P0350 Ignition coil primary/ Secondary circuit malfunction

Rob332

Hi guys,

had a misfire the other day, VDC light, slip light and EML came on.

Misfire did go away after a few minutes and the car ran fine for the rest of my journey.

Got home and checked the code -  P0350  Ignition coil primary/ Secondary circuit malfunction.

Thinking if it was a coil pack the code would highlight which cylinder was the problem so I assumed it would be an earth fault.

Went round with the multimeter and checked the resistance at all earth points and they were all fine.

Thinking it was a one off I cleared the code.

Now today it has come on again, same code.

Does anyone know if one faulty coil pack would generate the generic  P0350 code ? Or would it be a different code highlighting exactly which cylinder ?

It's a pain, because as the fault is intermittent I cannot test each coil pack to determine if one is at fault as the fault goes away after 10 mins.

Wondering if anyone has had this code before and if replacing the coil packs rectified the issue. ?

BTW It's  a 2003 DE import.

Many thanks

Rob

Long time ago I had "Multiple Miss-fire" which wasn't dependent upon any one singular cylinder.  This miss-fire would only occur when starting the car, or when giving it beans.  This went on for 6 months before I then received a specific code error against coil pack 5.

From what you're saying it sounds coil pack related.  Personally, I would source a spare coil pack.  Keep it in the car with some tools until the time comes that your failing coil pack has let go!  Fit and carry on.

This is one of those issues you can't nail with a direct repair.  You could go round swapping coil packs but due to the intermittent miss-fire it's going to take ages to identify, and by then it's likely the offending coil pack will identify itself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob332 said:

Does anyone know if one faulty coil pack would generate the generic  P0350 code ? Or would it be a different code highlighting exactly which cylinder ?

A faulty coil usually just gives P0300 Random Misfire. It tends not to identify the cylinder. VDC light doesn't come on either - just EML - so it could be something else?

Edited by Kieran O'Quick

Thanks for the input guys.

Think I'll get hold of a coil pack from Alex and keep hold of it.

I'm going to be changing the plugs shortly , so I'll prob test the resistance on the terminals on each coil pack in turn.

If I get one anomaly then I'll swap that one and see what happens. If I don't, then I'll just wait it out and see if it gets worse.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry to Bump I recently got the same p0350 error code come up on mine a few days ago . did you resolve the issue?
Apparently a faulty O2 sensor can cause a P350 and misfire. Because the senor effects the mixture..Not sure this makes sense

to me though...
I have a misfire on cylinder two.

i pulled the coil and tested for a spark. it looked a bit weak so have one on order..

i hope this will fix the issue.