Shift Light, whats yours set to? (For optimum performance)

jamiebridge

I have searched forums / googled and found many different answers to this.

It would be good to get a solid set of replies, to help people searching in the future. 

What are people setting their shift lights to for optimum performance? 

DE / REVUP / HR? Does it make a difference?

Also for people who have had UPREV tunes the torque curve should be much smoother and not drop off? So im assuming as high as possible?

I know the shift light is not essential, but its a bit of fun and can help out. So please refrain from the "you shouldnt need it" comments ;) .

Edited by jamiebridge

Mine has an upRev (DE) and peak power is at 5600 RPM, I believe mine drops off as I still have the stock exhaust system in place. I set the shift light to come on at 5500 RPM so I know I'm at peak power.

Edited by Colin747

It's just a light, so it doesn't matter where you set it as it's the speed and smoothness of your shifts combined with your reaction times that makes for best progress.

If you have slow reaction times and a long shift, then you're going to want to set it very early so that you have enough time to carry out the gear change before you hit the limiter. If you have a very fast reaction, then you'll want the opposite.

You want to be shifting as close to the redline as possible. Where you feel you need to set the shift light is up to the individual, and no-one can give you that answer apart from you. Besides, revving engines is fun! :D

think I had mine set right at the limit, 6600rpm, meaning essentially it never came on. not being used to having a shift light before, I found it a lot more of a distraction than an aid.

also, normally red flashing lights on a dashboard are bad news - my first thought when I saw it flash was 'what has gone wrong with the car?!?'

• 2 weeks later...