The new forum

gsexr

7 hours ago, docwra said:

Hang on a minute, theres no personal attack on any of the staff going on here, whats with getting all defensive?

I strongly dislike the new skin and it looks like Im not alone but Ive not seen any negative comments up until this thread, I imagine out of respect for the time someone has put into doing it. It just doesnt work with the way that I use forums so Im visiting less and getting less involved than I had been.

If youre not interested in feedback then just delete the thread and move on, personally I think as a "club" feedback is essential and even if its not positive, if its constructive its worthwhile. 
r
As for the fiver and tenner example, I see where youe coming from but without any users theres no forum in the first place, is there? ;)

Exactly right Doc.  You can't say anything.  Last time i raised my same observations I had the same defensive response.  If the analytics back up the general consensus on here that site traffic is down, that surely means our concerns are valid and worthwhile listening to? 

I've been using this site for a decade and i want what is best for this club, not just for me.  But it seems i'm ungrateful for expressing concerns.

If you've not got the capacity Lexx, why not ask for help?  I'm sure there are plenty of capable people on here, myself included.

5 hours ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

vs

How does the two go together? :lol::lol: UX for websites involves mobiles, tablets, desktops etc, all kind of devices used to browse the websites you guys build. 

Adrian - when designing sites we make sure both the mobile and desktop journey's are fantastic - we don't just forget about desktop because the mobile is good enough.  And because my personal preference is to use desktop instead of mobile when i use this site how does that make my comments less valid??

• Like 5

And for what its worth, my only criticism of this new skin is the main thread view page as it's unclear.  Everything else is an improvement. 

...but because im using the site a whole lot less maybe i've not encountered all the other problems yet. :lol::lol:

Chill Al.  Guys give Al a bit of space, he doen't mean to come across as brusque but he does understandably get very protective about this place and he WAS the driving force behind the new software and it's implemntation.  It's fair to say without him and his persistence with problems and hiccups it wouldn't be here now in this format.  I'm sure we all want the best from this place and together I'm sure we will achieve that.  Just my two penny worth. Thank you.

• Like 1

Due to this thread I have actually spent quite a while getting my head around the new site.

I was not aware of the Forum Help which did take a lot of scrolling to locate.

Although it is going to take me a while to get used it, I think I have the hang of it.

It is, right now feeling more cumbersome, but surely this is just change and won't in time ?

I believe some of the loss views here are due to change here but equally the FB page.

I for one have had to force myself to come on here as I do prefer  a Forum to FB but it is easy to get drawn into the FB thread if are on FB at the time. I have found the same with other Clubs and they have not had a massive facelift, new site to contend with at the same time.

Annoyingly if I turn off the FB thread, I find you can also miss things, events, meets in particular.

Too many ways to communicate these days, so unless folk duplicate everywhere things will be missed.

Sorry .....going off on a tangent !! ;):D

• Like 1

The trouble with the FB 350Z forums (although not the official club one, I might add) is that they get can get taken over by someone who consistently spouts utter nonsense about the car, but does it in such a way with constant posting that people start to believe his garbage. 

I mean, despite everyone knowing that Nissan main dealers don't know their arse from their elbow, if you have mates who are Super Wonderful Nissan Techs then clearly you must be the font of all knowledge...

But yeah, there's nowt wrong here. And of course I should be pacified at all costs! :lol: 

Each has their own benefits, which is why we set up the FB page associated with this forum. Some prefer one, others prefer the other. Being a member of quite a few forums its clear that less people are signing up to forums and just using FB as thats what they know - however this is a global phenomenon and in no way associated with the revamp of this site on any sort of scale. 

Marzman but I take offence to your comment that the forum cannot speak. Your first post on this thread is that this "isn't a patch on the previous iterations" yet above you are saying you feel you have only one issue with it and everything else is improved. The team spend hours of their free time changing stuff based on feedback on a regular basis and we make team decisions on what we do and do not implement, just because we haven't leapt all over your piece of feedback is in no way indication of how much the team take on board and make changes based on feedback.

Regardless of what has been said on this thread, as mentioned a number of times, there is a sub forum for feedback put stuff in it that is something we can see gives improvement to the forum and it will be assessed by the team.

• Like 1

My Apologies if I seemed upity yesterday. I've just came off the back of a stressful 3 weeks on the boat and when I came here to catch up I (naturally) get hyper defensive of what I worked and helped to create. 

It is extremely disappointing to read that some members don't like our new set up, as a significant amount of time was put into developing and finding a modern and fresh look. 

My frustration is mainly at the trivial points some people say is the reasoning they don't visit as much any more. Because they are trivial. 

@marzman I will look into addressing your particular "flaw" when I get chance (unfortunately this will likely be 10-14 days due to family life).

Also if members really want a "different" look, then please find a suitable skin that you think would work and then PM me so we can discuss. Please remember though that skins are not free. 

In fairness I think feeling defensive is fully justifiable when its something you've helped create and are proud of. As has been said, there is a sub section for ideas and areas of improvement, that doesn't seem to get used all that much. Plus @coldel's new thread has helped me out and I thought i was pretty good on here lol. 

No doubt it takes some getting used to. Few days and you are off. Give it a chance folks. 

If this was the original forum when launched there would be very few complaints from people. It's that word "change" that takes some adjustment. 

To anyone involved in the forum and site development, hat off to you all for the time and effort.  I for one applaud you.  :teeth:

• Like 2

On 18/08/2017 at 08:19, Adrian@TORQEN said:

You should thank the forum you're now so much more productive, less time wasted, I'd say that's an improvement :lol: 

Very true :lol: The wife is a lot happier 

Edited by WINKJ