How would you stop people parking on your drive?

HEADPHONES

1 hour ago, gsexr said:

Try and meet the owner and suggest he can pay to rent a parking space. Could be an easy earner

Yep this is the best idea so far by a mile. 

Personally I think it's a bl**dy cheek to park on/in someone else's driveway without permission or block it but some people in this world as we all know are selfish, arrogant or just plain stupid. Always best to try to sort it out first though by talking to others before resulting to anything daft which might get you in trouble. I'd rather not have a record for criminal damage myself. ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LRF4N said:

On a more serious note would the police get involved? I'm sure a word from them would have more weight than asking them not to park himself 

Or is it easy enough to put a cheap gate up?

Id probably start with a polite but firm note asking them not to park there or the police will be notified 

Not a police issue, so they won't even bother to attend I'm afraid. They will if there's criminal damage caused to a bike though...

13 hours ago, LRF4N said:

On a more serious note would the police get involved? I'm sure a word from them would have more weight than asking them not to park himself 

Or is it easy enough to put a cheap gate up?

Id probably start with a polite but firm note asking them not to park there or the police will be notified 

Police wouldn't get involved as they would have no powers to deal with it. Unfortunately for the OP it is a civil matter. Police only have powers to deal when access to the highway is blocked (ie you are parked on your drive and someone blocks you in). 

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q441.htm I would suggest reading this link before taking any action. If you move the vehicle you can find yourself liable for any damage caused plus possibly other criminal offences including taking a MV without the owner's consent. As a civil matter there are a number of steps/hoops you have to jump through before you can move it, by which time, unless it's an abandoned vehicle it will have likely have gone anyway.

You could always hope the owner isn't clued up on the law and leave a note politely saying if it continues you will report it to the police and have them recover the vehicle at the owner's cost. Stopped the issue with someone that recently took to parking their car across my garage.

So reverse this and it's a member of this forum parking his car in a space and comes out to find it keyed, tyres let down, smashed up etc with absolutely no idea what he / she did to deserve it.

Have a word with the owner, leave a note if necessary, being polite but assertive that you will not tolerate the bike being parked there in future. 

If he/she continues to park there despite you're reasonable behaviour, look towards legally making his life a misery, such as moving it onto a fineable part of the road or chaining it in.

1 hour ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

Could you put a sign up about clamping unauthorised vehicles and then call a clamping company to do it. They'd probably love the extra cash.

Not unless he's the land owner, and can set up the legal framework required.

Has your friend considered renting out the space using one of the many companies that act as agents and I guess will take action against unauthorised users to protect their 'interest" (Income).

i.e. https://www.parklet.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKEAjw87PNBRDA_rHbypeJmFkSJADRcAiv0yBehA2jED-EslhtgmCFCHHuQ5_M5FhkrNMXhPA0lhoC3gzw_wcB

Maybe there are clauses in the lease that restrict that and it is likely planning permission would be necessary, but it could be a useful earner and remove the chancers?

I feel for the OP. I have a similar problem in that due to the layout of the cul-de-sac where I live, people are continuously blocking my drive in, or even actually parking on it as they seem to not even consider that its my drive when they are visiting my neighbours. Anyone with a bit of common sense would realise, but no. Yesterday I actually had a pizza guy park in my drive blocking my car in then deliver pizza to a guy 2 doors away.

I will be block paving my drive soon, so hopefully the visual difference between my drive & my neighbours will be enough to make people realise, else I think the only other option will be some sort of bollards. If the driveway was right shape id put a 6ft wall around it and have electric gates at the front.

I think first approach is definitely a clear sign, and leave a note on the guys bike so he realises that he shouldnt be parking there. However the violence approach is very appealing - I have actually considered investing in a landrover or something so I can push/toe any culprits cars out of the way.

On 9/4/2017 at 03:04, grumpyoldjanner said:

Police wouldn't get involved as they would have no powers to deal with it. Unfortunately for the OP it is a civil matter. Police only have powers to deal when access to the highway is blocked (ie you are parked on your drive and someone blocks you in). 

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q441.htm I would suggest reading this link before taking any action. If you move the vehicle you can find yourself liable for any damage caused plus possibly other criminal offences including taking a MV without the owner's consent. As a civil matter there are a number of steps/hoops you have to jump through before you can move it, by which time, unless it's an abandoned vehicle it will have likely have gone anyway.

You could always hope the owner isn't clued up on the law and leave a note politely saying if it continues you will report it to the police and have them recover the vehicle at the owner's cost. Stopped the issue with someone that recently took to parking their car across my garage.

But you wouldn't be taking it anywhere, you'd be moving it a couple of feet. Surely there is a difference. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem at the moment but frustratingly the offender is parking right opposite my front door so if I park outside my front door then I block the road.

So they're on a public road but are restricting the use of our land.

Parking nightmares. I have my neighbour who daily parks partly across the front of my drive blocking access.

I've explained that I will either knock to ask them to move it, at 4am!  Or I will lose my patience and go 'street fighter bonus round'

RYU570.gif

Edited by Jords
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

The law states that legally you cannot park in front of someone's drive if they have a vehicle on the property.Reason being you need to be able to leave your property in an emergency.Sadly if you have no car on your property there is nothing you can do which is outrageous.I am talking from personal experience.Good luck.

Edited by Payco
  • Thanks 1