Uneven Tyre Wear After Corrected

Colin747

I got my 350 aligned a few months ago at a well known local store and long story short they ****ed it up. My alignment is now corrected but in the mean time a brand new set of Pilot Sport 4's have worn unevenly. If we take one of the tyres which has worn 4mm 6mm 4mm (left, centre, right), will all three sections wear at a normal even rate (Xmm/Yweeks) or will the 6mm section wear faster than usual to "catch up" to the 4mm sections?

If the garage messed it up get them to replace the tyres.  I had this with a set of New Toyo's on the Alfa few years ago where they messed it up, I pushed them to replace the uneven worn tyres.  They were not happy but I was rather persistent and I got a new set from them.

If its not your fault get the garage to stump up.

How unevenly have they worn? And what alignment did you ask for? A geo setting that allows for completely equal tyre wear (bearing in mind that tyre pressures will also make a massive difference and will be set by you) will also make the car very boring and numb to drive.

Can you give us the exact wear number over all four tyres, and both old and new geo settings?

I agree with Dan, and 4-6-4 could be down to inflation. I think the difficulty you'd have with the 1st garage is that you've now had the alignment corrected elsewhere eradicating any evidence that it was even out. However if it was a big enough company and with the age of social media, they might replace the worn tyres to shut you up or stop you going to head office (I work in a garage that fits tyres and would totally do that to stop my boss hearing about how I stuffed up). Saved image at the cost of a couple of hundred quid? Absolutely.

4 - 6- 4 across the tyre would suggest a pressure issue, specifically too low a pressure meaning the shoulders are wearing faster than the middle. what tyre pressures are you running? perhaps try them a few psi over normal to even the wear.

if the toe or camber is out I'd expect to see massively increased wear on one side - ie a tyre looks new across the majority of the thread, but then the inside shoulder normally is completely worn smooth.