec it feels special enough to be a weekend car. Put it this way, we've got a hoon planned for October and I'm taking our Scoob instead of the BMW.

I'd also give serious consideration to a Boxster, get one at £7K and pocket the rest in case you need to sort the engine. More usable than the Elise, more special than a 350Z, and a flat six engine howling is a thing of great joy. :)

This is too easy, Elise all day long. K series Elise runs out of puff at 100mph+ but it will be quicker then a 350z up to that and stop even quicker. 

Cheap to run, cheap to maintain and after a couple years you'll get your money back. 

1 hour ago, sisson18 said:

Thanks guys! De-badged Vauxhall it is / I'll check insurance.

Every time you 'load' yourself into the cockpit of one of these cars and go out and feel like you are driving an F1 car you won't give two hoots what badge is on it, could have Lada on it for all I cared it still is the best drivers car I have ever been in, even driving it down the M4 from Cheltenham when I bought mine it was exhilarating. 

I'm not a fan of the 370z although I do like the nismo. It's not a big enough leap forward from the HR and to me it's not as pretty. 

I love boxsters and caymans but I wouldn't buy one in that price range. If you did, I think you'd find yourself using your z less and less. 

Personally id id take the 15k and your HR, and get a later Cayman or boxster. I don't think they will depreciate much either due to the awful 4 pots in the new cars. 

Im considering trading my XC60 D5 polestar and my Z for a f80 M3. 

I think i may have just replied to a post you made on the Vx forum.

My Vx is cheaper to insure than my supercharged 350z and about the same as my std 350z, try REIS, they are awesome.

As for badges, trust me, i have not found anything on track that can live with it,be proud to wear the Vauxhall badge, only upsets them more when you come past, especially Elise owners ;)

VX220 3m 1.JPG

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jetpilot said:

I think i may have just replied to a post you made on the Vx forum.

My Vx is cheaper to insure than my supercharged 350z and about the same as my std 350z, try REIS, they are awesome.

As for badges, trust me, i have not found anything on track that can live with it,be proud to wear the Vauxhall badge, only upsets them more when you come past, especially Elise owners ;)

VX220 3m 1.JPG

That looks mean 

Would I fit in one at 6ft  od and 17 stone