Pleased to be here :) i need some advice though!

Mas

Hey All,

Im J, 29 from Essex and looking to get either a 350z or 370z! I have been reading a lot of this forum and learnt a lot about the cars, thank you for making this site and filling it with all this info!

Is there a section i can post a "looking for advice" thread? Its mainly looking to hear peoples opinions on a dealer who seem to get a lot of these cars but some are imports without a history and also if there are any members near me who wouldn't mind viewing a 350 / 370 with me to help check over the car for the known things to look for (more than happy to pay for their time / petrol / buy lunch if you want etc). I think paying someone who knows about the cars to check over one for me could end up saving me £££'s in the future.

Thank you!

Hey welcome to the forum. :D plenty of random threads to read up little bits and pieces on or if you have any specific questions pop them in here and im sure someone passing by will be nice enough to answer them. I can offer what I know but ive only had my 350 for 6 months :) 

• Like 1

Welcome bud,

Plenty of threads about the different models of zed you can get...   I will try and be short about your options:

Imports are OK, but most of them lack the extras like cruise control, leathers, brembos etc that the UK cars have (gt pack). I would say go for a UK cars unless it's a good deal on the import and it has loads of UK history.

The 350 has 3 models:

2004 - cheaper tax (old style tax bands)

2006 - face-lift, bit more bhp, less torque (not a big difference), higher tax 500+.  They call it the revup engine and some are known to use a little oil (again nothing major usually)

Then there's the final model, the HR, 315bhp approx so much more power, different power bulge bonnet (much nicer) few other changes but budget dictates the best choice for you.

The HR is the 350 to go for. I didn't go for one I went for an 04 as I don't drive it much and dont mind about the power difference.

The 370 is a different breed. In my opinion a better car in every way, but the price of one reflects that obviously. 

In short...   any zed will be a joy to own and drive so long as you take your time and pick the right one for you

Oh to add to that the AA and rac do a service for checking a used car and I've found it helpful for most basic mechanical checks.

Or hang about and try pick one up from the for sale section on here.   Many of the cars that come up are well known, as are the owners.

Hey Redsky :) how you liking it? i just want to treat myself to a fun car, always had the work van never a sports car.

Thanks Jords really appreciate that info, do the HR's start from a 57 plate? I did wonder why some 2008 350's are priced around the same as a 2010 370? is it because the 350 HR is the last model / refined where as the 2010 370 is the 1st Generation?

There is a 2008 350 HR 28k mileage on Autotrader for around 11k  and a 2010 370 with 60k milage for 11k :scare:

I'm not exactly sure on when the HR model starts but it's around 08.   Easiest way to tell is by the bonnet and the twin air intakes instead of a single one.

Personally I would say the HR for 11k is a bit steep but it's going to be hard to find a 350z with that low mileage, that's probably why it's high priced.   I would chose the honest 370 if I was looking at that price range I think.

16 minutes ago, Mas said:

Hey Redsky :) how you liking it? i just want to treat myself to a fun car, always had the work van never a sports car.

Thanks Jords really appreciate that info, do the HR's start from a 57 plate? I did wonder why some 2008 350's are priced around the same as a 2010 370? is it because the 350 HR is the last model / refined where as the 2010 370 is the 1st Generation?

There is a 2008 350 HR 28k mileage on Autotrader for around 11k  and a 2010 370 with 60k milage for 11k :scare:

Welcome Mas, I've owned several zeds over the years. In all honesty I'd go for the 370 if your budget allows.  

Just bare in mind the oil gallery gaskets will need replacing on either the 350hr and 370z if they haven't been done already.  

• Like 1

Yea i am starting to think the same Nso93!

With the oil gallery gasket, is there a certain mileage that it needs replacing i should be looking out for or is it recommended to replace it regardless? (if it hasnt been done already of course)

There's not a certain mileage to my knowledge but when I had a hr I had them replace at 69k.

The way I diagnosed it was off the oil pressure gauge. Mine was idoling at just over 0 when warm.

horsham developments have tool which they can diagnose if the gaskets have gone. 

29 minutes ago, Jords said:

Welcome bud,

Plenty of threads about the different models of zed you can get...   I will try and be short about your options:

Imports are OK, but most of them lack the extras like cruise control, leathers, brembos etc that the UK cars have (gt pack). I would say go for a UK cars unless it's a good deal on the import and it has loads of UK history.

The 350 has 3 models:

2004 - cheaper tax (old style tax bands)

2006 - face-lift, bit more bhp, less torque (not a big difference), higher tax 500+.  They call it the revup engine and some are known to use a little oil (again nothing major usually)

Then there's the final model, the HR, 315bhp approx so much more power, different power bulge bonnet (much nicer) few other changes but budget dictates the best choice for you.

The HR is the 350 to go for. I didn't go for one I went for an 04 as I don't drive it much and dont mind about the power difference.

The 370 is a different breed. In my opinion a better car in every way, but the price of one reflects that obviously. 

In short...   any zed will be a joy to own and drive so long as you take your time and pick the right one for you

Nice explanation there Jords ... just to add, the power difference is negated by lower torque so don't get too hung up on that OP

For me (and a lot of others), the 350 will be the classic as the 370 does not have the purity of line ... I'm looking for a 350 GT4 (2006) which I think will be the one to own

Ive got an 07 plate HR (july 2007 i think mine was one of the earliest HR's) I do love it to pieces, its got loads of grunt it sounds amazing the ride is firm but actually comfortable the only place i can complain is the road i live on has lots of deep short sort of divots and that does throw you around a fair bit. Ive checked the oil every two weeks since i got her back in march and even with some spirited driving I havent lost a drop. I drive 30 miles a day for work and sit at about 25mpg even when racing away from lights and even getting into a little bit of a race with an R32 skyline the other day.

I did have some issues though, clutch slave cylinder died 3 days after buying it so that was a good chunk of funds, underside is fairly rusty but it did have to spend some of its life by the sea. So repairs to my brake lines were needed which wasnt too bad. Paid £10 to get my undertray properly reattached as some bolts popped loose. Im also lining up to have a proper body shop go under her and strip away all the rust and properly reseal the underside.

But everything taken into consideration I wouldnt change a thing (well unless I could find a HR in the blue O.O) But little complaints and repairs aside the car owns my heart entirely and when you start hitting it hard and you get above 3000 RPM she sounds utterly fantastic. Ive never driven a 370 but i would assume its pretty much a 350 with a bit more grunt and some newer tech. Only complaint ive heard was someone saying they felt the electronics in the 370 step in a bit too often when you really want to get on it but no idea how much truth there is to that.

Hope my little rant helps xD.

Oh also the compulsive urge to upgrade and change bits, thats pretty strong too :p 

Edited by Redsky

3 minutes ago, Redsky said:

But everything taken into consideration I wouldnt change a thing (well unless I could find a HR in the blue O.O)

3 minutes ago, Redsky said:

There are no UK Azure HRs I'm afraid

That Azure Blue is my favourite colour too alghough i like chris drifts respray here -

I am so torn between the two models i just need to watch more reviews and read more here :thumbs: the money i save getting a 350 over a 370 could be put towards some cosmetic items too to make it my own i spose.

1 hour ago, Colin747 said:

I've not heard that before, mind if I ask why that is?

For me the 370 design was not an improvement on the 350. I particularly didn't like the fangs in the grille. The latest Nismo looks better but still does not have the (almost) perfect proportions of the 350.

I also think the blue on the 370 is not a patch on the Azure on the 350.

Just my opinion really but as I say, others have agreed in old threads on the subject.

• Like 2