Xtreme clutch kit.

leebottrill

Had the xtreme clutch kit fitted last week (HR) and I've got some questions that hopefully some people who've had after market clutches can help with. 

1-clutch pedal feel buzzy when in really high revs. (I also have some metallic rattle when I lift off at high revs, I think it's the pedal) 

2-seems to be slightly harder to get into the gears when in high revs. (More a gear box problem?)  I've had a couple of crunches.

3-my mechanic said the clutch wasn't "brand new" but refurbished. Is this common when buying a new clutch? 

4-the car generally sounds slightly different. Maybe a little bit more throaty in the exhaust. could this be that the engine is revving Freer with the lightened flywheel or could it be that there's a slight air leak? 

The car seems to be running well, and feels a tiny bit more powerful! 

Edited by leebottrill

1-clutch pedal feel buzzy when in really high revs. (I also have some metallic rattle when I lift off at high revs, I think it's the pedal) 

Probably due to the lightweight flywheel giving more  transfer of engine vibration.

2-seems to be slightly harder to get into the gears when in high revs. (More a gear box problem?)  I've had a couple of crunches.

Clutch probably needs more bleeding or you have a weak slave cylinder (they are notoriously fun to bleed completely) slave cylinders on the HR are better than the VQ but there is an upgrade option.

3-my mechanic said the clutch wasn't "brand new" but refurbished. Is this common when buying a new clutch? 

The only time I heard about that was some eBay/web company palming off refurbs as new other than that I have not seen/heard of it. (red flag though and if it is a refurb that may be a cause of the "buzzy" feel from question 1 if it is not balanced.

4-the car generally sounds slightly different. Maybe a little bit more throaty in the exhaust. could this be that the engine is revving Freer with the lightened flywheel or could it be that there's a slight air leak?

Assuming you have gone from a dual mass clutch to a single mass then the engine will rev more freely and should both increase and decrease rpm quicker, this may give a slightly different engine noise at a comparative  rpm but won't make it sound more throaty in my mind, having said that my car sounded completely different after I fitted the multi-plate clutch mostly the rattles :lol:

Hope that helps :thumbs:

• Like 1

Thanks for that mate. I bought the Xtreme clutch kit of a good dealer so its the genuine thing. This kit also came with the internal slave. 

The car just feels different. Not bad, but i wanted to know if these differences are normal for a new clutch and lightened flywheel.

I had my extreme clutch kit fitted and it was a little more challenging to get it into gear, not difficult as such, just a bit more notchy.

A month later i had my car re mapped at abbey and after everything was silky smooth even the gear changes.

Not sure what that tells you but maybe someone else with a bit more knowledge on lightweight fly wheels and tuning will pipe up and

provide a logical explanation. At least you know it's not unique to your clutch kit i guess.

• 3 weeks later...