Touch-Screen Stereo Head Unit - Advice & Recommendations needed

DeeJayDready

When I bought my '07 350Z GT it came fitted with a Sony WX-GT90BT head unit - see below (along with the original Bose head unit in a box, should I wish to switch back). I can see why the previous owner choose the WX-GT90BT. It is a high quality unit which features a CD player, FM/MW/LW tuner, Bluetooth audio streaming and phone call integration, an Aux input, and a USB port. It also integrates amazingly well with the look of the car's interior. The LCD screen can be switched between 12 colours (and several multi-coloured variations thereof), with 'Amber' matching almost perfectly with the dashboard display. And as a very nice finishing touch, the black plastic at the bottom of the unit almost mirrors the dark grey dimpled plastic finish of the 350Z centre console itself.

But... I can't help thinking I'm missing a trick (given that the 350Z has a double din stereo slot) by not having some kind of all-singing all-dancing touch screen unit. I'm not even fully up-to-speed on what my options are and what is out there. Presumably some kind of touch screen, dvd-playing, sat-nav device with apps and the like? I wouldn't want to give up any of the functionality I currently have (Bluetooth, USB, Aux input, etc) if it can be avoided. But essentially I'm looking for some advice and recommendations from people who have been there and done that. Is some type of modern head unit the last piece of the puzzle for my Zed interior, and if so are there any restrictions that I should be aware of? Or am I crazy to even be talking about switching out a unit that already has so many plus points..?

IMG_7053.jpg.547a4248ae32a686af0ae0c569f20cd4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same head unit as you, and agree that its a little dated by some standards. However, mines not a daily driver so feel it does the job adequately. I do have the standard satnav too, which is also dated. Most seem to go with a touch screen double din compatible with apple play or android, some do both. If you can get it compatible with your phone, you can't go far wrong. 

I installed a pioneer sph da-120 and is excellent would reccomned. Bluetooth for music or can run an aux or lightning adapter (iPhone) and have music played through leads. I have an iPhone and plug this in and the pioneer has apple car play so it puts your phone screen onto the radio so you can use sat nav from your phone, calls, music etc. 

The raido itself is a bit pricy though and the install isn't the simplist but do-able. I followed the guide on here and it works perfectly even the steering wheel controls work

47 minutes ago, LukeA said:

I installed a pioneer sph da-120 and is excellent would reccomned.

+1 for the Pioneer. I dont have an iPhone so that part of it is wasted on me but its great for bluetooth and i feel it suits the interior nicely.

16 hours ago, zippypooz said:

Im going for this...its not the cheapest but music is my life (apart from my zed of course!!)

Its a great bit of kit although it is for iphone only...but id rather spend the cash on something i really want than get another and regret it!

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/iLX-700

Specs on that are bang on 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, coming late to this thread but, as I recently swapped out the original Bose head unit in my Z for a double DIN Kenwood touch-screen, thought this might help. As the new unit obviously has a full screen, I fitted a reversing camera at the same time which I reckon was well worth the moderate extra cost. I initially had issues with the sound levels not being loud enough because the pre-amp voltages from the unit aren't high enough to drive the on-board Bose amp. but, after getting advice from other members here and my installer, went for a pair of line drivers which more than adequately fixed the problem though space behind the head unit is now rather lmited! Apparently the volume issue is more common with Kenwood/JVC units than Pioneer or Alpine but no guarantees either way of course. I went for a Kenwood DDX5016DAB which wasn't too pricey and has a few useful features, like the ability to pair two phones simultaneously. I tweaked the background image and colour settings to make it blend in nicely (see pics - not great quality as taken at night but, if you'd like something a bit clearer, let me know). Overall very chuffed with the final result and, with a 128 gig usb in the cubby, I have my entire music collection to pick from. Also swapped out the original interior lights for ice blue LEDs which I reckon look good with the azure blue finish.

Kenwood DDX in 350Z (2).jpg

Kenwood DDX in 350Z.jpg

• 1 year later...

I was looking into this again recently. Certainly, as a few people mentioned above, Pioneer seems to be coming out as a very likely candidate. Their AVH-Z5100DAB  unit seems to have it all! - 7" touch screen, dvd-player, sat-nav (via Apple CarPlay), bluetooth streaming, USB input. It looks like a really top bit of kit, if rather pricey (£375).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this unit? https://www.pioneer-car.eu/uk/products/avh-z5100dab/specifications

The USB input seems to be critical to getting the best out of these type of units, but they are almost always rear-mounted (and rightly so to maximise screen size). But where do people tend to run their USB>Lightning cable to? Ideally I'd want it to look discrete, but without having to cut away or damage the interior in the process.

Also, these style units appear to be pretty bulky. I presume they can be fitted ok as many others have clear done so. But again, can this be done without cutting anything away? I see that it does say that a Nissan 350Z can take the AVH-Z5100DAB under the 'Fit My Car' tab here, so that seems positive: https://www.pioneer.com.au/shop/car/avh-z5100dab/

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any thoughts on the above? Particularly on handling the USB>Lightning cable.

Was hoping to get some pointers on here before taking the plunge and buying the head unit. But now that I've made the decision to go for a screen style unit, I'm eager to get it and get it into the car.

I'm a big fan of the Sony head units, I'd go for the Sony XAV-AX3005db.  The UI is incredibly smooth, some of the Pioneer/JVC/Kenwood models have a noticeable stutter when selecting apps which really put me off them.  The adjustable settings are fairly basic, but should cover most of what you want it to do.  I'd suggest going into your local Halfords and having a go with a few of the units and see what you think.

For a decent model you're probably looking at £300+, lower end models like the XAV-AX100 are about £200.  If you can afford it I'd go for the newer faster ones.

Definitely go for a stereo that has Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, as this will mean the head unit will constantly be up to date with the latest technology.

Stay away from anything android or windows based. 

Yeah, I've always been a big fan of Sony head units myself. Had heard good things about Pioneer for these touchscreen style units though. I haven't made any final decisions as yet, but the Sony XAV-AX3005db doesn't have a CD/DVD drive; I'll want that option.

Point taken on the Apple CarPlay. I think that would be a 'must have' for me. But you need to connect your phone via a USB cable for that. Where did you run your cable to? How was it done?

Most AA/CP head units have a USB port on the rear side of the head unit, so you run the cable behind the dash and have the end sticking out near where you connect your phone.

If you want a CD drive this will rule out a lot of the higher end models.  The only one I can see on Halford's website that has both Apple CarPlay & a CD Drive is the Sony XAV-AX200.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-XAV-AX200-6-4-Inch-Premium-Receiver/dp/B074FQ9BP1

Quick update to this: do not buy the stereo I recommended above (Sony XAV-AX3005DB).

I finally got round to buying one, and Android Auto doesn't work, it continually freezes and doesn't recognise my phone.  Started googling it and it appears to be a common problem with these models (and the 5000 as well), so based on that I would definitely avoid it.

I've now put in a Kenwood DMX-7017DABS from Halfords for £340, and although the UI is a bit cluttered it is definitely the better model.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't took the plunge on a head unit, but I haven't heard anything major to make me seriously reconsider the Pioneer AVH-Z5100DAB. At this point I image that is what I'll go for... [7" Screen, Apple CarPlay, CD/DVD, etc.]

But I'm still looking pointers on connecting to a phone via the (rear mounted) USB cable....

Where do people run their cable to? How was is done? Can it be done without any major damage being caused? Does anyone have any pictures of theirs?

I'm hoping the answer is the central cubby at the drivers elbow, as I think that may probably work best. The phone could be connected and tucked away in there, yet still easily accessible when required. There is also already a little hole in there for the bluetooth adapter cables. Would this be a difficult job?

28 minutes ago, DeeJayDready said:

Would this be a difficult job?

Nope, all you need to do is pull out the centre arm rest and run the phone cable alongside the existing wires.

1 - Remove air-con controls

2 - Remove gear knob

3 - Move seats all the way forward and remove the 2 screws on either side of the centre console behind the seats

4 - Unplug any wires around the gear knob

5 - Remove centre console

(If you've got a DE, you may need to remove a single screw from the middle somewhere)

You can then run your phone cable down the middle and have it poke out of the bluetooth bit.  

Should take you around 20 minutes in total.

Be careful with the rubber handbrake cover though, as this is not removable without breaking it though (which I found out)

• 4 weeks later...

So the Pioneer AVH-Z5100DAB that I'd been looking at suddenly appeared on eBay (via Argos) out of nowhere for £308 a couple of weeks ago. Maybe a newer model is about to be launched or something? But prior to that, you definitely couldn't get a new one anywhere for less than £380. Amazon are still selling them for £450. I only spotted it yesterday, and naturally took the bait at that price.

Cheers for the tips regarding the cabling folks. I'll let you know how I get on. I may even be best running a USB>lightning  AND a 3.5mm Aux lead through to cover the bases? I've an iPhone7, and it looks like it will fit in the elbow cubby nicely with a lead connected. I'll probably want a bit of slack left on the cable(s) anyway, so I can take the phone out and have it in my hand while it's still connected.

• 5 weeks later...

So, after a fitting that didn't go at all to plan at a local auto electricians, I eventually got sorted by Aaron from 'Source In-Car', formerly of The Iceman, who did a fantastic job in no time. Pretty chuffed with the job and the unit. A quick firmware update and custom wallpaper later, and I'm in business!

IMG_1517.jpeg

IMG_1521.jpeg.24a9a7d31c7ceefa8fd82a9252239012.jpeg

Edited by DeeJayDready