Things I don't understand

Ekona

Of which folks will claim there's many, I'm sure ;)

But specifically, drink driving. Ol' Wayne Rooney has allegedly been charged with it today, but it's not like he's the first person to ever have a few then get behind the wheel. It's one crime though I just can't fathom out why people do it. I mean, I just don't get the mindset at all. I have, in my 37 years on this planet, been in many states of inebriation: A bit giggly after a beer or two, a cheerful drunk after an afternoon session, barely able to speak my own name after seriously hitting it, and hospitalised because I'm so drunk I stopped breathing*. And yet, in none of those states have I ever thought for one second it would be a good idea to get behind the wheel. Ever. It's possily the most dangerous and stupid thing that people still do on a regular basis, and I'm utterly baffled by it. Does anyone know anyone who's been done for it, and why they did it? Or has anyone been done themselves? No judging on this one from me, if you want to share your experience I promise not to pass comment on you.

I just don't get it. I really don't.

*This night was exactly a week before my wedding, the future Mrs Ekona was not impressed :D:lol:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zeezeebaba said:

In my previous line of work it was noticeable (circa 1990s) the majority of PLOs (various other acronyms here, DIC,DUI etc) were of the older generation.

Yes there were some youngsters but in the main it was people that should have known better.

I think you're right, the younger generation (up to say 45) are less likely to drink and drive ...

Ive been at a work party ( i was 23 everyone there was 18-24 probably about 60 of us) I drove in and at no point was i even vaguely tempted to drink anything not even that "Ill have one and ill be fine" mentality. Guess I just dont like the idea of throwing a ton and a half of metal around at anything but my best. I get even more pedantic about it if im driving other people. Dont mind slamming my own dumb ass into a tree but hell if im going to injure someone else. Like you all said though no idea what the attraction is or the need?

• Like 1

Let's not forget drug driving here, the opposite was true relating to these offences, more younger people than older in my experience. Back then youth culture and the club scene didn't help, at least plod have swab kits now, the sobriety tests were never conclusive enough at times.

I even had several diabetics and legal drug stops where they were driving in a manner befitting drink but it was down to the condition of them at the time.

One diabetic stop actually saved their life due to lack of insulin, luckily they were wearing a pendant stating the fact they had diabetes.

My grandad back in the 70s and early 80s would regularly drink copious amounts and drive home. When his generation started driving I imagine it wasn't enforced and they carried on regardless. Luckily he never had an accident or killed anyone! Crazy, and I can remember seeing the stagger marks on the ground one time as he had made several  attempts to get out of our garden gate before jumping in his car and driving home!

Edited by Zeezeebaba

Ashamed to admit it but in my 20's I was stupid enough to drive drunk. Payed the heavy price wrote off the Impreza and was pretty lucky not to kill my mate in the process. Was a peer pressure (@*!# excuse) occurrence, been fishing in the day had a few cans by the lake, went to the pub later sank several other premium strength larger's and decided we wanted food. So instead of the logical, smart thing and order it we hopped in the car to go get it. Drove too fast, attracted the attention of the law and decided to out run them....

I did a great job of loosing them right up to the point I jumped a red light, at which point I 'found' them again. Firmly planted the scooby right in the side of them at 50 :/

Took out some street railings etc etc.

Long story short. 3 year ban, suspended sentence, 400 hours community service, 400 hours probation and one of those drink awareness courses. Solicitor said I was lucky not to get 6-12 for it really I was inches away from it. Lost my job and was almost bankrupt.

On the plus side, never driven drunk since nor will I.

The awareness course really was an eyeopener on the fact it is so easy to be way over at lunch time the next day, takes a surprising amount of time to get out your system. Additionally, while on it there were guys there on their 5th and 6th bans for DD, I mean really 6 times ? Got to ask how they are stupid enough to keep doing it, once is too many. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

Of which folks will claim there's many, I'm sure ;)

But specifically, drink driving. Ol' Wayne Rooney has allegedly been charged with it today, but it's not like he's the first person to ever have a few then get behind the wheel. It's one crime though I just can't fathom out why people do it. I mean, I just don't get the mindset at all. I have, in my 37 years on this planet, been in many states of inebriation: A bit giggly after a beer or two, a cheerful drunk after an afternoon session, barely able to speak my own name after seriously hitting it, and hospitalised because I'm so drunk I stopped breathing*. And yet, in none of those states have I ever thought for one second it would be a good idea to get behind the wheel. Ever. It's possily the most dangerous and stupid thing that people still do on a regular basis, and I'm utterly baffled by it. Does anyone know anyone who's been done for it, and why they did it? Or has anyone been done themselves? No judging on this one from me, if you want to share your experience I promise not to pass comment on you.

I just don't get it. I really don't.

*This night was exactly a week before my wedding, the future Mrs Ekona was not impressed :D:lol:

And we all thought you only stopped breathing when you were talking :teeth:

• Like 1

I'm not up on news, but was it a next day thing or same day? I've never drunk driven, but have I had to go to work next day after a night of drinking in a hung over state? Yup when I was young and naive.  Never had an accident, but I'm a lucky one. I know different now and make sure I'm sober before driving next day by checking.  Need my license for my job. 

Since I spent my earlier 20s in South Africa, its a different lifestyle there.... Back then there were no services to help you get home after drinking, so you had to drive. Buses were unsafe, taxis non-existent and walking, well that was more dangerous. However, its much better there now, as they have services where people now meet you, put a holdup scooter in the boot and drive you home in your car. Although, I would be slightly worried if that was the GTR :)

I do realise how dangerous that is/was, so am now completely against it....

People do stupid things, that's life, no fathoming sometimes but also lots of psychological stuff behind the scenes too for some people. Whilst other only have one or two brain cells.

Not making excuses but life is too complicated for the answers to be found on an internet car forum.

• Like 1

I'm slightly naughty by having two - maximum.  On the basis I've had food or having food with the couple of drinks.  Next day I'm also conscious of how much was consumed the night before, more so now that I'm older but when I was younger I wouldn't hesitate to step into the car next morning - even with a hangover.  I've only ever been done for speeding offences and I would be confident in saying that I'm considerate enough to make sure I'm within the law these days.  Not only for the law's sake, but for mine and others who share the road.

I had a friend of mine who's been done twice for drunk driving, he learnt his lesson the second time.  I have lost my licence previously for 6 months, and that was hell.  2 Years I'd probably probably go nuts, and for that added reason I just don't drink and drive.

Not sure what exactly occurred with Rooney and the volumes/reading recorded, although it's quite clear what the limits are, go over and get caught you're nicked.  Who knows, maybe Rooney has been drink driving for years, just never caught.  He has been caught and this whether the first or 100th time, he's a stupid lad.  He'll likely get a reduced charge being who he is and just pay a hefty fine.

Have to say I dont understand why someone like Rooney wouldnt just get a taxi. The only thing I can think of is that from all accounts he was driving this bird home in her own car so he could slip her one and maybe he figured if he got a taxi the driver would be straight onto the press about how he`d dropped the 2 love birds off. However, as apparently he`d been on a 24hour drinking bender you would have thought that no matter how "sober" you felt, it would hardly be worth the risk.

I had a friend who id used to go out drinking with years ago who wouldnt think twice about drink driving. Usually when it came to getting to the local pizza place after a night of drinking etc. He had several near misses with the law but never got caught.

When I lived with my folks and used to frequent their local pub, I think nearly everyone in the pub, including the barman got done for drink driving at one point or another, but that was simply because the pub was in the middle of nowhere, always had lockin`s and people felt driving down a few country lanes home was safer than walking & there was not likely to be any police around. Fortunately I only ever went for the "walk home" option. TBH, the only reason most of them got caught was as a result of crashing their car into hedges/trees etc.

The only time I have ever drank/drive was one morning after I had been up until about 3am drinking vodka with my ex. I woke up at 7am, hungover, had no breakfast then remembered I had to meet someone at 9am. I jumped in my car and drove off without even considering I was more than likely over the limit. As it was I got stopped speeding and breathalysed. It was only then I felt an overwhelming feeling of impending doom and panic as the realisation hit me that I was more than likely over the limit and why had I not even thought about it. Anyway, I came up clean on the breathalyser much to my amazement and it was a lesson learnt. Still got done for the speeding offence though which was fair enough.

Edited by rabbitstew

TBH the reason you do it is because youre drunk, if you were sober youd realise it was a bloody stupid idea.

In my youth I used to a bit as everyone else round here did, I now realise how retarded that was .......... but as no-one ever got caught or crashed I guess we didnt see it as a problem, this is probably why people do it these days too, youre much more likely to get away with it than get nicked. Penny to a pound thats not the first time Rooney had DUI'd ......

It does depend on the circumstances too, I know a guy who lost his job as a bus driver after a heavy Friday night  (and a fair amount of Saturday morning), staying at a mates and off the road all day Saturday as he knew he would be over and then getting nicked driving to work at 5am on Sunday.
I can also think of at least 4-5 guys I know who drink drive regularly, mainly short distances down quiet roads but thats no excuse at all. Are these fellers in the same category? Of course not, but in the eyes of the law .......

One thing I will say Im incredibly against is a reduction of the DD limit, its all well and good to say "get a taxi/train/bus" if you live in a city but its not an option for much of the country, if you take it down to one pint of less I can see convictions increasing as youre effectively legislating against anyone living in the countryside, as well as the landlords of countryside pubs. And do they seriously expect you to stay off the drink totally if youre driving within 24 hours, seriously? 

Theres a balance, and I think the current law is about right.    

Only read the initial news report but in an old VW beetle? My first thoughts were that he might have had a couple, the nominated driver decided to have a few drinks and get a taxi, taxi was going to be a long time so Wayne decided to chance it given he only had a couple - would seem like a reasonable supposition, although all that could be wrong with anything that has been in the press since! 

48 minutes ago, coldel said:

Only read the initial news report but in an old VW beetle? My first thoughts were that he might have had a couple, the nominated driver decided to have a few drinks and get a taxi, taxi was going to be a long time so Wayne decided to chance it given he only had a couple - would seem like a reasonable supposition, although all that could be wrong with anything that has been in the press since! 

My initial thought was he was on his way to cop off with some bird back at her gaff :lol:

Blokes dont drive Beetles and Rooney can afford all the taxis and drivers in the world, the only reason he would be driving a Beetle is if it was someone elses and he wanted to keep his head down. As it were. :lol: 

• Like 1

Probably agree with Docwra, being drunk impairs your senses. My nephew of 28 had a bit of a ruck with a mate recently, his mate gave him his keys at the start of the night saying, dont let me have them back to drive home drunk, at the end of the night when drunk it kicked off because guess what, he wanted his keys back.

However i also agree with Ekona, i do not understand habitual drunk drivers, i guess its just the, it wont happen to me attitude.

18 hours ago, docwra said:

My initial thought was he was on his way to cop off with some bird back at her gaff :lol:

Blokes dont drive Beetles and Rooney can afford all the taxis and drivers in the world, the only reason he would be driving a Beetle is if it was someone elses and he wanted to keep his head down. As it were. :lol: 

From the reports in the press, basically Rooney pulled some bird after a 24 hr drinking session, was complimenting her on her boobs, had a snog and stuff, then drove her back to her place in her VW Beetle for a bit of hows your father whilst his wife was away on holiday. The bird basically said she was well up for it and would have given him the goods had they not got stopped by the police. I agree, only reason he was driving her car was so a taxi driver wouldnt grass him up etc.

All seems to have gone spectacularly wrong and he didnt even get his leg over.

19 hours ago, rabbitstew said:

From the reports in the press, basically Rooney pulled some bird after a 24 hr drinking session, was complimenting her on her boobs, had a snog and stuff, then drove her back to her place in her VW Beetle for a bit of hows your father whilst his wife was away on holiday. The bird basically said she was well up for it and would have given him the goods had they not got stopped by the police. I agree, only reason he was driving her car was so a taxi driver wouldnt grass him up etc.

All seems to have gone spectacularly wrong and he didnt even get his leg over.

Yeah either way she was selling a story to get her 5 minutes and a few quid out of it, poor Rooney, never was that bright was he.