£407 bus lane fine!

nowhereboy

frustrating news today! Had a call from my Dad to state he has had ballifs at the door due to a unpaid bus lane fine dated december last year. As some of you know Ive been working away from home so haven't been checking my post often. Have dug through all my post today and can't find a single letter relating to this. Apparantly I was caught out in a bus lane that was put in the most obscene place in newcastle city center, badly signed and no way of avoiding it once you have turned onto the road its on. It was in the papers at the end of last year as it caught hundreds of motorists out. Im under the impression many appealed at the time and got the charges waved. 

Just venting at this point, doubt theres much point in appealing as I cant imagine that getting anywherefast and my Dad is obviously stressed about having ballifs at his door. Agreed to pay them tomorrow. 

£407!!!! Rip off britain at its finest.

Don't pay it in full, just contact the court and complete a Statutory Declaration. This will reset the process, and you just pay the original amount.

However, expect to be grilled as to how you missed the following letters, as you would likely have received at least three others (second fine without discount, notice of court proceedings, and judgement). If you can prove you haven't been in the country to receive that post, then a StatDec is admissible.

• Like 1

Cheers Dan, I was hoping you would reply. 

I have no documentation regarding this and I'm struggling to find any contact numbers for the relevant departments. 

I'm at work at the minute but my first point of action was to ring the council and find out details of the alleged bus lane incident, I'm assuming they can point me in the direction of the courts etc? I'm willing to fight this but a bit concerned that the Bailiffs won't leave my dad alone in the mean time.  

1 hour ago, nowhereboy said:

Cheers Dan, I was hoping you would reply. 

I have no documentation regarding this and I'm struggling to find any contact numbers for the relevant departments. 

I'm at work at the minute but my first point of action was to ring the council and find out details of the alleged bus lane incident, I'm assuming they can point me in the direction of the courts etc? I'm willing to fight this but a bit concerned that the Bailiffs won't leave my dad alone in the mean time.  

I had something similar probably 10 years ago relating to a wrongly issued parking ticket which I never saw that was issued in a different city from where I was studying and the car been registered at home so I never saw the court papers.

It took ages to get anything out of the council, and through out the whole time the bailiffs were knocking on my parents door every day.

In the end for the sake of £300ish I just paid up, I suspect I could have got it all sorted eventually but the hassle just wasn't worth it.....

Interestingly the Bailiffs were apparently demanding £600 on the day from my parents (but nothing in writing), but the council has only asked for £300 (including all costs), I suspect someone along the line was also trying to pocket some cash without telling anyone. I ended up paying the council directly and when I asked why the Bailiffs were asking for £600 it all became quite very quickly!! 

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

There will be contact numbers on the paperwork left by the bailiffs, so my first course of action would be to speak to them to tell them this is in dispute. Now, with court-auctioned ones they're not as likely to be as understanding as civil ones, however it may but you a couple of days at least. You can then speak to the court itself to go through the details, they're usually pretty helpful and will guide you in the right direction. 

No point speaking to the council until you've spoken to the above first. :)

Edited by Ekona

Didnt have time to contact the courts today as I was at work within the opening hours. I have since emailed them explaining the situation and asking for information regarding how to make a statutory decleration. Im off tomorrow so will ring them first thing. I have found a template online for the decleration. I have since done research on this and it would appear I have a good chance of getting it sorted. The bailiffs were unhelpful as predicted Dan, they stated they will continue to enforce it until advised not too. 

Yeah, figured as much. Tbh I would as well, given that it's a story they've probably heard a billion times before. I think it'll be fine too fella, it's not like you're disputing the original fine or anything, you just didn't even know it existed and are now pro-actively dealing with it. Courts & councils like that type of person, makes their life easier. :thumbs:

I do have one question though: How did you find time to email the courts and find a template, but no enough time to make a phonecall??!! ;):lol:

• Like 2

Good question haha! I found the templates etc after work today, the court  contact number was already out of use by this point, lines shut at 5. Thanks for your help, so much misinformation and contradicting info online I didn't have a clue where to start and was just going to fold and pay it.

• Like 1

Argh this is turning into a complete headache. Cant get an answer when ringing the court, have no idea how to find out which court convicted me in absense. No reply to either email, neither the council or the TEC can tell me which court dealt with this and as predicted the bailiff wont tell me either. Cant do a statutory decleration until I know where Im sending it. Texted and emailed the courts ring back service but been waiting all morning. Any advice?