First proper drive!!

Philco

Hi all.

Just thought I'd let you know how my first proper drive went.

Coming from a evo1 and E36 M3  it was always going to be hard to choose my next proper performance car.

I was really focused on the E46 M3 for a long time and test drive quite a few (no coupes) and was disappointed. (I know strange) so turned my focus to the boxer s also wasn't my cup of tea. 

Just seemed to stumble into the z tbh and loved the look of the car. So then started the mission to test drive a few, Seen quite a few dogs tbf but got a good feel for the z.  Then came across a beauty! Mint condition, low owner, low miles 60,000 FSH owned by an older 60+ chap who polished it more than he drove it.

4k In the last 4years.

So after the test drive ( I new I wanted it before tbh) I didn't even haggle (much) so came to a deal shook hands and drove it home. Very sensibility.

Parked it in the garage for a week, itching to drive it.... in the meantime I taxed and insured it.

TAX £500 Insurance £430 (Tesco) 

So today was the day I got to drive the car for the first time...... And what a car!

I live in south Wales lots of good roads for driving, so drove from Newport to the Brecon beacons lovely drive up with some nice Twisties on the way... was looking to go over the black mountain pass. As seen on top gear. Used to take the m3 up every now and then, but it was closed off, due to a fatality.Rip. Dont know what happened but got turned around by the police just after brecon. 

So drove back through abergavenny again nice Twisties on the way back but took it easy. 

The car itself drives fantastic, smooth well balanced great power delivery and an awesome cruiser, for a rag top it is pretty quite too. Had the roof down for a short time surprisingly not that windy. Very good aerodynamics. 

So all in all I was out for about 2 and half hrs totaling 130 miles. The car returned pretty good fuel economy too.

(27mpg) 

So for my first proper drive I would give the car a solid 9/10 it would be 10/10 if it wasn't for first gear. It just doesn't feel as connected to the car. I know that sounds a bit wierd but it's the only fault I could mention.

What a car. I now have to wash it again tomorrow due to bug splatter!! 

It's a hard life ha.

I'm off to Monaco on the 17th this month, driving I'm 100% sure I've choose the right car for the job.

Cheers guys.

Man I wish I lived somewhere with more interesting roads, there are some nice twisty ones near me but the road surface is utterly trashed, they never bothered to fix it since last winter bit of a shame really. Also if I remember right (someone feel free to correct me) First and second gear I believe supposedly have a bit of a delay on them from the factory so people like to put in a throttle controller to tweak the input (not 100% sure how they work im assuming it just tells the ECU to speed up the opening of the throttle body maybe) But some people swear they make a difference. Maybe someone who has done the mod would like to chime in :D 

Still though glad you are enjoying the Zed, also kind of makes me feel better I was looking at an M3 at the same time as i was buying my Zed but looking into it now a lot of people seem to have issues with the M3.

• Thanks 1

Morning guys,

No washing the z today (hammering down here)

I didn't take any pics of the trip out yesterday.  Should have, the there's some Fantastic views in Brecon.

I didn't even drive a boxster.  I've always wanted a Porsche and sort of new if I drove one I'd want one. (But there's so many  a on the road) don't see many z's here.  I'll get a Carrera GT . (One day)we can all dream ha. For now I wanted something a bit more of an all rounder not so focused on going fast into corners not saying you can't do that in the z. As I'm going on a euro trip it'll be a better cruiser, very comfortable to be in. I'm definitely a cab guy now more for cruising than going super fast. 

I drive a van as a daily. I also have a mk2 MR2 GT track car.

My E36 didn't skip a beat in 5 years of ownership. Neither did the evo, 3years.

Miss both those cars.

Hope I get as many trouble free years with The z. There is a slight wine/chatter on clutch release but have researched this in depth and seems the general conclusion is it's pretty normal? 

And if any of you ever fancy a good drive I'd be happy to take you through the Welsh Alps!

I've heard a few things to put me off the he E46 tbh SMG and subframe being the 2 main out falls as far as I'm aware.

You do get the feeling 1st and 2nd gears are not working at full potential.

Hope the weather's better for you guys.

The uprev sorted mine nicely, had a miltek and HFCs fitted first. Had various other bits fitted since to further improve it. Once you have purchased the uprev any future mods can be added and mapped in easily.

A mate of mine ran an E36 with no major issues but my 46 cost me an average of 400 a month to keep it on the road and it was a manual not SMG!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Philco said:

I've read a bit about uprev map..  sounds like it may be worth a look :thumbs: Did you have any other mods before the remap?? 

I had no other mods to mine apart from cosworth filters. HR engine and it made a nice difference to overall driveability. I would definitely recommend it even on a standard car 

• Thanks 1