The new forum

gsexr

Ok guys and girls just a post  to see what people are thinking about the new look forum.

I`m not writing this to knock the new look and i understand the forum had to make changes I`m just interested what other people think.

I have found that i use the forum less since the new look and dont feel it flows as well for me so just wondered what others think.

If they are not using it much they might not even read this .

So guys and girls what are your thoughts, is it just a case of using it more to get used to it or am i missing something about how it all gels together.

Any answers appreciated .

I agree sadly.  I don't want to knock the hard work people have put in but its not a patch on any of the previous iterations, for me. 

My experience sounds similar to yours... i've been on here far less since the change to the point that i almost deleted my bookmark for the site this week to save me clicking on it by habit.

Still... I have been walking the dog more rather than wasting away on here :)

Edited by marzman
  • Like 1

The mobile phone aspect is much better. I've been on a little less through work and (strangely) holiday. I got used to the new set up quite quickly.  The forum was busier when there was social controversy like election's and tragedy. 

• Like 1

I pretty much agree with what everyone has said better on mobile and being able to add pictures and video direct is a godsend but doesn't quite give me the instant overview of the old forum can't quite put my finger on it but I'm also spending less time here too maybe i just need to stop whining and  get used to it

:)

No wait I am missing something where are the rest of the emoticons... :dry:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, andybp said:

No wait I am missing something where are the rest of the emoticons... :dry:

All of them are still here Andy, ...when you're replying to a topic in the reply box just click on the "smiley face" which will bring up the "Emoticons" pop up box, then just click on "categories" and you'll see over 120 to use as you choose. :bunny:

• Like 3

I log on most days but find I don't spend as much time browsing the topics as it's not a s easy to look at the latest posts, as others have said, doesn't flow as well and feels like you're missing potential interesting posts. Uploading photo's is much easier though.  

• Like 1

Agree with the above. Doesn't flow as well but has some nice touches like the photo upload and notification that someone else has posted while you type

I've not been on as much but more so now that I'm getting used to it. Was the same with the last update- I don't like change lol but once I was used to it I was fine

Also why does the autocorrect not have a capital letter at the start of a new paragraph when using iOS? Petty I know :lol: but maybe I'm missing something 

I'd said it in one of the early threads... the killer for me is the way posts are displayed in the main view - such as 'LRF4N replied to gsexr's topic in Off Topic Discussion.'

I really dislike having to read a full sentence to see who's thread it is, and what section it's in.  This info used to be in columns in all previous forums.  The eye is drawn to LRF4N so you think it's his thread, and I find it's a lot harder on the eye to filter out the stuff I don't want to read.  e.g. Introductions & Welcome Messages i'm really not bothered about reading, but i now have to read the thread title and the sentence below to see who posted it and what section its in.

I work in software and our company produces eCommerce websites, and i get involved in UX (User Experience) a lot, and I wouldn't want this flaw on one of our sites.

I've never logged on via mobile or tablet either so that doesn't benefit me... i'm a dektop user only :dry:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, marzman said:

I'd said it in one of the early threads... the killer for me is the way posts are displayed in the main view - such as 'LRF4N replied to gsexr's topic in Off Topic Discussion.'

I really dislike having to read a full sentence to see who's thread it is, and what section it's in.  This info used to be in columns in all previous forums.  The eye is drawn to LRF4N so you think it's his thread, and I find it's a lot harder on the eye to filter out the stuff I don't want to read.  e.g. Introductions & Welcome Messages i'm really not bothered about reading, but i now have to read the thread title and the sentence below to see who posted it and what section its in.

I work in software and our company produces eCommerce websites, and i get involved in UX (User Experience) a lot, and I wouldn't want this flaw on one of our sites.

I've never logged on via mobile or tablet either so that doesn't benefit me... i'm a dektop user only :dry:

It might be useful if you could post up a couple of links/screenshots to other forums where the layout is more up your street. Thanks.

9 hours ago, marzman said:

I wouldn't describe it as a flaw. Just a different way of displaying information. 

Some like it, some don't. 

If those others who have said they aren't finding it good to use could give some information on what it is they don't like then we can look into it. 

As we mentioned before though, the forum simply could not go on in its previous state. We were mere weeks away from in all likelihood losing the forum completely. 

Our software provider radically changed their product which meant that our previous skins were not compatable with the upgrade, and of those member of the Team that do have the skill set to create skins from scratch, all were extremely busy with their real world lives. 

I am looking into introducing a basic skin (essentially a low bandwidth skin) sometime in the coming months if work/home free time allows. 

Also got a performance tweak of our current skin to install one night this week. 

• Like 1

For me it's the way the new stories are displayed that I dont like as above, also if you are 15 pages into a build thread and you click on the update for that thread it seems to take you back to the start of the thread, not sure if I'm just doing something wrong but it's frustrating. Both just nigly Teath ingredients problems. Other than that the new skin looks great and the picture/video upload is a great feature. Keep up the good work lexx and the team!

Big, big plus is the ease of adding pictures now.

Great times....

image.jpeg.e24366de25c37c7bb0918462a36219d3.jpeg

Whilst I have largely got use to the new format and yes there have been a few frustrations along the way as you find with any tech changes, we do have to remember that the forum is run on peanuts as it always been the priority not to charge membership fees or have the pages riddled with ads.  So it is down to those volunteers who have IT skills to do their best in their own time to keep things going and up date with such limited resources.  

Hats off to you all in the team who have played a part in keeping the forum going which was in danger of being taken out altogether by malious actions of those who have nothing else better to do than spoli others enjoyment.

But I will take opportunity to ask if a preview pane is availble before posting replies, as it just seems you get the "Submit Reply" only and before posting I miss the opportunity (in particular) to see that links work as expected?

Edit! And correct spelling mistakes....opps

Edited by Ebized

20 minutes ago, Ebized said:

Big, big plus is the ease of adding pictures now.

Great times....

image.jpeg.e24366de25c37c7bb0918462a36219d3.jpeg

Whilst I have largely got use to the new format and yes there have been a few frustrations along the way as you find with any tech changes, we do have to remember that the forum is run on peanuts as it always been the priority not to charge membership fees or have the pages riddled with ads.  So it is down to those volunteers who have IT skills to do their best in their own time to keep things going and up date with such limited resources.  

Hats off to you all in the team who have played a part in keeping the forum going which was in danger of being taken out altogether by malious actions of those who have nothing else better to do than spoli others enjoyment.

But I will take opportunity to ask if a preview pane is availble before posting replies, as it just seems you get the "Submit Reply" only and before posting I miss the opportunity (in particular) to see that links work as expected?

Edit! And correct spelling mistakes....opps

The reply box is it's own preview pane. 

Provided your link starts with http then the link is active in your reply box and is clickable. 

Same with pics and formatting. All show up as they will when posted. 

Mobile use on safari, I think it works well!

Page jump to top button, on the mobile site would be a great feature, or fix the top nav bar, so it scrolls with you down the page. 

Edited by nipwahh

There's only 2 things I can think of that need changed

i agree completely with marzman that the sentence to describe the post makes it a bit long winded. Before it was the name of the last poster and the forum the thread is in, bullet points rather than a sentence. And the OP has their avatar on the thread so you know who started it

the other is the lack of a capital letter at the start of a new paragraph. Sounds pedantic but it messes up the autocorrect as well, as if the enter button doesn't leave a gap so should be an easy fix?

ive found the forum quieter since the change but I think people are picking up on the changes now and it feels a bit more lively 

• Like 1

Sadly I have to echo what a lot of other people are saying in that it seems harder to easily skim/lack of flow. It's something that's hard to put your finger on though and as someone who works in software dev I can appreciate that it's hard feedback to work with as there isn't a clearly defined problem but it just feels awkward to use...which is probably of no help haha

The place does seem dead in comparison to the old skin but it seems your hand was forced in this upgrade.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the OP. I used to check this forum multiple times per day, but now I find myself barely checking it. The only reason I even came on here this week is because someone I know in person linked me to the thread. I don't mean to belittle the work of the team in any way, as I know they have done all of this work for free in their spare time. However, the new layout is just way too bulky. It takes far more scrolls and clicks to get to places than the old layout did - it feels like a chore to use. I would be interested in knowing how much the usage metrics have changed before/after, as the forum certainly feels much more quiet than before the change.

• Like 1

Mustadmit I don't like it as much as the old one but no doubt will get used to it eventually. One moan is that every time I log on I have to set the preference to  "since last logged on" the default seems to be 365 days, am I missing something here.