FN2 Civic Type R

nowhereboy

On the hunt for a new car for the Mrs as her current Renault Clio is on deaths door. She's always fancied another Type R since getting rid of the EP3 and with prices of the FN2 getting low we decided to go and have a look at a couple. 

We looked at a few low millage cars within our budget of 5 thousand and most of them were tatty, with aged interior, miss matching tyres and scuffs on the bodywork etc, we then came across a car well under budget with higher miles than I would normally go for (99K)

On inspection of the car it was in way better condition than the others we viewed, previously owned by a bus driver and he's had all the work done by Honda, car is on good tyres all round and has good history, look's well looked after. I know the millage shouldn't be a problem but I'd be lying if I said it isn't a little off putting. 

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704154453387?advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&make=HONDA&model=CIVIC&sort=price-asc&keywords=type r&postcode=ne47ya&page=10

Going to drive it on Wednesday and all going well will be taking it home with me. Opinions? 

Hi mileage Honda's are no problem so I wouldn't worry. My DC5 is on 126k and does around 8 - 10 track days a year and has never once broken down or had a single problem. I've got Castle Combe coming up in a couple of weeks followed by two days back to back at Spa and it will be fine and I was going to be doing The Ring the day after as well. My EP3 before was the same. The K20 engine is amazing.

With £5k, you will be tight to find a nice low mile FN2 but that one looks nice and as I say, high mile k20's are not a problem, especially if it has services history. Remember to check the gov MOT website to see it's history and if any advisories. The FN2 will be a bit softer and more modern than her EP3 which may or may not be a problem.

Good luck.

Softer and more modern is exactly what she is looking for so that shouldn't be a problem. 

Checked the MOT site whilst at work and it look's promising, it's passed pretty much every year first time, again suggesting the previous owner looked after it all year round. It needed new disks which have been recently fitted, it's also had the rubber seal across the top of the windscreen done with Honda as they can dig into the metal and rust. 

Big fan of the K20 engine myself, looking forward to borrowing the civic from time to time :lol: 

Picked it up today! First impressions are way better than I expected, its not what I would consider quick in a straight line but the high reving K20 is blissfull, I forgot how good the gearboxs are in these wee hondas too. The whole car feels so much more focused and track orientated than my ST. 

IMG_1591.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

• Like 1

Good old fashioned hot hatch torsion handling at the rear and a nice comfortable toy laden and surprisingly practical cabin. Didn't they do a run out champ white one with a LSD?

I never fell in love with this one after owning an EP3 and Tegs and the motoring press made a meal out of the torsion beam but they were still excellent cars to be fair. 

• Like 1

I was never interested in the FN2 either to be honest, the mrs loves them tho. Ive done a complete 180 after driving it, such a fun car and it looks much better in the flesh than in pictures, the seats in it are perfect too. It makes my ST feel like a GT car in comparison. 

Yea they did a white one with an LSD, I could probably get one of them and have enough left over for a supercharger if I sold the ST privately. Very tempted.

• Like 1